SASS Wire Forum

Idea for a "Buffalo Shoot."

I have an idea for a different kind of "Buffalo Shoot" than the way I have seen them done at most places where something called that has been held.

Let's do it this way.  Five "buffalo" targets.  One each at 50, 100, 150, 200 and 300 yards.   The size of real life buffalos.

It might get more people to try it if the targets are actually big enough to see at the longer distances.  :)

This is semi tongue in cheek, but not entirely so.   At a recent shoot, I was able to hit an 8" plate at 65 yards with my .45-70 Lighting.    So I am capable of hitting small targets at longer than main match distances.   But I knew just looking at the targets that if it, or even the 16" plate, the that was with the 8" one, was much further out, that I would not have been able to see it to try to hit it.  I have in the past hit things as far away as 200 yards or so, but they were much larger targets. 

Anyway, just an idea. 

We have corflute buffalo's (near full buffalo size although what would we know about that down under?) and we set up four on the range (that may have to drop to 2/3 as our range has had its arcs reduced) and each shooter has a target to himself. If there are more than four of us we do multiple details of four. We shoot this every month with 5 Sundays in it.

We shoot 10 rds each at  200, 150, and 100 is off hand (pays not to have the 34" Quigley rifle then I will tell you for nothing).

We then go fwd and score and patch and then the next four have a go.

We also have access to a 600m range and we shoot big round tgts that are scored and patched after each shot (there are two guys in the butts who raise and lower the tgt while scoring and patching). We shoot either 300/400/500/550 and 600 once each month and just keep cycling thru the ranges (Jan its 300, Feb its 400, and so on)

So my Pedersoli Boss in 45/70 gets a pretty fair workout with at least one shoot a month and every month with 5 Sundays it gets two.

We're fortunate in that our dedicated long range is 750 meters. But we can go out to 1,000 if we shoot onto BLM land. Which is legal here. We have a long range match the Saturday before one of our cowboy shoots.

We shoot BPCR silhouette in big bore single shot and 22's. BPCR single is 200,300, 385, and 500 22's are 50,100, 150, 200 meters. scopes and iron sights

We shoot WW2 and back military and modern black rifle with scopes.

We have 2/3 scale buffalo targets and a few full size. We put them out at 500, 600, and 700 meters. 

A full size Buffalo at under 200 meters is shooting fish in a barrel unless you create a bulls eye target on the animal IMHO.

We find that are aging shooters have a tough time seeing the targets. Many have gone to using "period" scopes. But thats a lot of money for some occasional shooting!

My pig silhouette, 14.25" X 22.25" last weekend 300 meters open iron sights. Not great but I hit it. Wind got crazy for the further out targets so not so good

20210702_120533.jpg

It's not much of a challenge to shoot at a 300 yard target with my C. Sharps .50-140 650.  I prefer 500 to ,000 yard targets. I also enjoy 100 to 300 yard metal pistol silhouettes. SASS targets are speed targets which I enjoy.

I'm past the age where I can be competitive but young enough to still enjoy shooting.

I have had an itch to try Lever action Silhouette.  they have 2 classes pistol and rifle caliber lever guns.  pistol caliber is 1/2 size targets at 40, 50, 75, and 100yards and rifle caliber is full size silhouettes at 50, 100, 150 ad 200  all off hand. I always thought this would be an excellent side match.

Some random comments based on shooting long range at SASS events.

Few ranges have the ability to shoot more than 200 meters.

BPCR shooters tend to dominate the event

In the past Winter Range has become a "speed event" 

Hell On Wheels has an interesting approach, 7 shots 100 200 300 yards.  Engage 100 until you hit then move on the 200 then 300 max hits wins,  target size can make it challenging.  7 shots tends to more things along.

If range has less then 100 yards or so, then shoot on paper measure for tightest spread

Clubs should post distance and target size, it is only fair for visitors.

Rules-guidelines should also be posted in advance.

Our range here goes out to 900.Full size targets.I haven't shot it in a while but very few people have shot it clean.6 or 7 targets starting at 300 .Pig walking bear Elk Moose Standing Bear Buffalo.5 on each No timer.

Largo

What are these "meters" that some have spoken of?  All of the sights on my cowboy guns are calibrated in yards.

I just said 50-300 yards as random numbers that popped into my head.  If you have a range that can go out 600-1000 yards and if people are interested, go for it.   If the max distance you can fit is 200 yards, then just use those.

Targets the size of a real buffalo don't necessarily need to be steel ones.   A couple of bales of hay and a paper wrapper with a spotting scope is one alternative.    There must be other creative ways to make the big target that would not weigh too much and not be to inconvenient to "reset" as needed.

I have 2 ranges we use for "traditional rifles. For short range (mostly lever action) 30-30/38-55 etc. 200yds to 400yds.

The long range one is 450 to 800 yds. Single shot, mostly 45-70/45-90 but with a heavy bullet 38/55 works.

Both ranges have targets every 50 yds. which helps shooters work their "way out".

Targets on both ranges are 5-6MOA in size.

Many new to setting up long range targets forget that most misses are due to Windage, NOT vertical drop. Make sure targets that have different width/height measurements are wider than tall for ease of hits.

For modern rifles I have targets out to 1 mile.

Back to the original post. We have a number of BPCR shooters in our club. We shoot those distances a lot.

In order to get more people interested we also shoot gong matches. Larger targets much closer.

Our annual Cowboy shoot the long range is just that. Round targets at 100 to 300 meters.

It's not timed. But we put 4 shooters on the line shooting 4 different targets. You shoot and then you have 3 other shooters shooting while you adjust your sights and wipe you bore. We do not separate BP from smokeless because there is more than enough time to clean your bore or use a blow tube. 5 shots each target, each target has a point value. Most points win.  We get a lot of shooters participating because its real long range and not a speed rifle match.

We also do pistol caliber rifle and lever action big bore.

They also put flags at each target for windage.The targets also have flashers to show hits.They did have cameras but needed at least 6 which could get expensive.

Largo

Instead of buffalos how about a target of some guy dancing around taunting Gus on Lonesome Dove. Pistol cartridge only with open sights, just like Gus.

H.K.   MOA =1.047" per 100yds.  Often incorrectly called   Shooters MOA which is  1" per 100yds.

For example my 800yd. target is 4'X4'   6MOA at 800yds is 50.25"

I do have 10 of the Longshot target cameras on my range but a high quality spotting scope is good out to 900yds. After that the cameras are Wonderful.  Also great for small bullet hits (5.56,6mm,6.5mm) out past 700yds. I use them on all targets past 900 and closer with small bullets.

10 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have an idea for a different kind of "Buffalo Shoot" than the way I have seen them done at most places where something called that has been held.

Let's do it this way.  Five "buffalo" targets.  One each at 50, 100, 150, 200 and 300 yards.   The size of real life buffalos.

It might get more people to try it if the targets are actually big enough to see at the longer distances.  :)

This is semi tongue in cheek, but not entirely so.   At a recent shoot, I was able to hit an 8" plate at 65 yards with my .45-70 Lighting.    So I am capable of hitting small targets at longer than main match distances.   But I knew just looking at the targets that if it, or even the 16" plate, the that was with the 8" one, was much further out, that I would not have been able to see it to try to hit it.  I have in the past hit things as far away as 200 yards or so, but they were much larger targets. 

Anyway, just an idea. 

At $32.00 a square foot for 3/8 mild steel, each target would be several hundred dollars

8 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

That's what I thought, too. A rough estimation with 1/4" steel results in about 300 lbs.

1/4 steel is to thin for center fire rifles.

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What are these "meters" that some have spoken of?  All of the sights on my cowboy guns are calibrated in yards.

I know, you had a little stoush in 1775-1783 so you didn't need to care what the rest of us did but just to answer your question.

As you can see you are in good company:rolleyes:

18300.jpeg

Wind  and mirage are not your friend. We have two rows of wind flags from 50 meters out to 500 meters. With our terrain and wind conditions the flags have been know to fly in all directions at the same time. At 500 meters we are sometimes 10 feet to the right or left of the target. Same drop vertically.

The Tejas Caballeros in Blanco, Texas have created a long range facility out to 400 yards. It features a white buffalo target made from a 4'x8' 3/8 inch metal sheet. It is close to the size of a buffalo cow. We use a template to repaint the target. It's on top of a hill in the Texas Hill Country. The Cabs are building a covered buffalo camp and have nine shooting tables so far.

https://tejascaballeros.net/index.php/cabs-long-range/

261469076_TejasCaballerosLongRange.thumb.jpeg.b92165ff01b83facf25862d7b6a69df6.jpegIMG_2429.thumb.jpeg.ac726cf9d4eef4cdb8d1d29fc4b78914.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Wind  and mirage are not your friend. We have two rows of wind flags from 50 meters out to 500 meters. With our terrain and wind conditions the flags have been know to fly in all directions at the same time. At 500 meters we are sometimes 10 feet to the right or left of the target. Same drop vertically.

Very acommadating of you to have those flags out there. Wind can definitely change direction and velocity at various ranges.  One question, though...did the buffalo hunters find a herd and sneak out to plant such flags at various ranges?   Club I used to shoot at had a full-sized steel buffalo out about 385 yards.  The late Cathouse Bill Blattler and I used to finish the regular matches and take one of his Ruger Blackhawks in .45 LC, and a fairly stout load and shoot offhand.  We could both usually hit three out of five times.  Sadly, Bill "crossed the divide" several years ago, and the club was forced to move.

5 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I know, you had a little stoush in 1775-1783 so you didn't need to care what the rest of us did but just to answer your question.

As you can see you are in good company:rolleyes:

18300.jpeg

Hey, just because the rest of the world decided to listen to a bunch of crazy Frenchmen doesn't mean that they were right.

It is weird in England.   When I was there, everything seemed to be in normal measurements except temperature.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Some random comments based on shooting long range at SASS events.

Few ranges have the ability to shoot more than 200 meters.

BPCR shooters tend to dominate the event

In the past Winter Range has become a "speed event" 

Hell On Wheels has an interesting approach, 7 shots 100 200 300 yards.  Engage 100 until you hit then move on the 200 then 300 max hits wins,  target size can make it challenging.  7 shots tends to more things along.

If range has less then 100 yards or so, then shoot on paper measure for tightest spread

Clubs should post distance and target size, it is only fair for visitors.

Rules-guidelines should also be posted in advance.

HOW events were great.  When I shoot long range, I do not ever want to be on the clock.  It should be an accuracy and precision game.  Unless the clock is to keep you from spending all day shooting your string, but should not be a part of the scoring.  HOW had the ability to go out to 800 yards.  Pretty cool just to say I was able to try it at that range.

The most fun we ever had shooting Buffalo rifles was at Hooten Old Town when they were hosting the Kentucky State Championship matches.

It was a 24” x something or other sized buffalo at just under 300 yards.

It was 5 shots timed, so it kind of turned into a speed match.

You could shoot as many times as you liked you just had to go the back of the line and wait your turn again.  All shooting stopped when the lunch bell was rang at 12:00 noon.

If you were losing by a hit or by a fraction of a second there was always a rush to get the last shots in before the bell rang to see if you could win or at least do better than some of your friends for bragging rights.

lots of fun !

This one year I was sitting on the shooters pew waiting my turn and happened to strike up a conversation with a young shooter and he asked me my strategy, well the only strategy I had at the time was to not miss. So I make up something on the fly which sounded pretty good.  It was mainly to always be the last shooter that way no one could shoot after you and beat you. As it turned out later that morning that young man was in winning with 5 hits in such and such time. I was the last shooter for the match and had 5 hits and beat his time by something like .15 or .17 of a second to win the match.  He comes over to congratulate me and says “wow, you did just like you said !” And I said “well, yeah”

like that was my plan all along...

Rest of the story is that the next year he showed up with a new High Wall rifle he had been practicing all year with and beat the socks of of everybody there. 

EJ

Archived