SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Safety 38W (38-40) any interest

Grand Stan

I am a member here - but at our gun store in Memphis,TN our helper purchased a Marlin Safety in 38W.  Don't know a lot of details as such - serial, etc - but it is in pretty good shape.  Does anyone still use these?  Any interest in them?  Any idea on pricing?  It will probably go here in the classifieds unless I find anyone at the Memphis Gunslingers whom wants it.  Thanks.....Grand Stan

Sure help to have good pictures and exact model, condition of bore, etc.

The older 1894s have a flat hammer spring and a number of other parts not like the reintroduce model we have today.  Many of these different parts are very hard to find and expensive if found.

The 38WCF is a great cartridge and especially good with black powder.   But not for everyone. 

606737466_Marlin94projectass1June2019.jpg.f1753fb0ba51c33d7a69946f6a9d3ac3.jpg

Mine in 38WCF with 26" barrel.

6 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

If you don't mind what store in Memphis? I'll be passing through in about a week and would love to check it out. I'd be real interested in that rifle if the price is right. 

If the I-40 bridge is still out, you might want to reconsider Memphis. If you do have to go, expect a 2-3 hour delay for the bridge.

The 38 W is a Great Cartridge . I have two Marlin 1889s . 

One was Manufactured in 1889, the other in 1894 . One is a Round Barrel. The other is a octogon Barrel.

The Round Barreled one likes 401 diamator  Bullets. The other one Likes 403 diamator Bullets.

Both of them are great Firearms.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

If the I-40 bridge is still out, you might want to reconsider Memphis. If you do have to go, expect a 2-3 hour delay for the bridge.

Yeah I've been dealing with that for the last couple months on my commute. 

38 WCF (38-40) is a wonderful cartridge. I have 3 pair of revolvers, an 1873 short rifle, an 1873 carbine, an 1866 carbine, and an original Colt lightning rifle, all in 38 WCF.

Archived