SASS Wire Forum

Your top 3 comedians of all time

Chantry

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The entire Carol Burnette Show cast

Agreed!

Robin Williams was in his own sphere. From standup to comedic acting to Dead Poets Society. He was the complete package. 

Bob Hope. Can’t say enough. 

Steven Wright. If The Far Side did stand up...

Red Skelton - His old shows are now on RFD TV.

Jeff Foxworthy

Phyllis Diller

And Honorable Mention goes to [drum roll please] President Ronald Reagen.  I have a VHS tape called "Stand Up Reagen", and he could probably hold his own on Improv night.  The best joke I heard him tell was during a debate with Vice President Walter Mondale, and President Reagen said something like, "I will not made age an issue in this campaign and hold my opponent's youth and inexperience against him."  The whole place just broke up and even Mondale appeared to be laughing.

EDIT:  Newsmax TV just showed a program called "Ronald Reagen: His Winning Wit."    It revealed that he actually wrote all of his jokes.  I just watched it and I was practically rolling on the floor.

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

A Coon Huntin' Story is probably the single funniest piece of comedy I've ever heard.

I dunno!! Marcel and the draft board is right up there and the chainsaw is close too!

42 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I dunno!! Marcel and the draft board is right up there and the chainsaw is close too!

They're definitely close behind. "They gave Marcel the beer joint."

Duos!!  Martin and Lewis, Abbott and Costello, and Laurel and Hardy!!

1. Red Skelton (hands down no brainer)

Gets tougher after that. Not sure how I'd rank them but..

Jerry Clower

Abbot and Costello

Jeff Foxworthy

Bill Engvall

Larry the Cable Guy

Tim Conway

Harvey Corman

Guess that's enough.

JHC

23 hours ago, DocWard said:

A Coon Huntin' Story is probably the single funniest piece of comedy I've ever heard.

That's certainly a good one. Mine would probably be Bill Cosby's gag about going to the dentist. Laughed so hard I honestly thought I was gonna die (couldn't breathe!) Broke my heart the way things played out. Always liked him.

JHC

Here's two at opposite ends of the spectrum. Bob Newhart and Sam Kinison.

I love Bob's toupee phone bit. On the phone he responds to customer service, "I know I can wear it in a hurricane or swimming. I just want it to stay out of the cheese dip!".

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Here's two at opposite ends of the spectrum. Bob Newhart and Sam Kinison.

I love Bob's toupee phone bit. On the phone he responds to customer service, "I know I can wear it in a hurricane or swimming. I just want it to stay out of the cheese dip!".

I do my Sam Kennison impression in the car!!      Like, “If people are passing you on the right on the freeway, YOU’RE IN THE WRONG DAMNED LANE!!” :lol:

Excluding Robin Williams who was in a class of his own my picks are 

Jeff Foxworthy

Bill Engval and if you have never seen him James Gregory

19 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Has everyone forgotten Buddy Hacket?

Saw him on Carson one night when he was talking about going on the wagon, and realized that when he got up in the morning that was the best he would feel all day.  Funny guy.  Rickles, Williams, Pryor, Newhart, Alan King and a host of others .

Watching “Streets of Laredo” the other night, I was reminded that George Carlin was one hell of an actor as well as a comedian! The character he played is captivating and he disappeared into the role!!

Whoda’thunkit?? George Carlin!!  A cowboy actor!!

1. Groucho Marx (way before his time)

2. Richard Pryor (you're racist if you don't agree - most woke children have no idea who he was)

3. Robin Williams (at his best while doing cocaine)

This is why I don't like Robin Williams...........

Another clip of this liberal whacko.............

Richard Pryor

Rodney Dangerfield

Bernie Mac

Henny Youngman

Jack E. Leonard

On 7/7/2021 at 9:15 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This is why I don't like Robin Williams...........

I didn't care for his political humor, which was about the only time I didn't find him funny, but he also went on a lot of USO tours and that is enough for me to give a pass on his politics:

https://www.uso.org/stories/29-he-brought-them-light-how-robin-williams-turned-his-uso-tours-into-personal-experiences-for-troops

Archived