SASS Wire Forum

Steel Base shells in a 97?

Crusty Knees

You will probably have no problems.  A double barrel shotgun is much more likely to hang onto fired hulls and not let them shuck smoothly. 

So, try em before you go to a big match with them.

If they are steel base and ribbed hull walls, they almost certainly are NOT AA hull.s   Probably the Winchester game/promo hulls.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Crusty Knees said:

I found a case of steel base Winchester AA shells.  They're ribbed with a steel base.  Box sez they have a muzzle velocity of 1145fps.  8 shot, 1-1/8 oz.  Will a Norinco 97 handle these/eject them ok?

Oops my error, they are Federal Target loads.  12ga 1-1/8oz 8shot 1145fps.  

25 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The ONLY problem you would probably encounter is the steel bases (rims) of those

shells might hurt the integrity of your steel extractor.

..........Widder

Thank you!

I don't want to ruin any parts.  I'll use something else.

Back when Winchester made there cheap shells with brass bases I never had any trouble, when they went to steel I had trouble. I contacted them, they said I should only use AA in my old 97. I stop using Winchester, shoot every thing and anything and have never had any trouble since.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

56 minutes ago, Crusty Knees said:

Oops my error, they are Federal Target loads.  12ga 1-1/8oz 8shot 1145fps.  

Thank you!

I don't want to ruin any parts.  I'll use something else.

Hey they were plentiful and cheap back when Wal-Mart would sell them as end cap filler at $4.99 and less.

And I used them in my 97's regularly.

I much prefer them to the white box Winchester - I freely interchange them with Remington Gun Club.

1 hour ago, Crusty Knees said:

I found a case of steel base Winchester AA shells.  They're ribbed with a steel base.  Box sez they have a muzzle velocity of 1145fps.  8 shot, 1-1/8 oz.  Will a Norinco 97 handle these/eject them ok?

Never had any issue in my '97 or '87.

They're actually made of tin.

Easy to reload too.

OLG 

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never had any issue in my '97 or '87.

They're actually made of tin.

Easy to reload too.

OLG 

Stick a magnet on them.  They are steel.  

Steel or Tin..... I don't know.

But are there any steel base shells out there?

If there are any steel base shells, like Crusty states,  I would still say they could have an

adverse effect on an Extractor.    Heck, after about a few thousand brass based shells,

I've had an Extractor wear out..... :D

..........Widder

Bases are NOT primarily Tin - too soft. 

Yes, they ARE steel with a zinc, cadmium, or even a tin "wash" (thin plating) over them to slow down rust..  Cheap base metal on shells has been steel (not tin) for years.  Tin is only a "paramagnetic" metal - meaning it is very weakly attracted to a magnet.  Steel is ferromagnetic - so it is strongly attracted to a magnet, even it is has a zinc or tin wash on it.   A few steel heads are even brass washed - the Remington Clays and Field shells are an example.

It would take a LOT of steel hulls to give much wear on a 97 extractor.  They go through semi-auto shotguns real well, which hit the extractor a lot harder, without much problem.  All European and British hulls are steel bases.  All the Federal hulls are steel bases.  Remington Gun Clubs are steel.   Winchester white box hulls are steel.  Not to worry.

Where brass bases make a big difference is in DOUBLES that don't use extractors. Like Ours!  There the spring-back of brass bases enable much easier shucking..

good luck, GJ

Without getting into a scientific discussion tin is paramagnetic.  Shotshell bases are not made of tin nor as often claimed on this site aluminum.  The only shells still made with brass bases are Remington STS and Nitros and Winchester AAs.  Even with Winchester their latest "Diamond" grade AAs are steel based.  The vast majority of shotshells are steel based.  Some are plated with different finishes (primarily brass or nickle) but the basic material is steel.  Many shotguns don't like steel based hulls and this can vary from brand to brand of steel based hulls.  The only way to find out for sure is to fire a few boxes.  Most 97s will fire them with no problem.  I have one with a very tight chamber and it will tolerate mild steel based hull handloads but will jam shut with most steel based factory loads.  Shoots brass based AAs fine.

2867403_100795848_is.jpeg

Archived