SASS Wire Forum

when did they take ash trays out of car and trucks?

Dirty Dog Doug

I had a 70 Cadilliac with 4 ashtrays and 4 lighters 

my 2002 F150 has removable ashtray in the cup holders

my 2016 Flex  has power ports all over  but no lighters and No ash tray 

My wife’s 2007 Suburban has no ashtray. My 2006 Miata has no ashtray, but my 2005 Miata did. My 2002 Chevy S10 ZR2 has an ashtray. 

I am guessing most were phased out in the mid-Oughts. 

...automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90’s. By the 2000’s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don’t even do that.

SOURCE

My new car has a cigarette lighter but no ash tray.  The lighter plug is supposed to be a power souce for electronics.  I plug my phone charging cord into it.  I never smoked but the ash tray was a good place to store change or other small items.

My 2002 Chevy 3500 has an ash tray, two power supply outlets and a cigarette lighter outlet.  The ashtray has held pens and keys since bought new by my dad in 2001.  

I had one in a 98 Blazer!! None in my 2006 Pontiac Vibe or 2012 Buick Verano or any since, 2013 and 2017 Buick Encores.

Through the 80s and 90s in my Ford pickups I had a radar detector mounted underneath the ashtray.

When I got out I would pull open the ashtray to hide the radar detector as they were a pretty hot item to steal in those days.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I never smoked but the ash tray was a good place to store change or other small items.

My Toyota Sienna has a 'change drawer' in the left lower dash, near the driver's door. I never knew it was there  for a long time.

They aren't making vehicles to be convenient!! I have a bad right arm and you ought to see me try and work the touch screen controls while driving. And they say cell phones are bad!! I have to hold the wheel with my knee and then lift my right arm over to use the screen. You gotta love it.

My 2002 F-250 still has a lighter and ash tray!

My 2012 Silverado has an ashtray, but not enough ports to plug into. Back in the early 90's, my boss bought a new F150 and was pissed because it didn't have vent windows. He was a smoker.

You can buy ashtrays that are made to fit into cup holders ... 

These can be bought on Amazon ... Auto Stores etc but I remember not too long ago seeing them offered in a manufacture's vehicle accessory listings ... (cup holder conversion). 

edit: Heck ... just looked for the fun of it ... used a Chevrolet 2021 Colorado interior accessory listing and found a "Smoker's Package" ... gives you a lighter ... cup holder insert etc etc etc ...

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/interior/smokers-package-in-black-23136255?model=Colorado&year=2021&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=12003

Howdy,

A few years back MINI offered a drop in ashtray that closed

to prevent ashes from blowing around.

No reason one couldnt be put in any cupholder.

A friend had a firebird live up to its name.

Change bounced out of ashtray and shorted wires behind the dash.

Car burned all by itself.

She watched from her kitchen.

Best

CR

a pack of smokes for 8.72 on sale at corner gas station.

What does that come to in 20 years>  outch.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

My 2012 Silverado has an ashtray, but not enough ports to plug into. Back in the early 90's, my boss bought a new F150 and was pissed because it didn't have vent windows. He was a smoker.

Are you sure it was a Ford?  My '96 still had vent windows.

The ashtray and cigarette lighters were popular in cars from the '50s and '60s and became a staple for the interior for years after that. It wasn't until the '90s that automakers started phasing them out altogether.

14 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

You can buy ashtrays that are made to fit into cup holders ... 

These can be bought on Amazon ... Auto Stores etc but I remember not too long ago seeing them offered in a manufacture's vehicle accessory listings ... (cup holder conversion). 

edit: Heck ... just looked for the fun of it ... used a Chevrolet 2021 Colorado interior accessory listing and found a "Smoker's Package" ... gives you a lighter ... cup holder insert etc etc etc ...

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/interior/smokers-package-in-black-23136255?model=Colorado&year=2021&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=12003

My 2004Mazda came with an ashtray insert that fit into the center console cupholder.  It came out the minute I came home and never went back in.  I found it in the garage the other day, even though I no longer own the car.

18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

power ports ...... so playing with plugged-in electronics whilst driving is safer than smoking whilst driving ??   :huh:

Actually, the smoking wasn't dangerous. Finding the ashtray with your cigarette butt wasn't dangerous either. The lighter popping out of the dashboard onto the floorboard caused a few problems though. I can attest to this.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Actually, the smoking wasn't dangerous. Finding the ashtray with your cigarette butt wasn't dangerous either. The lighter popping out of the dashboard onto the floorboard caused a few problems though. I can attest to this.

Uno use to like sitting cross legged in my old Mazda.  When he did so, he would almost always manage to push the "lighter" in with his foot.  On several occasions, it rocketed back at him flaming hot.  We removed it shortly after the last episode.

Archived