SASS Wire Forum

Ok to be here?

Wyo Joe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m headed to the Orygun Cowboys match on July 24! Hopefully get there early enough to shoot and chat a little and if not just watch some of the competitors and hang out. Thanks all!

hopefully I can put a few (hundred) more rounds through my 45 Colt while there as well. Interested in getting my hands on some of the lighter cowboy load 45 to see if I may want to use that in CAS. I know lots of folks use the light 38spl, I just cannot stand that round! Anybody else feel that way?

ultimately I’m looking to shoot and have fun anyway, so I reckon it doesn’t ultimately matter

3 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Wrong, you can't make posts with requests to buy without a number or your thread will be deleted.

Hmmmm....Moderator???

Seems odd, best place to buy as a newbie.

I can get the selling part...but buying???

44 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmm....Moderator???

Seems odd, best place to buy as a newbie.

I can get the selling part...but buying???

My post in the classified section was deleted, despite people here saying you don't need the number if you want to buy.

1 hour ago, Wyo Joe said:

I’m headed to the Orygun Cowboys match on July 24! Hopefully get there early enough to shoot and chat a little and if not just watch some of the competitors and hang out. Thanks all!

hopefully I can put a few (hundred) more rounds through my 45 Colt while there as well. Interested in getting my hands on some of the lighter cowboy load 45 to see if I may want to use that in CAS. I know lots of folks use the light 38spl, I just cannot stand that round! Anybody else feel that way?

ultimately I’m looking to shoot and have fun anyway, so I reckon it doesn’t ultimately matter

Now, now....don't go bashin' my .38 rounds!!!

BP sub, and full case.

We shoot .45 when shooting CC or have extra .45 ammo, and are too lazy to load more .38's.

Remember SASS CAS requires lead bulletts...

Shot shells are lead as well.

Have fun at the match!!!

28 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

My post in the classified section was deleted, despite people here saying you don't need the number if you want to buy.

Hmmmm....lets see what the moderator says.

On the forum menu page, the Classifieds description states: "Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted. "

https://forums.sassnet.com/

I'm not a moderator.

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now, now....don't go bashin' my .38 rounds!!!

BP sub, and full case.

We shoot .45 when shooting CC or have extra .45 ammo, and are too lazy to load more .38's.

Remember SASS CAS requires lead bulletts...

Shot shells are lead as well.

Have fun at the match!!!

No I totally get shooting a 38, easier on the body, easier to keep on target, there’s just something about it I don’t like haha. But I’m sure I’ll change my mind a hundred times, probably just going to need to get setup for both 45 Colt and 357mag

2 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

No I totally get shooting a 38, easier on the body, easier to keep on target, there’s just something about it I don’t like haha. But I’m sure I’ll change my mind a hundred times, probably just going to need to get setup for both 45 Colt and 357mag

Most of us shoot .38 for the cost factor.

Components are cheaper, as well as less powder used.

Need .40 and above to shoot CC (also one handed and costume specific) is why we have kept the .45.

We won a set of .45 Smoke Wagons at our first big match at Tin Star Ranch!!!

33 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Go to SASSNET.COM and download the Shooters Handbook (bottom of the page)

RO I and RO II would not hurt either.

Lots of information.

Pay special attention to:

- No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

(emphasis added)

I'm still wondering what incident caused that clause to be put in.  There has GOT to be a good story behind it.

48 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

On the forum menu page, the Classifieds description states: "Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted. "

https://forums.sassnet.com/

I'm not a moderator.

Thanks for clarifying...guess it is yet one more perk for your membership.

(Less than $10 a month!)

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Pay special attention to:

(emphasis added)

I'm still wondering what incident caused that clause to be put in.  There has GOT to be a good story behind it.

I used to be able to keep a shotty shell , nestled 'tween "the girls"!:wub:

Now it would just fall to my boot!!!:blink:

9 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I used to be able to keep a shotty shell , nestled 'tween "the girls"!:wub:

Now it would just fall to my boot!!!:blink:

Bend forward when tight lacing your corset.  Problem solved!  :D

18 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Hangin in there for the most part.  Trying to think about what to do withmyowndangself when I can finally retire.  There's time to ponder.

When I retired I wrote a couple of books, moved to Arizona and bought a house, odd jobs and remodeling, building models and playing with my trains, collect pocket watches and walking sticks.....whatthehellever I want to do.  You may find new interests, too.  For instance, I'm trying to earn a black belt in napping, messing around in the kitchen inventing new dishes (NOTE: refried beans on a stick doesn't work), accumulating more guns than I can find time to shoot....and can't afford ammo if I do find time, picking on the few liberals in out valley, spoiling my dog, and the kist goes on.

Stop by for a visit and I can tutor you on goofing off and lazing around.

8 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Wrong, you can't make posts with requests to buy without a number or your thread will be deleted.

CLASSIFIEDS FORUM GUIDELINES:

- You must be a registered member to post in the Classifieds. (no Guests) 

20 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When I retired I wrote a couple of books, moved to Arizona and bought a house, odd jobs and remodeling, building models and playing with my trains, collect pocket watches and walking sticks.....whatthehellever I want to do.  You may find new interests, too.  For instance, I'm trying to earn a black belt in napping, messing around in the kitchen inventing new dishes (NOTE: refried beans on a stick doesn't work), accumulating more guns than I can find time to shoot....and can't afford ammo if I do find time, picking on the few liberals in out valley, spoiling my dog, and the kist goes on.

Stop by for a visit and I can tutor you on goofing off and lazing around.

I'm pretty dang good at goofing off and lazing around.  I'm also really good at napping.  But a visit sounds like a good plan.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Good people. I could tell you some stories, just suffice it to say they took the high road. I used to shoot there often, before I moved to Texas.

That could get you jail time Okie. :D

Now for the one rule. Always capitalize Saloon  (ACS)

Bottles start a tab. NO NO NO; not with my name on it. Wyo Joe needs one as he's buying the first of many rounds. :P 

Welcome to the place. Good bunch here overall, ignore the stinkers and have FUN.

PS: Mods put all these drinks on @Sedalia Dave's tab, he said it's ok...

glad your here and interested , just remember - life happens while we are making plans , dont put it off , join in and by all means get to a few matches to get to know folks in your area , you can get a lot of help that way , 

• 3 weeks later...

First match yesterday at the local club…. Check!

12g sxs coach…. Check! 

Pair of Vaqueros (faced chamber, crowned barrel, trigger job, action job, transfer bar removal and weld over, ejection rod smoothing and extension, bisley grip swap, accurized (real word) for cowboy action, sand blasted)…. Check!

Now I’m just going to need to hunt for a cheaper leather rig and an 1873 rifle and we are close to in business 

4B01B109-0779-4188-A7CE-EA984DD74969.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wyo Joe said:

First match yesterday at the local club…. Check!

12g sxs coach…. Check! 

Pair of Vaqueros (faced chamber, crowned barrel, trigger job, action job, transfer bar removal and weld over, ejection rod smoothing and extension, bisley grip swap, accurized (real word) for cowboy action, sand blasted)…. Check!

Now I’m just going to need to hunt for a cheaper leather rig and an 1873 rifle and we are close to in business 

4B01B109-0779-4188-A7CE-EA984DD74969.jpeg

Congrats.

Do yourself a favor and get good a good leather rig; don't cheap out. The Mernickle Starter rig is good or ask around at your club and see if there is good local maker. Get something made for THIS game.

I'm sure you'll find a 73 with a little patience. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Congrats.

Do yourself a favor and get good a good leather rig; don't cheap out. The Mernickle Starter rig is good or ask around at your club and see if there is good local maker. Get something made for THIS game.

I'm sure you'll find a 73 with a little patience. 

yeah I’ve been checking out Mernickle, also Ted Blocker is local here in Oregon as well. 

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The saying goes...

Your biggest mistakes (and expensive) is buying the wrong guns and leather!

Buy a good set of leather...

Your pistols are GREAT!

You'll find that '73!

talking to the misses about why I need a $500-700 rig right now actually hahaha. I mean, I’m like look if I get a cheaper rig I’m just going to end up getting this rig anyway later on, so it’s actually cheaper to get the more expensive rig now! I think that’s logical hahahaha. 

1 minute ago, Wyo Joe said:

talking to the misses about why I need a $500-700 rig right now actually hahaha. I mean, I’m like look if I get a cheaper rig I’m just going to end up getting this rig anyway later on, so it’s actually cheaper to get the more expensive rig now! I think that’s logical hahahaha. 

It is true!!!

So next time SHE wants the state of the art vacumme or oven...don't forget that logic!!;)

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It is true!!!

So next time SHE wants the state of the art vacumme or oven...don't forget that logic!!;)

oh crap! This might end up costing me a pretty Penny if she remembers my logic later on hahahahaha. 

Seriously though.

I did finally treat myself to a lower end Mernickle rig, after 15 years.

I don't and won't need more for what I do.

My times have improved, as the fit is there, the better ease on drawing my pistols, no leather in the way...ect.

It was a good investment.

Ended up scooping up Major Art Tillerys Rig that he was selling on the wire. Gonna start cross draw for now!

Picked up a Johnny Meadows Uberti 1873 so in a few weeks hopefully I’ll be ready for my first match. 

B9E6BEB3-42FA-4ACB-9E2C-F8812950B6C7.jpeg

0A603D45-EB20-429C-B8B7-2967D81143DD.jpeg

EE87BDFE-E09D-439A-81A6-0A08CDDA8C13.jpeg

On 7/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Welcome to the fire, Wyo Joe. :D

Check out the Molalla River Rangers in Canby. I shot with them when I lived in Oregon. Great bunch of folks. 

They will have a SASS orientation on Aug 15th and again on Oct 17th.  Clackamas County is a good location for cowboy shooting.  Also, check out the club in Ariel, WA.  I know the people who run it and am sure they would welcome you.  Time to get started before the cold, winter rainy season starts.

I’ll be shooting tomorrow at Orygun Cowboys at the TriCounty Gun Club. Before anyone gets too excited, remember that my full SASS name is Wyoming Joe Lento… Lento being Spanish for SLOW hahahahaha

Archived