SASS Wire Forum

The Big Sharps: KING OF THE BUFFALO KILLERS by: ELMER KEITH

Pee Wee #15785

I love shooting my C. Sharps .50-140 650. Elmer Keith visited our ranch now 7 generations of my mother's family, Trudes. I m no longer involved but still use our custom Parker 8  gauge 4" double. Unlike my family, I have mostly used revolvers for hunting everything from muskrats to moose and semi automatics for NRA competition and as my T/O in the Marine Corps. However, I find great joy in shooting my .50 Sharps at my home range in Farthest North Idaho on the Canadian border.

Because I love the smoke, flames and booms of black powder shooting, I use it for SASS, BPCR and just plain fun.

Elmer Keith got me into .44s. After the Corps, I switched to .44 Magnums  and I still hunt with one of the original S&Ws.

The .50-140 or ..50-170 has been disparaged by some of the younger shooting writers but some of us love them. I don't win matches with mine but, as an El Rey, I do what I can with my blurry eyesight and elderly shakes.

I hope to be shooting until I no longer exist.

Thank you for the article.

Never had access (or desire) to shoot anything over .50-70.  If I did, I probably get me a skateboard to stand on, and a coil spring from a railroad freight car truck, and back up to a tree or somesuch.  That way when I fired, the recoil would send me on the skateboard back until it compressed the spring, which would then send me back into battery!  :rolleyes:

Great post. Thanks.

Love the prices, in the ads. 

Also I noticed that no zip codes were in existence. 

Brings back a lot of memories, and there was a lot to read and consider, unlike today's magazines, which just lightly skim over the subjects. 

Some, not all, but some things were better, back then. 

Archived