SASS Wire Forum

Ok to be here?

Wyo Joe

Is it ok to be here if I am not yet a SASS member? I’m adding guns to my collection so I can get started, getting access (hopefully) to a range where I can practice, etc. so I am hoping I can shoot SASS someday soon, just didn’t get membership yet since I don’t even have the ability to shoot it yet.

Taylor 45LC tuned Smoke Wagon image to thank you for stopping by!

AEBE490B-B056-499B-9D47-FBE3615277A4.jpeg

06B0F46C-6F40-45A4-AA74-3D34A6A5F2F9.jpeg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard.  You can get answers to all your questions here.  (Some of them are even good answers. :P :D)

First thing you'll need to do is find a fairly local club and someone to be your "rabbi".  No sweat there.  You'll never find and more friendly and helpful group.

<<<<(points to his info)
Been here for years, not a SASS member.  Just interesting in things that shoot, militaria, and history.  I had been seriously thinking, but things changed and had to sell off most of our firearms.  Haven't replaced them yet.   Only rarely does anyone give me any kind of grief about my status.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

<<<<(points to his info)
Been here for years, not a SASS member.  Just interesting in things that shoot, militaria, and history.  I had been seriously thinking, but things changed and had to sell off most of our firearms.  Haven't replaced them yet.   Only rarely does anyone give me any kind of grief about my status.

You offer me much, Sir!:wub:

14 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

Is it ok to be here if I am not yet a SASS member? I’m adding guns to my collection so I can get started, getting access (hopefully) to a range where I can practice, etc. so I am hoping I can shoot SASS someday soon, just didn’t get membership yet since I don’t even have the ability to shoot it yet.

Taylor 45LC tuned Smoke Wagon image to thank you for stopping by!

AEBE490B-B056-499B-9D47-FBE3615277A4.jpeg

06B0F46C-6F40-45A4-AA74-3D34A6A5F2F9.jpeg

Tell us where you are located. You really need to visit a local club and see what people are shooting. It would be best to ask questions in person and even try different arms BEFORE you buy. If you contact someone at the club they may even make arrangements for you to shoot some stages after the match.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, Wyo Joe said:

Is it ok to be here if I am not yet a SASS member?

You can participate in conversations all you want. You can buy all you want in the classifieds. But, you need to be a SASS member to sell POST in the classifieds.

34 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why don't you "even have the ability to shoot it yet?"  Very nice gun.  You need to shoot it.

oh i shot the hell out of that 45 colt already, just meant not in any sort of SASS scenarios. Have to wait until around October before my local gun club opens up for new members. 

32 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ and where is it that you are ?

I am in the Portland Oregon area. 

32 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome!

If you haven’t been to a match yet, do that before you buy anything else.

I have been to a match, watch them frequently online as well

19 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Tell us where you are located. You really need to visit a local club and see what people are shooting. It would be best to ask questions in person and even try different arms BEFORE you buy. If you contact someone at the club they may even make arrangements for you to shoot some stages after the match.

not sure how to visit until I’m a member at my gun club, need a key card just to get into the darn gate. I’m looking into it more as well to see if there are other CAS clubs nearby I can check out. I’ve shot quite a few of the rifles, shotguns, pistols that are used in CAS, but certainly am here to learn about what is and is not solid for CAS

5 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

oh i shot the hell out of that 45 colt already, just meant not in any sort of SASS scenarios. Have to wait until around October before my local gun club opens up for new members. 

not sure how to visit until I’m a member at my gun club, need a key card just to get into the darn gate. I’m looking into it more as well to see if there are other CAS clubs nearby I can check out. I’ve shot quite a few of the rifles, shotguns, pistols that are used in CAS, but certainly am here to learn about what is and is not solid for CAS

Screenshot_20210707-182505_Chrome.jpg

20210707_182555.jpg

18 minutes ago, Singin&#x27; Sue 71615 said:

Screenshot_20210707-182505_Chrome.jpg

20210707_182555.jpg

thank you! Didn’t realize they let in guests for matches, what a dope I am. Hopefully I can go check out their July 24 match. Thank you for the heads up

8 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

The Orygun Cowboys are near you, and they are very friendly folks.

just emailed them! Thanks!

Just now, Wyo Joe said:

thank you! Didn’t realize they let in guests for matches, what a dope I am. Hopefully I can go check out their July 24 match. Thank you for the heads up

Good people. I could tell you some stories, just suffice it to say they took the high road. I used to shoot there often, before I moved to Texas.

9 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

I am not aware of any Cowboy club that requires you to be a a member to shoot, much less watch. There is normally a reduced match fee for club members.  

20 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

All matches invite guests...and are very guest friendly.

Take Eye protection (mandatory) and ear protection is recomended.

Now...I recomend calling the contact number prior to going out.

If it is a monthly match (practice) you may be invited to join in and use folks guns.

Annual and State or above, you will be asked to stay behind the group. Monthly, you most likely will be brought up close and personal.

If you call and say you will be out, make sure you go. Someone has probably loaded some extra ammo, or loaded extra gear in their vehicle for you to use...just probably.;)

Welcome to the fire, Wyo Joe. :D

Check out the Molalla River Rangers in Canby. I shot with them when I lived in Oregon. Great bunch of folks. 

1 hour ago, Wyo Joe said:

........ please note: there is soooooo much mooooooore to the game than what you see online. And online does NOT show any of the social aspect, which many of us think is possibly the most important and fun part.  B)

1 hour ago, Wyo Joe said:

Get in touch with the listed POC for the club. They'll let you know how to get in.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

<<<<(points to his info)

..... been meanin' to talk to you about this. .....(sez I, what ain't the least bit financial neither ... )   :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

<<<<(points to his info)

WHATTT??? You... You... B-B-But... I thought... Huh... Guess I never realized. But the place wouldn't be the same without you, and not for the better.

46 minutes ago, DocWard said:

WHATTT??? You... You... B-B-But... I thought... Huh... Guess I never realized. But the place wouldn't be the same without you, and not for the better.

Thanks,  Doc.  That means a lot to me. 

3 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Sure, by all means. I joined as a SASS member but haven't shot a CAS match for many years, and don't pay dues. But I've kept all of my cowboy guns, shoot them regularly, and consider myself belonging!

Another mind like like mine....and it doesn't hurt a bit to be eccentric.  I joined SASS in 1993.

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ please note: there is soooooo much mooooooore to the game than what you see online. And online does NOT show any of the social aspect, which many of us think is possibly the most important and fun part.  B)

Are you suggesting that some folks DON'T think it's important?  That's almost sacreligious.  Them other folks, Joe, not you.  You're just peculiar.

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Are you suggesting that some folks DON'T think it's important?  That's almost sacreligious.  Them other folks, Joe, not you.  You're just peculiar.

Believe it or not, some don't.  On the other hand, at multi day matches I bring a bottle (or 3), visit and chat.  I figure if I have some booze, someone will eventually feed me.  Seems to work.  The tales can get rather tall and the fish get pretty big.

51 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Believe it or not, some don't.  On the other hand, at multi day matches I bring a bottle (or 3), visit and chat.  I figure if I have some booze, someone will eventually feed me.  Seems to work.  The tales can get rather tall and the fish get pretty big.

You are a very straight forward and friendly mooch.  How have you been, Doc?  Haven't seen much of you recently.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You are a very straight forward and friendly mooch.  How have you been, Doc?  Haven't seen much of you recently.

Hangin in there for the most part.  Trying to think about what to do withmyowndangself when I can finally retire.  There's time to ponder.

Go shoot!  Pretty guns are made to use.  Just start, you do not need to shoot lots, just do it and have fun......  Go to a shoot and get pointers and become a part of it, welcome aboard.

14 hours ago, Cholla said:

You can participate in conversations all you want. You can buy all you want in the classifieds. But, you need to be a SASS member to sell in the classifieds.

Wrong, you can't make posts with requests to buy without a number or your thread will be deleted.

Archived