SASS Wire Forum

45lc/ 45cs red dot load help

Fill Yer Hand

Just ran out of my usual powder and will switching to red dot. Looking for load data on red dot for 45lc and 45cs with an 180gr bullet. If you could pm me a good starting point to work from that would be appreciated thank you and happy 4th.

Red dot is now my go to powder. I'm using 3gr behind 160gr bullet in C45S and 5gr behind 200gr bullet in 45 Colt. Also using it for shotgun.

For 45lc I have been using 4.6 RD for 180/200 ... goes 800fps out of my carbine (20 inch barrel) ... never measured a revolver.

For C45S I have been loading 3gr w/ 180 bullet for 4 3/4 inch revolvers (I loaded 160s in the revolvers for a while but ... for me ... it was just too much of a PITA ... I didn't care to use them in the rifle/carbine anyhow ... w/ 180/200 I can use whatever I have on hand for either ... usually 180s).

Hmmm... I wonder if there's something different about y'alls brass?   (Sixgun Seamus excepted, his appears stamped like mine).  I have mostly Starline & Winch brass marked "45 Colt" and it takes 5,9-6.0 grains of RedDot for me to get an average ~840fps with a 200 grain lubed bullet from 6 different 45 Colt rifles, barrels of 17" - 24-¼".   Maybe there's something different about this 45l  stuff!  I've never found any brass marked thusly, tho".

And all the short brass I bought from Adirondak Jack, Miss Cubbie & Starline is marked "Cowboy 45 Special", which I admit is a mouthful, so I tend to abbreviate it to C45S.  

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Hmmm... I wonder if there's something different about y'alls brass?   (Sixgun Seamus excepted, his appears stamped like mine).  I have mostly Starline & Winch brass marked "45 Colt" and it takes 5,9-6.0 grains of RedDot for me to get an average ~840fps with a 200 grain lubed bullet from 6 different 45 Colt rifles, barrels of 17" - 24-¼".   Maybe there's something different about this 45l  stuff!  I've never found any brass marked thusly, tho".

And all the short brass I bought from Adirondak Jack, Miss Cubbie & Starline is marked "Cowboy 45 Special", which I admit is a mouthful, so I tend to abbreviate it to C45S.  

I always refer to my regular 45 Colts as 45 long colts ... never claimed they were marked that way. That horse died in my barn a long long time ago Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif.1f0f6c8d1ee7ca662c4fda40472cc77f.gif

6gr?? If you go one more grain (7gr) you should be getting pretty close to max load w/ a 200gr lead bullet (I think Alliant lists 7.2/7.3 or such). 

Coated bullets do go faster than plain lead but ...

The 4.6 I quoted was actually 808 and a (red) coated bullet (from the Butcher in Prescott, Arizona) (not exactly 800 as stated) and I did find an old crono record on my sheet for 4.9 (with a 205gr Bear Creek bullet) that went 890fps out of the 20 inch Rossi ... AND ... 710fps out of a 4 3/4 inch Uberti Cattleman revolver. I didn't mention the 4.9 load because I don't shoot it anymore.

Thanks Pete... don't tell anyone, but I just love raggin' on folks over the "LONG" thing.  50 something years ago I shod horses @ a cattle ranch and the foreman whipped up on me one day with his riata when I told him about knockin' off a coyote with my 45 "long" Colt out behind the barn earlier in the day...   

You ever been beat with a 45' leather riata all coiled up?  When you're afoot, it's hard to get away from a feller on horseback, intent on teachin' a youngster a lesson!

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Thanks Pete... don't tell anyone, but I just love raggin' on folks over the "LONG" thing.  50 something years ago I shod horses @ a cattle ranch and the foreman whipped up on me one day with his riata when I told him about knockin' off a coyote with my 45 "long" Colt out behind the barn earlier in the day...   

You ever been beat with a 45' leather riata all coiled up?  When you're afoot, it's hard to get away from a feller on horseback, intent on teachin' a youngster a lesson!

I know ... but I am so sensitive!! -_-

I used to have a guy that always got on me for calling revolvers "pistols" .... AND ... I would always mention how the Josie Wales line "you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie" ... wouldn't sound right ...

I get hooked every time ... sigh ... 

Archived