SASS Wire Forum

BSS Barrel Work

rmurphy92

Need a Little help bought a BSS of Gun Broker a few years back, (was suppose to be cowboy ready) and when I got it I discovered that someone had ground a little to much on the edges of the chamber allowing the shell to seat to far in and not firing. Was wondering if anyone might have a lead on a gunsmith that might be able to make repairs to the gun. Was told to sell it but don't want to dump my problem's on someone else. Thank for any help

Two recommendations of expert shops who can repair shotguns:

Mitch Schultz

Gunsmithing LTD          SKB recommended them to me - the repaired my broken forend lug.

Southport, CT 06890

(203) 254-0436

Briley Manufacturing

(713) 932-6995                They also do major work on shotgun barrels.  A local cowboy has used them and speaks highly of their work.

9 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

If you replaced the ejectors/extractors would it give enough surface area to hold the shell in place?

This is the only solution that I know of, except changing the barrels.

These friends that help you by beveling your shotgun barrels, do not always help.

I have thrown several sets of barrels away, just for this same situation.

Good luck,

J.M.

Another shop that specializes in Browning barrel repair is:

Art's Gun Shop

6008 State Rd Y
Hillsboro, MO 63050

Phone: 636-944-3630

https://artsgunshop.com/

They may be able to sleeve the chambers with high strength steel sleeves and recut the chambers for you.   I have had Model 12s repaired this way that had a bulged chamber from firing high pressure loads.  Or, even fit a (used) monoblock to your barrels.

But just TIG welding up the extractor surfaces and then recutting that new surface will probably be the cheapest repair you can do.

A reminder that the safest way to bevel a double barrel breech is to remove extractors from the gun before grinding away on the barrel chambers.  And to never take out all the original rim seat on the barrel itself - leave about 1/2" of the "groove" where the rest of the chamber metal is being ground away.

good luck, GJ

I had one with that same problem. I started loading Cheddite primers. They are a little larger and don't seat as deep as US shotgun primers. It completely solved the problem. One other thing you can do is to add a little material under the extractor using Silver solder. This will raise it. After it is done you will need to file down the top so that it refits and allows the barrel to close and lock up. If you can find new extractors, that would be better. If you have someone that can build you a longer firing pin, that might also work. Try the Cheddite primers first. 

Snakebite

PS, I don't know why people don't leave the damned things alone in the first place. This idea that it makes you faster is just nonsense.

Thanks will give it a try

21 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I don't know why people don't leave the damned things alone in the first place. This idea that it makes you faster is just nonsense.

BSS chambers were precision bored and polished to spec at the factory.  Honing them should be completely unnecessary.  All that is needed is to keep them clean of cellulose and other powder debris from firing.  

I've seen a several that had the extractors honed and rounded off almost to the point of unusability.  One was enlarged to where shell heads could become entrapped INSIDE the extractor, requiring tools to be removed.  In that case firing pin ignition was sporadic, requiring frequent re-cocking.   Think of a chamber hone just like you think of a Dremel !  They can quickly do a real lot of kitchen table gunsmithing damage.  

Archived