SASS Wire Forum

1887 lever action 12 gauge Mare's Leg (not SASS compliant) - LIKE NEW

Ripple

This is completely LIKE NEW.  Never fired and the only handling was to unbox it and put it in the safe.  The original box and paperwork is all included.

A Mare's Leg ... but in 12 gauge.   OK, it's not SASS compliant, but it is an 1887 model and is definitely COOL!

I wanted a 45 LC, but they are not allowed in MA (ugh!), so I went for the 12 gauge.

bought it from Elk County Ammo & Arms six months ago.  They list it as Out of Stock at $1,369.99.    https://ammoandarmsstore.com/930-019/.   Chiappa also shows them as out of stock.

They have sold recently on GB for between $1,410 and $1,850.

To avoid the hassle of GB, and to offer it to folks who will appreciate and use it, I will sell it for $1,160, shipped. shipped to your FFL  ( that's $1,100 plus $60 FFL fee).

image.thumb.png.3395cf734695d15f7916fff5107f523b.png

That is SO COOL!!!

Get a Harley and terrorize a small town!

Or not, your call.

Looking at our interests, you probably already have a Harley, so you are showing great personal restraint by not terrorizing a small town!

My admiration, Sir!

Brazos John

Grew up watching Steve McQueen.  Coolest man to ever live.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Could a regular full buttstock be ordered from Chiappa to make it SASS legal if desired? (Yeah, might take a while).

No. 

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

No. 

Would you expand on that?  Do you mean a full buttstock would not fit this gun?  Or that a full stock is not available?  Or that it would not be SASS legal?  Chiappa sells this as a shotgun, so it's different than Mares Leg '92's which are sold as handguns.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Would you expand on that?  Do you mean a full buttstock would not fit this gun?  Or that a full stock is not available?  Or that it would not be SASS legal?  Chiappa sells this as a shotgun, so it's different than Mares Leg '92's which are sold as handguns.  Thanks.

Oof... what a rabbit hole ATF's Website is. I may have been mistaken - my thinking was if it was sold with a pistol grip only, it had to remain as such, but if it were originally sold with both pg and full stock, it could be switched back & forth. It appears that may not be correct. A lot hinges on barrel length, which is a whole 'nuther rabbit hole in itself.

Getting off-track of the original post a little bit... government lingo is hard to decipher, but it looks like this could be cut to less than 18", as long as it remained 26"+ overall, BUT if a full stock were installed on the original 18.5" firearm, then it becomes a shotgun forever, and would require ATF approval to cut the barrel to less than 18". This has little to do with the original question, I know, but it illustrates the insanity of the law. If this were cut to less than 18", it appears it would be legal, as long as it was 26"+ overall, BUT if the original PG firearm ever had a full stock installed, it would be illegal to cut the barrel to less than 18", even if you swapped the pistol grip stock back onto it first.

At this point, I honestly don't know. If someone wants to do this - swap out the pg for a full stock - I'd contact the friendly local neighborhood ATF office, and get their determination in writing.

Archived