SASS Wire Forum

9 mm Largo vs Luger

OK I made a mistake. I ordered what I thought was 9 mm Luger and received 9 mm Largo ammunition from Buffalo Ammunition Co.  I never heard or read about Largo. It is probably my mistake that resulted in this situation. That is not surprising in itself. I am fairly limited in my knowledge of different calibers and configurations of ammunition. . 

I went to the Buffalo Ammunition Co. website and they have a disclaimer right up front. They will NOT take back ammunition as they don’t know what I might have done to it. Understandable I guess, but that means I’m stuck with it.

I measured the case length of unfired, loaded Luger and Largo shells.

Luger = 0.75”

Largo = 0.90”

I guess if I pulled all the shells apart I could trim the cases down to Luger length. Seems a waste. With all that work I could reuse any bullets I didn’t bugger up and any cases I successfully trimmed. The powder and primers would be an unknown and be discarded. Better to find someone who could use them.

So does anyone know what Largo is? I’d like to know.

Can anyone here use it? I can’t!
I’ve got 5 boxes of 50, 9 mm from Buffalo Ammunition Co., one box has the tape seal cut to examine the ammunition. I have not done anything else to the ammunition. I did not try to load it in my pistol as it was obviously too long for the magazine. I don’t know what I paid as it was purchased quite a while ago (6-9 months).

If you are interested, PM me and make me an offer including shipping and I will talk to you.

Feeling kind of foolish.

CJ

You know OTTO CORRECT IS A PITA!
Of course you do.

Slim,

Thank you for the reply and information. I’m guessing not many people will have a weapon that can use this stuff.

Oh well. As they say “Live and Learn.” 

I think I will try contacting Buffalo Ammunition, all they can say is NO!

CJ

This is a fortuitous mistake.  There were many interesting pistols chambered for this round, and now you have an excuse to obtain one.   A partial listing can be found on the caliber's Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×23mm_Largo

And yes, there are at least 3 guns in my collection that I purchased because I just happened to have some ammo for them first.  :)

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is a fortuitous mistake.  There were many interesting pistols chambered for this round, and now you have an excuse to obtain one.   A partial listing can be found on the caliber's Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×23mm_Largo

And yes, there are at least 3 guns in my collection that I purchased because I just happened to have some ammo for them first.  :)

My thoughts exactly. Would be the perfect excuse to buy a Spanish destroyer carbine. I've always wanted one of those.

I think the 9mm Largo is something like 9x17  OR  9x18.

EDIT:  the 9mm LARGO is a 9x23 brass.  Longer than the 9x19 (LUGER).

The 9mm, as we often call the 9mm LUGER, is 9x19.

There are also 9x21, 9x23 and the 9x25.    There are probably more than I even realize.

Ya gotta me careful when ordering stuff, as you have already discovered.

If you have a standard type 9mm or 9mm LUGER, you need the 9x19 ammo.

..........Widder

It takes the right person to buy these oddball or little used cartridges, but... they right person really wants them! I had two boxes of 25-20 Win... the first box sold right away, the second box never did sell. It's not worth the time and trouble to list them on the major sites, like Gunbroker etc. You might find someone that has a table at a gun show and get them to put them on the table.

One of our own has PM’d me. We are talking.

I’m not looking to make a killing just recover some of my cost so that I can purchase some ammo I can use. Not likely to get a gun to match the ammo. I’d be more interestedly in a small frame 357/38 revolver. I’ve no modern revolvers only SA’s. 

I’ve a few rounds of 9 mm to practice with and some brass to reload if components ever become available. I’m an inveterate pack rat so I’ll hold onto the brass. I probably should go ahead and get the dies for my press. I can at least prep the empties for the future. 

Thank you to all who have responded so far. If I close a deal on this ammo I’ll post it here.

CJ

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think the 9mm Largo is something like 9x17  OR  9x18.

The 9mm, as we often call the 9mm LUGER, is 9x19.

There are also 9x21, 9x23 and the 9x25.    There are probably more than I even realize.

Ya gotta me careful when ordering stuff, as you have already discovered.

If you have a standard type 9mm or 9mm LUGER, you need the 9x19 ammo.

..........Widder

Wider, 

What does the X19 or the other numbers stand for? I’ve got a Savage Model 99 in 38 - 55. I know the 38 is the caliber and the 55 stood for grains of BP.  This one was mfg’d in 1910 and belonged to my wife’s Grandfather. It was his deer rifle. The barrel is stamped “High Pressure Steel” and it shots modern ammo well.  Those old Buck Horn sites are a bit of a challenge at longer yardage.

CJ

The number after the X is the cartridge case length expressed in millimeters. IE …9x19, 9mm bullet diameter and 19mm case length.:)

Yep, 9mm Largo is a longer cartridge than 9mm Luger and it also has other case dimension differences as well, so modifying to shoot in a 9mm Luger is not going to work.  As others have said, your best bet is to try to sell them to someone that can use them in the proper gun.  9mm Largo was very popular in South America and there are many Spanish guns chambered for this cartridge.  You should be able to find someone interested.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

List it in the SASS classifieds 

OLG 

What he said^^^^^^^^^^ You never know! 

Then there's the 9mm Makarov which I think is also different. 

22 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Then there's the 9mm Makarov which I think is also different. 

You are correct, Rye.   Its also called the 9x18.

..........Widder

Its not as simple as just case length. 

The 9mm Largo has a different base and rim diameter as well..... as do several other of the "odd" 9mm cartridges.   

My 9mm Steyr (to introduce another one! lol) IS just a longer 9mm Parabellum/Luger... (actually 9x23) which is handy as I can use a combo of 9mm Luger and 38 ACP dies to load it... and even use 38 Super Comp brass at a pinch... BUT.. that is NOT the case with many of the "9mm's" out there.  Be careful!!   

It actually reminds me of the old 38 S&W discussions.... ;)

I have reached an agreement to sell the 9 mm Largo, with a member of this forum. I am satisfied and I believe he is also. Just waiting the transfer of funds. Then the shipping will begin. 
I stopped at the local UPS Terminal Building to find out what I had to do to ship ammunition, they were very helpful. At least here you can not go to a UPS Store or other shipper who uses UPS, you have to go to their Terminal Building. The cost is the normal charge for shipping based on weight and package size, no extra fees or conditions. Nice to deal with a Company the isn’t treating gun owners like leper’s.

CJ

Howdy,

If you happen to have a ruger blackhawk 357 it might be possible to

get a Blackhawk  9mm cylinder and have it recut to largo spec?

If this works once you shoot up the largo you might shop around

for others in your situation and buy and shoot their mistakes too.

I doubt ruger would approve but a real experienced gunsmith might.

Just an idea.

Dumb enuf to work???

Best

CR

And don’t forget 9mm Steyr, used in the Austrian Steyr Hahn and very similar yo the Largo cartridge. I’m told Largos will take Steyr ammo but not vice versa. 

Seamus

On 7/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

And don’t forget 9mm Steyr, used in the Austrian Steyr Hahn and very similar yo the Largo cartridge. I’m told Largos will take Steyr ammo but not vice versa. 

Seamus

Not THAT similar.... different (smaller) base diameter for a start.  It MAY fit in a 9mm largo... but why do that?  (What a waste of good 9mm Steyr...lol  I have to say that... I shoot my 1911 mfg Chilean contract Steyr "1912" regularly!) :D

201808962_10215717196201474_3283290621720776175_n.jpg

Hello Constable,

I also shoot my 1916 Bavarian contract Steyr Hahn whenever I get the chance.  Still have some good Hirtenberger ammo put away for it. I like to wear a hat or helmet because the empty cases tend to fall back right on the top of my head!

Seamus

4 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Hello Constable,

I also shoot my 1916 Bavarian contract Steyr Hahn whenever I get the chance.  Still have some good Hirtenberger ammo put away for it. I like to wear a hat or helmet because the empty cases tend to fall back right on the top of my head!

Seamus

Mine fly right back over my head!   EVERYTHING I read suggested using relatively hot 9mm Luger load data.... (which the extra case volume of course "absorbs" to some extent) and even though I have gotten more conservative with that...(its an old FUN gun and I don't want to break it).... they STILL go a good 6 feet up and back.... :D

I had said earlier that one of our own had made an offer on the Largo 9mm. As promised I am posting that we concluded a deal and the Ammunition has been sent on it’s way.

Thank you to tacobill of the Natchez Six Gunners. He has been a good pard to deal with.

Cactus Jack Calder

26 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I had said earlier that one of our own had made an offer on the Largo 9mm. As promised I am posting that we concluded a deal and the Ammunition has been sent on it’s way.

Thank you to tacobill of the Natchez Six Gunners. He has been a good pard to deal with.

Cactus Jack Calder

Hey CJC, please see my 9mm thread. 

Glad your situation worked out!

Archived