SASS Wire Forum

Pardo’s push

I read this story elsewhere and though it would be a good read for the Saloon.

This is a paragraph from the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardo's_Push

Pardo then tried to use Aman's tailhook to push the plane. The Phantom, having been originally designed as a naval aircraft for the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps, was equipped with a heavy duty tailhook for landings aboard aircraft carriers and for emergency arrestments ashore. Aman lowered his tailhook and Pardo moved behind Aman until the tailhook was against Pardo's windscreen. Aman then shut down both of his J79 jet engines. The push worked, reducing the rate of descent considerably, but the tailhook slipped off the windscreen every 15 to 30 seconds and Pardo would have to reposition his plane. Pardo also struggled with a fire in one of his own engines and eventually had to shut it down. In the remaining 10 minutes of flight time, Pardo used the one last engine to slow the descent of both planes.

The military and especially the AF never ceases to amaze me with their infinite wisdom. The AF is the most bureaucratic organization in the world. Their "bible" is that  "if it's not authorized, then it's prohibited". I'm sure this maneuver is not authorized, therefore the threat of a  Court Martial. The Naval service  "bible" is that "if it's not prohibited, then it's authorized". Both aircraft had been hit and Aman's was such he was facing an ejection over gomerland. Pardo's plane was such he might have had to eject also. Pardo used an old Marine Corps phrase "improvise, adapt and overcome". The powers that were should have congratulated him for saving 2 aviators, plus his own ass. No, they wanted to chide him. Totally unreal.

Archived