SASS Wire Forum

Library emergency

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

My son-in-law's mother lived with them. In the bathroom she used they had put a taller toilet seat on it. The seat was about 4 inches high. I used it while I was there, because the other bathroom was upstairs by the bedrooms. I did not particularly like it because the top of the seat was indented for your legs - like finger grooves on a pistol grip. If they fit your legs that might be wonderful, but mine did not fit in the dents.

But maybe someone makes a tall toilet seat that's just shaped like a toilet seat on top.

Actually that's something I need to look into. B)

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Carex-Elderly-Handicap-Elongated-Toilets/dp/B000AEGCRQ/ref=zg_bs_3775401_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5JVEEVQAPJD1W28RN657

Alpo, 

We had one of those riser inserts for my Mother. You see that knob in front? That is supposed to allow you to tighten a clamp onto the bowl to hold it still. That didn’t work very well and the insert would move around. That made my 95 year old mother nervous. Since then I’ve had two chair height toilets installed in the house. I kept one at standard height for kids and shorter people like my SIL. The worst is when I visit a friend who’s house was “Modern” in the 50’s. They have extra low toilets. Need a crane to get off those. It’s like Kindergarten height.

CJ

On 7/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

So since a lot of you are also "senior" citizens what do you do to alleve the problem?

Metamucil.
1 big heaping tablespoon in (at least) a pint of water every day.
An added benefit is it sweeps cholesterol from your system, instead of it being reabsorbed and sent back to your liver.

Make business deals and Supreme Court decisions on the golf course... not on the head where you cut off the blood supply to your feet.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Had not thought about throne height.  Have not noticed them at Home Deport or Lowes.  I'll look again.

We put one in the back bath when my dad was visiting.

He had both knees done at 84 and 85...gained back an 1" 1/2 height. 6' 2"

Anywhoo...we have replaced both baths at the cabin with tall boys...so your visit will be good!!!

16.5" is the tallest at the store.

I believe you can order 17" online.

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Alpo, 

We had one of those riser inserts for my Mother. You see that knob in front? That is supposed to allow you to tighten a clamp onto the bowl to hold it still. That didn’t work very well and the insert would move around. That made my 95 year old mother nervous. Since then I’ve had two chair height toilets installed in the house. I kept one at standard height for kids and shorter people like my SIL. The worst is when I visit a friend who’s house was “Modern” in the 50’s. They have extra low toilets. Need a crane to get off those. It’s like Kindergarten height.

CJ

The risers are great for emergency....but they need cleaning more than one would like!!!

On 7/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I keep a magazine rack in the bathroom and read magazines while engaged in certain necessary functions.  More and more frequently sometimes I get involved in an article and read for a little too long and my feet and legs go to sleep.  So since a lot of you are also "senior" citizens what do you do to alleve the problem?  Set a timer?  Put an eye bolt in an overhead stud with a rope?  Install hand rails?  I don't have one of those "help, I've fallen and can't get up" devices.  Maybe it is time to consider getting one?  Any suggestions?

Replace the manly magazines with feminine magazines.  In 5 minutes and you've read all the joke and worthwhile articles, way before your legs go to sleep.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We put one in the back bath when my dad was visiting.

He had both knees done at 84 and 85...gained back an 1" 1/2 height. 6' 2"

Anywhoo...we have replaced both baths at the cabin with tall boys...so your visit will be good!!!

16.5" is the tallest at the store.

I believe you can order 17" online.

You can order up to 21" online or special order in stores.  Good for people 6'5" or more.  

Install a high quality contoured wooden toilet seat, Supports your backside better by spreading out the load.

Oval designs support better than round.

Handicap hand rails. Easy to install. Just be sure to read the directions first. They also do double duty as a convenient storage location for a can of air freshener.

To test heights compare the height of the toilet seat in a handicap stall vs the one in your home.

1 hour ago, El diablo gringo said:

Well this topic has killed my view of retirement.  I’ll stick to being young. 

thx guys

Gringo

i was thinking that as well even tho its far too late for me - save yourself , i just dont spend much time thinkin on this as i dont spend much time in that process - no library needed , 

Cushioned commode seat? 

I got one of those several years back. After about 6 months the plastic started breaking and tearing, exposing the foam rubber, which of course soaked up any overspray. And even if the seat didn't start to smell like pee, the broken plastic covering was irritating on the bottom of the thighs.

I don't recommend them.

16 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Shame on you!!!!

I really don't care to know how to apply eyeliner or apply hair highlights or the best "lift and separate".   Most of the time is spent looking for the paragraph or two on home repairs and the comics.

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Still love ya!!!

Except for Cosmo...most have good stuff with actual worthwhile info!:rolleyes:

I'll put a request into Household Management to upgrade their reading material to included Cosmos, on your recommendation.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I'll put a request into Household Management to upgrade their reading material to included Cosmos, on your recommendation.

Hahahaha!!!

Be warned...Cosmo has many, many quizes....and you may be asked to participate!

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

I got one of those several years back. After about 6 months the plastic started breaking and tearing, exposing the foam rubber, which of course soaked up any overspray. And even if the seat didn't start to smell like pee, the broken plastic covering was irritating on the bottom of the thighs.

I don't recommend them.

They make solid gel pads to go on the hard plastic.  No cheap vinyl to crack.  Getting a seat that fits your shape is better than trying to cushion a poor fit.

It works well to cushion a canoe seat, peel and stick, no trapped water.

7 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

As a port mortum here is a toilet I found at Lowe's.  Will kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.:o  Higher and jam proof.

IMG_1920.JPG

We have a perfectly good toilet in the garage...with a ball from a ball pit wedged in there so tight! It was easier to remove the toilet, than to remove the ball!!!

On 7/9/2021 at 6:13 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Still love ya!!!

Except for Cosmo...most have good stuff with actual worthwhile info!:rolleyes:

Cosmo should be required reading for most guys.

Archived