SASS Wire Forum

Online Vendors for Powder

bgavin

I'm hunting for any new recommendations for major online vendors that carry powder.
(So far) it is still legal to ship powder and primers to CA.

I am hunting many times daily for H4895... no luck anywhere.

• Midway
• Midsouth
• Grafs
• Natchez
• Powder Valley

These vendors are fast and easy to search multiple times each day.
Brownells, etc are more difficult, as one has to dig through their menus.

Bass Pro, Sportsmans, et al, is perpetually out of powder.

Q: does anybody have other recommendations?

I check them several times daily as well.
Their order processor is marked "down" for the last several days, so they aren't selling anything.

Midsouth just popped up a whole slew of Hodgdon and IMR powders in the last hour.
Still no H4895, but they are now having H4198 in stock.. so I let my neighbor know, as he wants this.

39 minutes ago, bgavin said:

H4895,

FEH!  Passing fad that will never catch on!  Try https://www.jackspowderkeg.com/  or https://powderinc.com/  Goex, Schutzen, KIK, Swiss.  

If you call Jacks, be aware that the phone may be answered "Judge Somebodyorother's Office."  Yeah, guy who runs it is or was a real judge.  First time I called I thought, "Holy carp!  What did I get myself into!"  I think they get a kick out of it.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I want H4895 for 243 and 30-06 loads.. nothing to do with BP or SASS.

I picked up three pounds of WW760 for .243 and .270. I really like it. It's the same as the discontinued H414.

H4895 is ideal for reduced loads.
Hodgdon says it is "the" powder for this, because it is the easiest to ignite with reduced loads.
I've worked up some 60,70,80,90% loads for 243 to reduce the barrel-burner aspect of that cartridge.

760 and H414 will get ya some 8600 to 12,500 joules in the published loads.

This will really make those .243 fly

[ edit ]

Subdeacon Joe.. NP.
I'm too damn lazy to clean up BP mess, so I have zero interest in shooting it.

@bgavin

Have you looked into other similar powders?

The Hodgdon “burn rate” chart can help you find similar powders. 
https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/burn-rate-color.pdf

I use IMR4895 for .308 and .30-30 loads. It is very similar to H4895. From what I have read IMR4895 is slightly slower. I have no experience with the Vihtavuori powders. 

H4895 is quite specific in its properties.
It's formulation is unique from IMR 4895 and VV N135 even with similar burn rates.

H4895 is the only powder that Hodgdon recommends for reduced loads because it is the most easy to ignite.
H4895 is a single base powder and its potential energy in Joules/CC is midway between N32C on the low end, and Bullseye on the high end.

Published loads operate within the linear range of Min/Max pressures.
Hodgdon publishes both velocity and pressure for Min and Max published loads.
One can interpolate this linear range... remember the ol' "Y=Mx + B" from your school days?
I calculate the slope for both PSI and FPS then plug in charge values of Max downto 60% Max to get the reduced load PSI and FPS.

The intent is reducing the heat (Joules) and PSI in the chamber of the 243, and reducing the FPS (recoil) in the 30-06.
I calculate the load  total Joules from the grains per charge x energy potential in Joules/Grain.

Article.Iowegan.The Mystery of Smokeless Gunpowder.Pressure.Linear.Image.jpg

Archived