SASS Wire Forum

Selling on the SASS Classified

Snakebite

I would like to hear folks opinion about selling on the SASS Classified. Do you sell things there or do you sell on one of the gun auction sites? What is the determining factor as to where you offer the items for sale?

Snakebite

I sell CAS related guns and other items in the Wire Classifieds. Always have had a positive experience buying and selling. Posting pictures is very easy and any questions can easily be handled on the Private Messaging feature. Never post your email address, address, phone number or other private information in the ad. 

I'm fortunate not to be selling guns very often, mainly just buying.  When I'm selling things other than guns I list them where I think they have the best chance to sell.  Used rig that I don't need anymore, either bring it to a match, or list it here.  Non cowboy stuff get's listed on GB.  I'm thankful not to be doing that very much anymore.

I still browse the classifieds to see if there's anything interesting, but lately there's generally nothing available that I'm interested in.

Have used the SASS Classifieds to buy quite a bit, and sell a little.  Have gotten and have given some good deals when working with other cowboys.  Been stung twice on Classifieds, though.  One member-seller who was getting out of SASS thought he didn't have to ship a gun after receiving the Money Order.  Took a local LEO talking to him to convince him otherwise.  Another member badly misrepresented a gun, when he was selling off his collection.   Had to do lots of work to get it shooting when it was represented as Very Good condition. 

Have used GB, found I don't have time for auctions (nor willingness to pay bid war prices nor reserving a couple of hours to do the "final shootout") and now only buy fixed price items, usually from large dealers.  And ran into a couple of pawn shop sellers who either didn't know how to check a barrel or just sold it anyway with bulges and pitting while claiming it was bright and shiny.  Those had to be sent back at my expense.  Never sold there.

Have used Cast Boolits "Sale and Trade" for buying a few guns and lots of molds.  Generally very satisfied there, too.  Those items were NOT auctions.

Have I said I HATE AUCTIONS ON-LINE?  Too many snipers, too many "Oops, someone local wanted to buy it after they saw I was putting it into auction",  too many idiot bidders and angry sellers.

The worst problems, though, seem to be smaller sellers who REFUSE to use correct packing materials and ship several hundred dollar guns in (CR^P) packages, which USPS and UPS seem DELIGHTED to destroy, and then having to go through insurance claim agony to make things right.   And sometimes after offering to pay for insurance, finding they didn't think they needed to buy insurance.   Or good packing boxes.

good luck, GJ 

GJ... I seem to agree with a great deal of what you have said. I've never sold on any of the Gun auction sites but it sure does seem like items over there sell for a great deal more than they do on SASS Classified. 

Has anyone had experience with Gun Broker?  I use the SASS wire but as Snakebite said the sold prices on Gun Broker seem a lot higher.  How much does Gun Broker charge to sell on their site?

38 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Has anyone had experience with Gun Broker?  I use the SASS wire but as Snakebite said the sold prices on Gun Broker seem a lot higher.  How much does Gun Broker charge to sell on their site?

Feel free to PM me. I sell primarily via GB.

Phantom

57 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have purchased from GB without problems,

Here is how you calculate your Final Value Fee:

1. Take the first $250 of your final value and multiply it by 6%. If your item sold for $250 or less this is your Final Value Fee.
  2. If your final value was more than $250, take the additional amount over $250 and multiply it by 3.5%.
  3. Add up these amounts and that is your Final Value Fee.

For example, a $1500 item would cost:

1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
  2. $1250 times 3.5% = $43.75
  3. Total = $58.75

A $500 item would cost:

2. $250 times 3.5% = $8.75
  3. Total = $23.75

I be bought and sold guns & gear on the SASS wire. Never had a bad experience. I’d think on cowboy guns would be the way to go. I’ve bought 1 gun on Gunbroker. Very good experience. The seller did have an A+ Rating with over 5000 transactions.  I’ve never sold anything on Gunbroker. 

I've bought and sold on the wire.  Nothing but good experiences here.  Gunbroker on the other hand has been dismal.  A really bad experience with a buyer who wanted me to violate Federal law.  When I refused, it took a couple of months for GB to straighten out the very nasty feedback.

28 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I have purchased from GB without problems,

Here is how you calculate your Final Value Fee:

1. Take the first $250 of your final value and multiply it by 6%. If your item sold for $250 or less this is your Final Value Fee.
  2. If your final value was more than $250, take the additional amount over $250 and multiply it by 3.5%.
  3. Add up these amounts and that is your Final Value Fee.

For example, a $1500 item would cost:

2. $1250 times 3.5% = $43.75
  3. Total = $58.75

A $500 item would cost:

2. $250 times 3.5% = $8.75
  3. Total = $23.75

ALSO don't forget Gun Broker now charges sales tax based on the buyers zip code.  This can add substantially to buyers end cost

I have sold a bunch of stuff over the years, from firearms to small misc odds and ends.  I have never had a problem of any kind on the SASS site.  I will not use Gun Broker simply because it too way to long to get my hands on defective merchandise that I had to send back.  SASS people have always been the best. 

If a gun has been heavily modified/smithed by a recognizable name in this sport I usually will try to list it here first.  I have done okay here on the wire watching WTB ads and responding directly to them.

Not sure if it is a combo of my asking price or the fact that a lot of guys can remember what things used to cost, but I have sold very little on this forum.  Everything I have moved over to gunbroker sold very quickly for the same asking price.  Gunbroker has a final value fee calculator to help calculate the fees and the sales tax is calculated at the end on top of the auction price.  I have had nothing but positive experiences both buying and selling on Gunbroker.

To be honest I have had more negative deals on the SASS wire than other online places.  The "worked fine at the last monthly" varies a lot between shooters.  Also on the wire you will need to put up with low balls and people backing out, all of which is avoided (mostly) on Gunbroker.

If it came from the wire I plan on bringing it back home if I find myself in the position to sell. That or local club. Probably not for a while. Been treated well and fairly and look to pay it forward. 

Shakes Peare 

I have bought a few things on the wire and was completely satisfied, did some trading which turned into a p'ing contest. I have bought several guns from Buds Guns and have been very satisfied.

Imis

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Tried but all I get is a message saying "Phantom cannot receive messages."

I have bought and sold many items on the classified section here with no problem whatsoever. Always a very smooth transaction. I prefer using the wire classifieds to sell whatever I might have. From firearms on down. I'll use an FFL to ship unless it's legal to do a FTF.

That said I have also used Gunbroker to purchase quite a few items and have always been pleasantly pleased with the results there as well. I have not sold anything on Gunbroker but I am not an FFL which probably simplifies things for a sale.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Tried but all I get is a message saying "Phantom cannot receive messages."

Sorry...gotta clear out all those nasty messages from my "Fans" :lol:

Okie summarized the fee structure.

Yes, they now charge the sellers for the Sales Tax for the State that the buyer resides (with some exceptions), so that means that you have to recoup that money. This is because of the new requirements put upon Marketplace Facilitators.

How you sell...how you present your product will have an affect on the final prices...in other words, there is a strategy.

Phantom

Try GunslingerAuctions.com

We take care of everything.  I'd bet you will be VERY happy with the outcome. 

hud

1 minute ago, hud said:

Try GunslingerAuctions.com

We take care of everything.  I'd bet you will be VERY happy with the outcome. 

hud

Or Storiedfirearms.com

:P

We should combine forces :lol:

I have bought quite a few guns here, and I was taught by sellers here that you need to ask questions, like, "Does it operate the way it should?"

Not everything does, and if you don't ask, it might not be mentioned by the seller. Wiki calls this "information asymmetry".

Most every seller I've dealt with here has been a straight shooter, but a few were less than straight forward with the facts.

Like the Romans said, Caveat Emptor.

YMMV.

I have bought a lot of stuff off the wire, from guns to leather, knives, etc. All items have been as described or better.

The problems have been firearms that were poorly packaged. Mostly rifles. The most disturbing experience was when an old model Vaquero showed up at my FFL in a bubble wrap envelope. The seller claimed that it was his dealer's fault. After initial messages, there was no response to my messages over the course of 2 to 3 months. The guy was/is very dishonest. I make it a point to make sure a handgun is coming in a proper box. 

Colesville Bob 

I've bought and sold on the wire. It's always a positive experience for me. I've only bought 1 gun on GB and I was very unhappy with the transaction. If I ever purchased anything else there it will be new only. YMMV

T.F. Jack

23 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

I have tried several more times and still get the "Phantom can't receive messages" response.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have tried several more times and still get the "Phantom can't receive messages" response.

I cleared out some of my PM's...sorry.

Phantom

I’ve bought off the classifieds with a very positive experience!

however, I buy and sell on gunbroker more often. There is a lot more exposure.

I've never had a bad selling experience on GB, nor have I had a bad buying experience there.  In fact, I just purchased an SKB 100 on Gunbroker for $550.  The seller forgot to include the magic word, "SKB" in his listing, so it didn't draw a lot of attention. 

I've had one bad purchasing experience here in the classified.  An 1873 Uberti rifle that was in much worse condition than listed.  Pretty big name selling it too.  I was unpleasantly surprised. 

I have been buyer and seller on SASS Classified of items other than firearms.  Transactions have gone smooth with a sense of trust as a fellow CAS would desire. 

I've had a couple of negative experiences buying off of the SASS Classified. I bought a Baldwin Tang Sight for $250. Turns out that several other folks bought the same sight. I agreed to buy a pair of 44-40 Handguns from one of the Biggest sellers on the wire at the time for the price he listed them at.  I got his mailing address in Reno, went down and got a cashiers check and before I could even get it in the mail he sold them to someone else on the wire that offered him more money after our deal was made!  I didn't loose anything but IMO the guy is a Jerk for doing that.  On the other hand, I've had some very good deal from very honest folks.  When it comes to selling, I must revert to my earlier comment about selling price. Everyone wants a good deal or a bargain, and I'm no different, but in general it seems to me that folks are less willing to pay the same price for an item here that they would pay for it on Gun Broker.

Snakebite 

Over the years I have bought a few guns and gear and sold some (gear that is, I dont sell guns) on GB, never had any problems. I always like to offer my treasures to the folks here first. Never had an issue. I have found that SAS Folks are polite, helpful and completely trustworthy.

God bless America!

Archived