SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms Yellowboy sight question

Bugler

In 1971 or so we bought my dad a Navy Arms replica of the Yellowboy in .38 special...........fast forward to last summer when the rifle slid off the bench and broke the rear sight.

Anyone have an idea as to what dove tail Navy Arms used on these......I believe most, if not all dimensions were metric.

The sight seems to have a much shorter distance from the dovetail to the back of the receiver. I have some Winchester 94 and Marlin sights that are too long. Is this known as a short shank sight? Where can I purchase another?

Thanks to ALL!!!

Bugler

They were all a "nominal" 3/8".  Between the sight dimensions and the dovetail dimensions most will require fitting.  The sight was a carbine ladder sight.  The short shank will still be too long but will work.  The sighting area will just be very close to the receiver.  This is what a lot of people use on these old early Uberti carbines.  Pretty much the same sight as found on a Ruger 10/22.  It is a Marbles available from a variety of sites or Ebay.

p_579069001_2.jpg

I used this one on an early 66 rifle made by Uberti:

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_91&product_id=215

If this does not fit in normal "direction" with the sight blade to the rear, it is usually possible to turn the whole sight around and put the blade out front of the rear sight notch.

But the "no spring arm" sight is very workable, especially if you don't want to reset the sight-in distance frequently.

Call Long Hunter tomorrow and I'm sure they will advise you quite accurately as to the workability of this sight.

good luck, GJ

Nah.  None of the above.  Couple of choices.  A.  Go to VTIgunparts and order up the Ladder Sight used for the 1866, 1873 Carbines and the Henry.  May take a little sizing of the Dovetail on the barrel.  Same same, if you want an even better choice for a correct pattern sight, source up a Smith Enterprises ladder sight.  Elegant.  Well made.  Detent works.  I have several on my Carbines, Henrys and my Trappers.

Archived