SASS Wire Forum

Want To Persuade Your Anti-Gun Friends?

It's not impossible. After all, there was a time here when guns weren't political at all; say until about 50 years ago. Now, many think anything to do with firearms is political, and is weird and tainted, as well.

I have (sometimes) successfully used the example of Sweden and Norway. After all, the contemporary left/liberal mythology holds that the Scandinavian countries represent the best of all possible worlds, economically, socially, and politically. This can be exploited in argument by pointing out that firearms ownership and use isn't just widespread in Norway and Sweden, it's practically universal.

For example, rifle marksmanship is a national sport in Norway; puts our firearms competitions in the shade. Here's a video to prove it: huge crowds of cheering spectators, breathless media commentary; we have nothing like it. It's left a few of my anti friends a bit speechless....

You don't need to watch the whole thing; just dip in here and there.

When I was in high school (back in the late 1960's), even in the San Francisco Bay Area most high schools had small-bore rifle teams, generally as part of their JROTC programs.  We also had drill teams that performed and competed with M1's or 1903's.    

Nowadays,  the "Cadet Corps" drill teams use phony wooden or plastic rifles.  And if kids participate in legitimate extracurricular shooting sports or competitions they're likely to be excoriated.  Or worse.   :(  

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Plus the Swiss and their Shutzenfests (sp?).

Coming up July 11, in Luzern!  ^_^

When I was a kid up by the UP, we would have contests amongst the locals.  It was like a picnic and shooting competition.

65 years ago makes a difference.

STL Suomi

(We had Swedes, Finns, Norske, and Poles - great food too)

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I don't have any anti-gun friends.

Nor do I any more, given my eloquence and materials such as this video.

Hope you enjoyed the film, though. It's kind of amazing to see a huge crowd cheering, singing, clapping in unison, holding up signs, etc., at a shooting match. Not to mention television coverage with running commentary.

the swiss - only neutral country in the last big go are required to learn and keep arms for a given period , the isrealis understand why and do as well , our left want us to allow crime as a profession these days - till it hits their homes , what goes around/comes around , nothing wrong with prepared and proficient , i commend norway on their approach , we once had a fairly common civilian marksmanship program , one day we will regret that it is not what it was 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Plus the Swiss and their Shutzenfests (sp?).

When I was in Switzerland in 1974-5 there were racks outside restaurants for guns and they were generally full at lunchtime. On the street, broad daylight.

12 hours ago, bgavin said:

The chances of changing the mind of an anti-gun person is the same as changing my mind to embrace ANTIFA/BLM or Nancy Pelosi.

As a sweeping statement, this is quite untrue. Perhaps it is true in your experience.

A lot of anti-gun sentiment is not really deeply held, and very often in these times arises from total ignorance about firearms. As the generations pass, more and more people are removed from experience with hunting, sport shooting, and the like.

You'd be surprised how many people, especially women, can become interested in firearms with an open-minded approach. I say especially women, because they are often much less dogmatic than men about ordinary things, and they often readily take to the idea of self-defense and personal autonomy, when you get past their superficial negative attitudes.

I live in CA.
Every Leftie here that I have met is virulently anti-Trump and anti-gun.

As for being quite untrue, that is your opinion and not mine.
Your opinion is no more factual than my opinion.

The huge amount of organized anti-gun efforts, marches, protests and lawsuits are being stage by those whose minds cannot be changed.
Since they are making and/or influencing the laws.. they are the only ones that count.

The anti-gun crowd has severely impacted my firearm rights.
I cannot buy ammunition without a DROS and FFL participation.
I cannot shoot my pellet gun at pests in my back yard.
I cannot trade my 243 ammunition with another shooter without going through an FFL.
Nor can I sell a weapon privately or gift a gun to my family without an FFL.

These infringements on my firearm right are directly brought about by anti-gun types that I cannot change their minds.
They are the only ones that count, because they have the power to infringe on my rights in the first place.

I have no anti-gun friends either but I do have some family that are and they are just a lost cause and I only speak to them when I have to!

There are always exceptions.
However, when you choose to make your opinion personal against somebody else " ...this is quite untrue" you are going to get pushback.

Frankly, I only care about changing the minds of those who write laws and regulations to infringe my gun rights.
These are the only ones that matter.

You can have the last word.

As some incidental interesting information, the Norwegian gent who originally brought that video to my attention tells me that the main competition rifle in Norway nowadays is the Sig Sauer 200 STR (Scandinavian target rifle). Apparently in the Scandinavian competitions, the allowed rifles are old military, the Krag-Jorgensen, and the Swedish and Norwegian Mausers.

The idea is to keep competition relatively inexpensive, and thus widespread and not unduly specialized.

18 hours ago, bgavin said:

I live in CA.
Every Leftie here that I have met is virulently anti-Trump and anti-gun.

As for being quite untrue, that is your opinion and not mine.
Your opinion is no more factual than my opinion.

The huge amount of organized anti-gun efforts, marches, protests and lawsuits are being stage by those whose minds cannot be changed.
Since they are making and/or influencing the laws.. they are the only ones that count.

The anti-gun crowd has severely impacted my firearm rights.
I cannot buy ammunition without a DROS and FFL participation.
I cannot shoot my pellet gun at pests in my back yard.
I cannot trade my 243 ammunition with another shooter without going through an FFL.
Nor can I sell a weapon privately or gift a gun to my family without an FFL.

These infringements on my firearm right are directly brought about by anti-gun types that I cannot change their minds.
They are the only ones that count, because they have the power to infringe on my rights in the first place.

The only way firearms laws in CA will change for the better is by SCOTUS majority opinions.  The majority of the judges selected for an banc panels are so anti 2A that they write opinions that are way out there.  The Young case opinion reached new heights in ridiculousness in that no part of the opinion referenced  US law & precedent.  The 9th and other circuits act like "in common use" is not in the text of the Heller v. DC majority opinion nor that "strict scrutiny" must be used when evaluating statutes & regulations that affect the keeping of arms.

We all must stay on top of things I live in a small Texas town of Memphis , In May the county (Hall County) became a firearm sanctuary county . The next week our Police Chief who came from the New York area, got the Memphis city council to pass a law giving him the right to; Take any firearm from anyone he thought had shot it;  when over fifty of us showed up at the next council meeting ; We asks did you read this before it passed 8 for 8 council members said "No they had not" when explained to  the facts; it got thrown out; We also reminded them that most city elections turn is less than 100 voters and the gun club has 171 members. They mite want to think and read before voting

Archived