SASS Wire Forum

Re-loading shotgun shells

Hoss

Loaded up a bunch this morning. I usually load shotgun every 3-4 months. I’ve loaded about 9000 shells over the last 7 years if so. Cost is about 4.50 per box. So about 1/2 price. Not a huge savings, but, I always have low recoil shotgun shells! And for 9000 shells, I’ve saved $1600 or so.  Maybe I ought to buy another gun with the mo DH I saved!!!

Loading cowboy shotshells allows me to make the load I want to shoot, any time.  And now I'm shooting Sporting Clays, it has kept me going to those matches rather than wishing I could find ANY suitable ammo.  With my savings, I buy more components.

(I'm loading over 15K a year)

good luck, GJ

29 minutes ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

You are not looking at this correctly.  Instead of buying a new gun, buy two new SG.  That way you can save money three times faster...

Hmmmm.  You have a point there! Maybe I ought to try one of those Sharptails! 

2 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

If I could find my palerider blackpowder shotgun shells for 4.50 or even 5.50 a box I sure would grab them

I load brass BP shells, as well as some plastic ones. Get a Lee Load All. You can load BP for about the same price. Biggest cost is the shot. 

I load for sporting clays and shoot a minimum of 100 per week. Huge savings. Down to my last 3K of primers. Will need more of those soon. Good on everything else

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I load brass BP shells, as well as some plastic ones. Get a Lee Load All. You can load BP for about the same price. Biggest cost is the shot. 

My point was that I always load blackpowder shotshells cause no manufacturers do. At least not to my specs. I use a lee load all.

I use 14 grn red dot with 3/4 oz 7.5 shot. Works well. Knocks down, enough recoil to reset inertial trigger, but very modest recoil. I’ve never chronoed them, but would guess 900-950 FPS. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Hmmmm.  You have a point there! Maybe I ought to try one of those Sharptails! 

I love my Sharptail. It's NOT anywhere CAS ready out of the box. I ended up buying a Lassiter Charles Daly for cowboy shooting and a 28" Sharptail for everything else. It's a beautiful all-purpose shotgun that's a pleasure to shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays with.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I use 14 grn red dot with 3/4 oz 7.5 shot. Works well. Knocks down, enough recoil to reset inertial trigger, but very modest recoil. I’ve never chronoed them, but would guess 900-950 FPS. 

thats what i load , you cant beat it for this game in smokeless , i dont load as many anymore - i dont shoot as many , at my peak i was loading 7k per year , but i now have a stock and dont need to load more for a while , least till components are more plentiful and come down in price ....or i get bored , maybe this winter , still have components for now , been collecting select once fired cases at the range this summer to feed the machine if i decide to , 

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I too use that load & over the Chrono averaged around 960- 1020 fps..that's with the old Hercules Red Dot not the newer Alliant

4 hours ago, Lever Jim said:

What's the mildest commercial load available?

Not sure what’s available since you’re down under.  Someone like @Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 would know a lot better of what options are available for you. 

9 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Remember pards. I sell shot. New, #7.5, tumbled, screened, and graphited for $130 for 65# delivered to your door.

Fox

Hi Shootin Fox, PM sent bout where to send gold for lead.  

9 hours ago, Lever Jim said:

Winchester low noise, low recoil ASs.  They are showing up on shelves now.  Super Target shells have much more recoil than CAS shooters like or need.  You would find them useful for a Cowboy Clays side match.

13 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Remember pards. I sell shot. New, #7.5, tumbled, screened, and graphited for $130 for 65# delivered to your door.

Fox

Interested in buying some shot from you. How do you take payment? Paypal or Check?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Lever Jim said:

Let's assume that the OP is talking about 12 gauge shells, although as far as I can find, he's not published that restriction.

Generally, although the Winchester Featherlites are light and commonly used in cowboy shooting, the Federal Metro shells also used to fight recoil.  Not often seen, especially with the shortages of the last year and half.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/273675-federal-top-gun-900-fps-metro-loads/

There are some B&P shells that are very light (Italian).

There are several Aguila shells (Mexico) that are very light, and short length too.

Whether any of those are available to you, Lever Jim, I don't think many in the US would know.

Many, many loaders are handloading 3/4 ounce (of shot) 12 gauge shells.  Some even 1/2 ounce loads.   If you really want light loads, you will have to make them yourself!!  No commercial loader finds much of a market for real light recoil shotshells.  The Winchester Super Target 1 ounce loads at 1250 FPS are no where near as light as the Featherlite shells (26 grams of shot at 980 FPS) from Winchester, or the Federal Metros!!!

Women often have problems with shotgun because their guns are not properly fitted to their body shape.  Or they don't have good recoil pads installed.  Many women need a 13" pull length, or shorter.  And a properly angled butt cut.   Often times properly fitting the gun will let them use full factory target loads easily.

good luck, GJ

I’ve fired up my Marlin 20 ga Model 30 that I bought for the daughter in law to consume 20 ga components and preserve my 12 ga stuff. Uses a little less shot and powder. A great sg. My DIL is  a full time working mommy now and I really don’t see her getting back into cas in my lifetime. Maybe after her daughter is all grown up. 

On 7/6/2021 at 12:05 AM, Lever Jim said:

The AA Low Noise Low Recoil are light. Their spec is 26gram (7/8oz) and 980fps. A powder like Alliant e3 can handle those light loads well ( I have extra, near Philly). 12 grains of e3 will do. I bump up a little and go with 13gr e3 and 1oz. I can't speak for whether it will reset an inertia gun.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:27 PM, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Fox

All PMs and inquiries answered! Thanks to all.

Got a check on the way to you, hopefully it hits your mailbox this weekend. 

I'm not a fan of shotgun reloading, and so far I've been able to stay stocked up with Remington STS and Winchester LNLR for the older three of us.  I do load really light stuff for my youngest, currently about 12.6 of Clays under 7/8th of #8.  That's pretty light. I don't know if it would reset an inertial (I suspect it would) since his has a mechanical. 

I've got all the materials to load up some black powder, but haven't worked up the initiative to get started.  I'm thinking get it set up and run a case worth of APP.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, Hoss said:

I reload once-fired and trimmed (Ballistic Products shell trimmer) Winchester AAs with APP using a Lee Load All.  I roll-crimp them using a the Ballistic Products roll-crimp tool on a drill press.  Fast and cheap.

Archived