SASS Wire Forum

WTB Large RIFLE Primers (Found a few for now, but will need more)

So I got my new-to-me 1885 Highwall from a very kind Cowboy and I've shot it several times using the ammo that came with it. I like it and it likes me! It also came with RCBS Cowboy dies and tons of bullets and some brass. I have powder. I joined a local club that has long range matches twice a month.

Sounds fabulous, right??? Well, it is except I can't shoot the matches at my new club because I can't find Large Rifle Primers anywhere.

Is there anybody in the Southeast who could sell me some?

I'm in East Tennessee. I'll be going to Black Gold in two weeks if meeting there is a possibility. I'm also willing to drive pretty far if necessary. I go to matches in TN (Greene County Regulators), NC (High Country Cowboys, Gunpowder Creek Regulators, Iredell Regulators), and SC (Belton Bushwhackers, Greenville Gunfighters, Moonshine At Dark Corner) pretty regularly if you can meet at one of those. 

Please help a girl out! I just wanna shoot my rifle!! I was really hoping to shoot in the Long Range side match at Black Gold, but it's looking more and more like my dreams will be squashed!!!

Sent a PM

5 hours ago, AlOvera said:

I been using large pistol primers in my 38-55 loads for years.  Work just fine.  Try it (if you can find them)

Al

Can't find those either, but it's great to know that I have another option! Thanks!!!

5 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Cabela's near you? Ours had a whole rack of primers last week.

There is a Cabela's about an hour and a half from me. I will call them first thing in the morning, thanks!!

I know it's a bit of a drive, but if you come shoot at Wartrace, 3rd Saturday, I think I have some that I will give you.  I'll look tonight if you are interested. Probably just one tray of 100.

• Fox Creek Stitcher changed the title to WTB Large RIFLE Primers (Found a few for now, but will need more)

PMs sent and responded to.

Thanks to everyone for being so kind and willing to help me out. I've lined up a few hundred to get me started and I'm very grateful for your help.

Stitcher

:FlagAm: Annie and I will be at the TN State again this year.  I have a good quantity of large rifle primers.  I know it is four months away, but if you still need some, please let me know and I will bring them back with us.  I will look this weekend as to manufacturer.  Pre pandemic pricing as well.  

Regards, 

Chas B;)

1 hour ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Annie and I will be at the TN State again this year.  I have a good quantity of large rifle primers.  I know it is four months away, but if you still need some, please let me know and I will bring them back with us.  I will look this weekend as to manufacturer.  Pre pandemic pricing as well.  

Regards, 

Chas B;)

That is very kind of you, thank you. I feel pretty confident that I'll need more be then.  I'm not super worried about the manufacturer since they're for a single shot long range rifle. Light primer strikes shouldn't be an issue. 

18 minutes ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

That is very kind of you, thank you. I feel pretty confident that I'll need more be then.  I'm not super worried about the manufacturer since they're for a single shot long range rifle. Light primer strikes shouldn't be an issue. 

When the accuracy bug bites you hard, the spiral staircase is a climb.  All cases trimmed to exactly the same length and all weighed so same lots are grouped together.  A mark on the back of the rim in the same place on every case so they are orientated in the chamber exactly the same.  All bullets weighed and grouped together.  And yes, using the same brand of primer is also the rule of thumb.  I can go on but you have enough to ponder right now.

Chas B

1 hour ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

When the accuracy bug bites you hard, the spiral staircase is a climb.  All cases trimmed to exactly the same length and all weighed so same lots are grouped together.  A mark on the back of the rim in the same place on every case so they are orientated in the chamber exactly the same.  All bullets weighed and grouped together.  And yes, using the same brand of primer is also the rule of thumb.  I can go on but you have enough to ponder right now.

Chas B

Yes. I believe I have fallen into a deep rabbit hole here and I can't possibly see the bottom at this time. I'm only at the place of trying to learn how to load black powder cartridges. I have so much to study and learn:  trickle tube, cardboard wads, lubricated wads, lubing bullets, compressing the powder, determining perfect oal, goex vs swiss, and more and more.  

Archived