SASS Wire Forum

Mass Arrest for Guns in MA

So a bunch of knuckleheads from RI, members of a sovereign citizens group, get arrested on Rt. 95 near Wakefield, MA.  All dressed up in camo gear, carrying rifles and pistols.  Supposedly headed to ME for "Training".  Not a single gun permit among them.  They were in the process of refueling their vehicle from gas cans on the side of the road when a State Trooper happened by.  They are all in the hoosgow for now.  

The truly humorous part is the reactions of so many readers, many of whom jumped to the conclusion that they were white, white nationalists, or white nationalist Trumpers.  They were Black, to a man.

Can't wait to read the follow up stories; I sense that they had some other purpose, and it may be legal, not violent.  Some of these guys were previously arrested for squatting in and attempting to assert legal claims on NYC condos.

Happy 4th!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/03/metro/state-police-standoff-with-armed-men-i-95-wakefield/

LL

They look a bit more capable of mischief than the folks at the costume/tailgate party that got out of hand on January 6.

I cringe whenever I see something about a gun permit.  I've never lived in that world and have never had a gun permit. I didn't even know what it was until I went to USNA in the People's Republic of Maryland. Shortly thereafter I learned that from MD to Canada you needed gun permits. Didn't we fight the Brits to get rid of horse-hockey like that? 

PF

Sgt. Sabre, I'm worried about AZ.  We have turned purple. We've had tons of damnyankees and kalifornicators move here.  I hope they don't try to impose their crappy laws and ideas  in the state and local governments.

PF

37 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Sgt. Sabre, I'm worried about AZ.  We have turned purple. We've had tons of damnyankees and kalifornicators move here.  I hope they don't try to impose their crappy laws and ideas  in the state and local governments.

PF

Don’t blame it all on Yankees and Californians. The state of Arizona is actively seeking large companies to move there from all over. 
Smead Capital Investments, a billion dollar company moved from Seattle to Phoenix this past year. Guess what they brought with them? Employees, lots of them and guess how they vote. 
You want to turn the tide? Get active in your state with your politicians. Quit blaming Americans for freely moving about in America. It’s easy to sit around and bitch. Unless you do something about it it’s just going to get worse. 
I am a life long Conservative. I live in California and will be leaving here in one or two years. I am thinking Flagstaff. Do you not want Californians like me? There are a lot of us. People like us can help turn the tide…or not. I may end up elsewhere. Perhaps somewhere where I am welcome. 

1 hour ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

thereafter I learned that from MD to Canada you needed gun permits. Didn't we fight the Brits to get rid of horse-hockey like that? 

I don't think so. There were no gun permit issues in the Revolution as far as I recall.

58 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

PF

I think Arizona has always had lots of Yankees.

11 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

This story would lead every news broadcast if it they were white supremacists, for days.

If they were white they would be classed as “white supremacists” in today’s media. 

1 hour ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

PF

We are indeed purple. Pima County is about as blue as it can get. The local Republican Party doesn't even promote candidates for Office. The entire state is not as bad, and even the locals, with a few exceptions , are gun friendly. If the State tried any gun control measures, I think that they would find out just how dearly Arizonans covet their guns. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If they were white they would be classed as “white supremacists” in today’s media. 

True.  If they were merely a group of white men, or identified themselves as militia or had an American flag, that's how they would be described.

I just saw the report on NBC news. No mention of race. A brief video clip that one of those arrested sent out while the standoff was occurring that did show his face. They didn't describe them as militia, extremists, domestic terrorists or supremacists. So they did do a report but nothing like it would be if it was a different group. Also it remains to be seen if they will report more night after night as they would in other situations. I doubt it.

sounds like it got handled in a very civil way , gun laws aside-and i disagree with them , i wonder at these groups not putting a happy face on and leaving the guns secured during travel , but then i know nothing of that group and want to know nothing - i like my SASS folks that arent trying to instigate social changes , 

i dont disagree -if they were white it would be a field day , having read the article , if you can believe it all , yes they are muslim based and not what i would call normal thinkers but then the sources they cited in the article were less than what i call normal folks being all achedemics with an agenda or a book in progress , i know the writer was trying to cite credible sources yet the best info came from the law enforcement , 

Whatever they were doing and traveling with firearms is one discussion. I'm just mainly looking at the huge difference in how the media will characterize an event depending on what group of people is involved and the amount of coverage they will devote to it.

5 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I cringe whenever I see something about a gun permit.  I've never lived in that world and have never had a gun permit. I didn't even know what it was until I went to USNA in the People's Republic of Maryland. Shortly thereafter I learned that from MD to Canada you needed gun permits. Didn't we fight the Brits to get rid of horse-hockey like that? 

PF

Au contraire Pierre! Heading North from MD to Canady on the East coast once you leave New Hampshire you enter Maine where open carry and Constitutional carry are allowed. At least for now.

8 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No; but don’t try it

LL

Maybe that’s why they did it , if it’s legal wouldn’t it be another case of the police picking on a group of black men ? 

13 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

PF

I know a bunch of those "damnyankees" that moved to Arizona from the Northeast and they are all pro-gun

Yeah ... interesting about the racial aspect of the news coverage ... AND ... pretty poor judgement displaying guns while on the side of the road ...

(like ... why even bother with the low profile refuel if you're not going to keep a low profile .. sigh ...) ... BUT ...

It is pretty interesting that MA statues allows > the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to issue a "temporary carry license" to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority ... subject to terms and conditions said colonel may deem proper".

Wow ... how arbitrary ... (hope this kicks up some 2nd amendment legal teams!! Perhaps the race sensitivity of this incident might just give a needed boost) ... 

This is pretty cool ... These guys seem just a little too articulate for what has happened. This is gonna pop so many different lids off ...

I wonder if they planned to get arrested??!?

Guess there must be a big crowd of folks just like them at their training destination ... CNN must be heading there right now ...  

17 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

PF

McSally lost her election to Kyrsten Sinema... that is a solid indication of the direction AZ is going.
My wife follows a "Leaving California" forum.. and is seeing folks changing their minds about moving to AZ.

We wanted to relocate our two solid Red votes to Prescott, but the price of housing is higher there, than in our area in CA, so we stay put.
I have no desire to start a new $300k mortgage at age 70, and double my property taxes.

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Maybe that’s why they did it , if it’s legal wouldn’t it be another case of the police picking on a group of black men ? 

Black or white, expect to be stopped by the police if you open carry in MA.  Although there are no specific laws that forbid it, you will be cited/arrested for "disturbing the peace", or some similar vague charge.  Your firearm will be seized.  If you have a concealed carry permit, it will be taken, at least temporarily.  In short, there is an assumption among law enforcement that you must be a trouble maker if you open carry.

This has always puzzled me.  We have an extensive web of firearms laws, and yet no law specifically addressing open carry.  You cannot buy a firearm in MA without some type of permit that allows you to possess it; you need a similar permit to buy ammunition; you need a permit to carry concealed (and if you have that permit, it covers possession of any firearm and purchasing ammo as well).  But there are no permits required for open carry, and no prohibitions against it either.

MA recognizes and follows 18 USC 926A; these guys would probably have been fine if they were legally able to own these guns in RI, and secured them properly, unloaded, in an inaccessible portion of their vehicle, while driving through MA.  But having them loaded, out on the roadway or in their hands, was a major no-no.  Being in possession of a handgun in MA without a permit is an automatic mandatory 1 year in prison.  Being in possession of a loaded long gun on a public way, without a proper permit, is also a felony.  I don't know if they were inviting arrest to raise some legal issue, but they are likely to find out now.

I watched an extended YouTube video posted by the leader, Rey.  He has a line of patter that seems to be intended to lull the listener into believing that his group is inoffensive and well-intentioned.  I doubt it.  They may not be overtly violent, but they seem to be intent on avoiding the law, claiming special privilege and immunity, and taking property that is not legally theirs.  They bear watching.

LL

4 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yeah ... interesting about the racial aspect of the news coverage ... AND ... pretty poor judgement displaying guns while on the side of the road ...

(like ... why even bother with the low profile refuel if you're not going to keep a low profile .. sigh ...) ... BUT ...

It is pretty interesting that MA statues allows > the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to issue a "temporary carry license" to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority ... subject to terms and conditions said colonel may deem proper".

Wow ... how arbitrary ... (hope this kicks up some 2nd amendment legal teams!! Perhaps the race sensitivity of this incident might just give a needed boost) ... 

Pete:

All of our concealed carry permits are issued by local Chiefs of Police, who have very wide discretion in determining who is a "fit person" to have such a permit.  They also have the discretion to narrow the legal purpose of such a permit, restricting it to "hunting" only, or "transport of firearms to the range", or any other limitation they may choose.  My permit was issued "for any legal purpose", the broadest classification available.  Some Chiefs refuse to issue such broad permits; some refuse to issue any at all.  There has been some recent litigation concerning outright refusals, where the refused applicant has appealed to the Superior Court; there have not been enough decisions to establish any clear guidance that might serve to restrict the Chiefs' discretion short of requiring legal action.

The temporary licenses are a very unique animal; I've never seen one issued, but I'm sure some have been.

LL

14 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Au contraire Pierre! Heading North from MD to Canady on the East coast once you leave New Hampshire you enter Maine where open carry and Constitutional carry are allowed. At least for now.

Didn't NH cancel it's concealed carry permit requirement last year?  I suppose that makes them a "Constitutional Carry" state as well.  That's a disappointment for me; I used to have an out-of-state NH permit, which broadened the reach of my ability to carry by including states that had reciprocity with NH. Now with no NH permit, I have only a MA permit, recognized by very few other states.  MA does not recognize any other state's permits.

LL

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Didn't NH cancel it's concealed carry permit requirement last year?  I suppose that makes them a "Constitutional Carry" state as well.  That's a disappointment for me; I used to have an out-of-state NH permit, which broadened the reach of my ability to carry by including states that had reciprocity with NH. Now with no NH permit, I have only a MA permit, recognized by very few other states.  MA does not recognize any other state's permits.

LL

Look into it. AFAIK all states that have Constitutional Carry still issue permits when requested for use in those states with reciprocity.

11 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

I didn't know about NH.

Interview by the sheriff said the group had "burglarized a farmer's house".  Wonder what "Rise of the Moors" stands for?  :unsure:  While "Moors" were primarily Muslims, one might check the way the term was used by Bill Shakespeare in Othello.  

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Interview by the sheriff said the group had "burglarized a farmer's house".  Wonder what "Rise of the Moors" stands for?  :unsure:  While "Moors" were primarily Muslims, one might check the way the term was used by Bill Shakespeare in Othello.  

Since the 1200s in heraldry a "Moors head" is the head of a black man with a headband.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZcS7g7A81DvYkfcr5 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:09 AM, bgavin said:

McSally lost her election to Kyrsten Sinema... that is a solid indication of the direction AZ is going.
My wife follows a "Leaving California" forum.. and is seeing folks changing their minds about moving to AZ.

We wanted to relocate our two solid Red votes to Prescott, but the price of housing is higher there, than in our area in CA, so we stay put.
I have no desire to start a new $300k mortgage at age 70, and double my property taxes.

Move to NV.  No state income tax, lower sales & property taxes.  And dramatically lower building permit fees.  If you appreciate equines in the wild, in northern NV you may find them trimming your lawn if you live on the fringes of city limits.  The only drawback is the possibility of hitting one at night crossing highway 50 east of Carson City.  I moved from the East Bay in Jan. 2013 to escape the cost of living & freedom stifling politics.  The only problem is the kalifornication of Clarke County that has resulted in the current state government regime.

Interesting a self professed group of militia on the way to train traveling interstate. Arrested for bearing arms in a civil way. Well regulated, keep and bear, Yada Yada. Love to see how it shakes out. 

Archived