SASS Wire Forum

Daughter wants a butterfly knife

Trigger Mike

Check out Cold Steel products. Really good quality and they do have butterfly style knives.

Is this for the novelty or for an EDC/self defense knife?  Unless she is already well practiced with the butterfly knife action I'd buy her the trainer knife as well. 

You might want to look at a quality automatic knife like Microtech.

14 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Is this for the novelty or for an EDC/self defense knife?  Unless she is already well practiced with the butterfly knife action I'd buy her the trainer knife as well. 

You might want to look at a quality automatic knife like Microtech.

What he said ^^^^

The only use I see for a butterfly knife is showboating when you should be doing something more practical with a knife for defense. 
In my opinion butterfly knives are only practical for dramatic movie action. They are also good for practicing first aid for the number of times one will needlessly slice themselves open trying to look cool while handling it like  Bruce Lee. 

If automatic knives are legal in your area consider one of those. 

Here is a link to Blade HQ automatic knives. 
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Opening-Automatics--40

I have to agree with all the above. Butterfly knives look cool in the movies, but can take YEARS of practice to master. Even a fixed blade is something I would not recommend for self defense. Pepper spray would be a far more viable option.

Now if she just wants it to be a toy, you're on your own.

If she is thinking self defense, distance is her friend, pepper spray is good. Ask her if she is willing to get up close and personal with a knife and stick it into another human. If she can't, she just gave the bad guy a weapon. Remind her It's not like the movies. Self defense with a knife with no training is bad.

Yep, definitely better solutions for self-defense. Whether pepper spray, a tactical flashlight with toothed bezel (some have a stun gun feature), kubotan, or if she really wants a bladed weapon, a karambit. All but the pepper spray will take a bit of practice, and even with it, some practice is a good thing. 

Butterfly's are a lot fun, but not my first choice for self defense.

Butterfly's fall in the same category as switchblades ........ check your local laws regarding them.

A good folding knife with a thumb stud is as fast as anything and perfectly legal everywhere.

I wouldn’t want my freedom to be at stake for using a karambit or a butterfly knife as a defensive weapon. Too many people cut their teeth on sensationalist nonsense derived from too many Kung fu movies of the 70’s, knee jerk politicians and people with no practical experience in anything but University and trying to claw their way to the top in a legal profession. 

I agree with those recommending pepper spray and stun guns. Perhaps a knife for a last resort, but anything you buy your daughter should also come with training in the use of these items. 
Giving an 18 year old girl a stun gun without giving her training by a professional could result in that weapon being used against her. 

No experience with butterfly knives.  Wouldn't want to stake my life on having to operate one...

Pepper spray is probably best. Then a stun gun.

If she is set on carrying a knife, might I recommend a "neck-knife"?

A small fixed-blade knife worn in a sheath around her neck like a necklace.

Without proper training a knife is useless and in fact dangerous. Pepper spray is very environmentally dependent. The best choice is a good self defense course. Unlike the other alternatives it’s always with you 

34 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

No experience with butterfly knives.  Wouldn't want to stake my life on having to operate one...

Pepper spray is probably best. Then a stun gun.

If she is set on carrying a knife, might I recommend a "neck-knife"?

A small fixed-blade knife worn in a sheath around her neck like a necklace.

I don’t like anything around my or anyone else’s neck.  Choke/hanging hazard.  Like long hair it’s something for the bad guy to grab, as well as an accident waiting to happen.

I think there are better ways to carry a knife, if one chooses to carry a knife.

If, or when, someone is put in a situation that calls for some serious self defense, you have to consider how easily, and quickly it would be to put to use whatever you have. Opening a butterfly knife is an acquired skill, that requires practice. But in a self-defense (or panic) mode, the simpler the better.

In a mode of self-defense, a butterfly knife may not be easily opened.

Besides, you want the people you are confronting to be as far away from you as possible. Knife fighting is a skill that is more involved than just opening a knife, and putting the pointy end in someone. If a guy is close enough to stab, he is close enough to take it away from a smaller/weaker person, and use it on them. Men, usually, have greater upper body strength, than most women. The "gender choice" society would object to that statement, as being "racist", but no matter what one thinks, or believes, the physical differences are a fact of life...like it or not. 

For me, or mine, if I was worried about a loved one, and the location and situation they were in, I would only consider a semi-automatic pistol. 

You have to think of distances, and know that a person can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds. A knife only goes out from someone as far as their arms will reach. That is simply too close! 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wouldn’t want my freedom to be at stake for using a karambit or a butterfly knife as a defensive weapon. Too many people cut their teeth on sensationalist nonsense derived from too many Kung fu movies of the 70’s, knee jerk politicians and people with no practical experience in anything but University and trying to claw their way to the top in a legal profession. 

I agree with those recommending pepper spray and stun guns. Perhaps a knife for a last resort, but anything you buy your daughter should also come with training in the use of these items. 
Giving an 18 year old girl a stun gun without giving her training by a professional could result in that weapon being used against her. 

I was a little surprised by the karambit being illegal, then I recall you live in California. I won't pretend to know the laws there when it comes to knives and deadly weapons. I would also advise anyone seeking an item to be used for self defense to check not only their state laws, but municipal ordnances as well. In Ohio, the only knives that are explicitly mentioned in our state law are "ballistic knives," however, our definition of "deadly weapon" is incredibly broad, being "any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon." That could describe just about anything from a knife to a can of soup.

Thanks for expanding on my thoughts regarding what I called "practice." I was a bit tired after a long day when I posted, and I should have said training, not practice. And as Henry T Harrison said, a good self defense course is a good thing. I will add though that even those should be followed up on with practice. The skills are perishable.

5 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If, or when, someone is put in a situation that calls for some serious self defense, you have to consider how easily, and quickly it would be to put to use whatever you have. Opening a butterfly knife is an acquired skill, that requires practice. But in a self-defense (or panic) mode, the simpler the better.

Besides, you want the people you are confronting to be as far away from you as possible. Knife fighting is a skill that is more involved than just opening a knife, and putting the pointy end in someone. If a guy is close enough to stab, he is close enough to take it away from a smaller/weaker person, and use it on them. Men, usually, have greater upper body strength, than most women. The "gender choice" society would object to that statement, as being "racist", but no matter what one thinks, or believes, the physical differences are a fact of life...like it or not. 

For me, or mine, if I was worried about a loved one, and the location and situation they were in, I would only consider a semi-automatic pistol. 

You have to think of distances, and know that a person can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds. A knife only goes out from someone as far as their arms will reach. That is simply too close! 

As the daughter is underage, a pistol is not an option.

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

As the daughter is underage, a pistol is not an option.

She cannot BUY a handgun because she isn't 21, that's Federal law, but that does not automatically disqualify her for a carry permit.  That will depend on state law and the issuing authority.   Georgia requires a person to be 21, but not all states have that requirement.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Permitless_Carry_States.pdf

9 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I agree with everything except the semi auto pistol.  Keep it simple and het her a five or six shot .39 Special DA revolver.

No magazines, no safeties, is it cocked or other confusing BS.  Load it, put it wherever she's going to carry it (I also don't like purses.  People could snatch her purse and leave her unarmed.  Carry it on her body.) and when the occasion comes along take it out, point it, and pull the trigger.  Keep pulling the trigger as long as the thread is there....reload if necessary.

And above all else, get some good training (boy friends and daddies are generally useless for this)and practice, practice, practice.

Okay, is there anyone there that I have not offended?  If so I did it wrong.

I occasionally belt carry a small knife with a cutting surface of about 2  1/2 inches and a handle that is disproportionally long.  In a pinch it will work for self defense and offers the advantages of being very concealable, very quick to bring to action and not so large as to be easily taken away.  It is also legal in most places.  As it is a slice not stab type tool, tactics, should you employ a similar device, may need to be adjusted.

But I also carry a 1911, or a S&W Model 36, so it is usually not intended as a self defense tool.  That being said, it will cut.

Oh, I ain't offended.  I carry a Colt Cobra, .38 special, that I purchased in 1974. I have a nice Sig model 365, that is easy to carry, but I am just old school, I guess, and prefer the double-action revolver. 

My pickup truck toy is a Steyr semi-auto, in .357 sig, but I keep that in the truck, and usually do not carry it. 

I would check out a Colonel LoVis or Ka Bar TDI. The butterfly knife is fraught with peril, weak by design, and difficult to use. People that don't train with a knife are probably better served with a punch knife/small fixed blade. 

with a butterfly knife , get one of the chain mail fish cleaning gloves , and a good first aid kit 

I gave my girls a t handle push knife , double edge and wicked sharp , now that they are over 21 , before that is used , some one has to get through the hail of bullets 

a very good training corse on self defence is suggested , 

CB 

The local gun store said she could get a permit for a pistol but I called.the judge and the sherif and both said no.  I had a beat up dull butterfly I found when an officer and showed her how many times a good knife would have cut me, even though I have had it for years.  

She also did trying to use it.  I'm working hard to get her in another direction.   

Just curious. Why is she set on a butterfly knife?

Life isn’t a video game or a Kung Fu movie…

clip from video game

I'm not sure.  She reads a lot of fantasy and dystopia books and likes knives but not guns, except for a purple glock 380 , but even then not much.  Fancies herself more capable then she is.  She did take karate though.

Howdy,

There are lots of different styles of self defense.

My favorite is to avoid dangerous or tricky situations to start with.

Dont wear lots of expensive jewelry or other stuff.

Be aware of what is going on.  

Dont walk around looking at a phone.

Maybe carry a small plain wallet with one credit card and a few dollars for lunch.

Keep id extra money cards etc in a second wallet that doesnt get waved around.

Bad guys like easy targets and profitable targets too.

Best

CR

Be sure to get a "trainer" either along with or, before getting the actual bladed one.  Bruised knuckles beat sliced knuckles every time.

My mother-in-law carried one every day.  Her hair was long, past her bottom.  She rolled it into some kinda bun at her neck.  Inside the bun was her 6" knife.  When she pulled and deployed it for normal chores, it made quite an impression.  Ya didn't mess with Poli.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:31 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why would anyone want to stab a butterfly?

There's killer butterflies now!!

On 7/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why would anyone want to stab a butterfly?

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's killer butterflies now!!

Well, they have started devastating hurricanes…according to tree hugging morons with sensational imaginations. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

Archived