SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Tuning - Help

Greenhorny

Hello

I have a Ruger New model Blackhawk .45 Colt / ACP. Now I have given it to a gunsmith for a tune up. He told me that he has now installed the tuning kit, but things are still a little "clunky / rattling". I told him that I'm going to check out forums for further information and advice.

First I want to make sure that the tuning kit I ordered is really the right one. I think it is, but just to be sure: It is the "POWER CUSTOM Hammer/Vaquero® Trigger Kit, Silver" from Brownells with part number 713000046.

https://www.brownells.ch/epages/Switzerland.sf/de_CH/?ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=713000046&ICShowAllFacets=1

What the installation of the hammer concernes, I have already been able to gather a lot of valuable information. I am more interested in advice concerning the installation of the other parts of the kit; trigger, springs, etc.

I would be very happy if you could give me tips and information for the installation; what to consider, what are the possible difficulties respectively stumbling blocks, etc.?

Thanks in advance and greetings

Greenhorny

I'm not calling myself an expert but I have won more than a few matches with Ruger Blackhawks.  Normally all that is required is springs a bit of internal polish and it's done.   The Blackhawks that I own or have owned none was clunky either new nor later and I have literally wore a few out.  As I don't know what you call clunky it is difficult to accurately give you advice.  Single actions do "clunk" from cylinder to cylinder but it isn't a clunk there is quite a bit going on the pawl pushes the ratchet on the cylinder the bolt retracts the cylinder spins and stops as the bolt drops into the indent.  This is general speaking not a clunky operation unless something is wrong follow Lumpy's advice and contact Powercustom.

Power Custom makes the gold standard for aftermarket revolver parts and they usually drop in well enough when using their hammer and trigger, but there still may be fitting involved. If using the factory trigger some fitting is necessary. I would be worried if my gunsmith didn't know that or couldn't perform it. 

I've used their parts in a dozen or so guns, to include full gut job/#5 grip conversions on guns getting a caliber swap and have always had extremely good luck with their parts. 

It would help if we knew where you were located...the odd SASS # response, empty profile, and link to a Swiss-language version of Brownell's make it tough. There are a lot of competent gunsmiths that could get your Blackhawk right with some more information. 

According to the link you provided, it looks like you ordered a hammer for a Bisley Vaquero.  The hammers for a Bisley Blackhawk are not a drop-in part for a standard New Blackhawk.

I can’t read German though, and it may explain that somewhere.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

According to the link you provided, it looks like you ordered a hammer for a Bisley Vaquero.  The hammers for a Bisley Blackhawk are not a drop-in part for a standard New Blackhawk.

I can’t read German though, and it may explain that somewhere.

Here is the English link.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/hammer-vaquero-trigger-kit-silver-sku713000046-25443-43629.aspx?sku=713000046

I agree it looks like a kit for a Bisley.

Randy

Thank's for your answers. I think that I first have to be sure, whether the kit is the right one. On Brownells the description is:

Drop-in fit for new model large frame Blackhawk®, Super Blackhawk®, and Vaquero®.

SPECS: Fits new model Blackhawk®, Super Blackhawk®, and large frame Vaquero® with no modifications.

Shouldn't that be the right one for my New Model Blackhawk?

And thank you for the hint concerning "Power Custom"

5 hours ago, Greenhorny said:

And; I called my gunsmith 10 minutes ago and asked him to describe the problem(s) a bit more in detail. He said:

It scratches on the trigger catch when pulling the trigger

"trigger catch" ?  Is that the "sear"?  

A gunsmith describing things that way might raise my antennae just a bit. 

• 1 month later...

It's done. My gunsmith have sent me my Ruger back.

- Bisley Hammer: How I wished it to be. No I can reach the hammer without changing my hand-position.

- Trigger: another world. Much softer and with three "klicks" like a Colt.

- Cylinder Timing: unfortunately as before. Wheeling the cylinder loading the gun, the holes of the cylinder still doesn't fit right behind the loading gate (such as with a Colt). But honestly I didn't expect, that this could be done without a lot more time in the tuning process resp. with more experience such as American gunsmiths probably have.

But!!!

As I mentioned: the trigger is much softer now, but extremely soft, or better said, much too soft. I guess the trigger weight is clearly lighter than at my SIG P210 Pistol and more or less the same as at my small caliber Hämmerli-Sport Pistol (1'000g resp. 35 Ounces or 2.2 Pounds). I like that at my Hämmerli, but for a single-action tank as my Ruger in Caliber .45 LC or ACP I think it is much to light. I can hardly touch the trigger and shots set off.

I wrote my Gunsmith today, asking to adjust it a little heavier again (to 1.4-1.6 kg / 3-3.5 pounds). I wonder, what he will answer.

Another possibility is to adjust it on my own, but I hardly dare.

51 minutes ago, Greenhorny said:

It's done. My gunsmith have sent me my Ruger back.

- Bisley Hammer: How I wished it to be. No I can reach the hammer without changing my hand-position.

- Trigger: another world. Much softer and with three "klicks" like a Colt.

- Cylinder Timing: unfortunately as before. Wheeling the cylinder loading the gun, the holes of the cylinder still doesn't fit right behind the loading gate (such as with a Colt). But honestly I didn't expect, that this could be done without a lot more time in the tuning process resp. with more experience such as American gunsmiths probably have.

But!!!

As I mentioned: the trigger is much softer now, but extremely soft, or better said, much too soft. I guess the trigger weight is clearly lighter than at my SIG P210 Pistol and more or less the same as at my small caliber Hämmerli-Sport Pistol (1'000g resp. 35 Ounces or 2.2 Pounds). I like that at my Hämmerli, but for a single-action tank as my Ruger in Caliber .45 LC or ACP I think it is much to light. I can hardly touch the trigger and shots set off.

I wrote my Gunsmith today, asking to adjust it a little heavier again (to 1.4-1.6 kg / 3-3.5 pounds). I wonder, what he will answer.

Another possibility is to adjust it on my own, but I hardly dare.

A Ruger factory untuned trigger spring will increase the trigger pull and they are easy to install. 

Randy

On 7/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

"trigger catch" ?  Is that the "sear"?  

A gunsmith describing things that way might raise my antennae just a bit. 

Uhhh...translation...???

I take it you're assuming that the Gunsmith was speaking English.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uhhh...translation...???

I take it you're assuming that the Gunsmith was speaking English.

Phantom

Valid point.  I guess I just never really thought very much about non-English speaking gunsmiths.  Never met one.    

37 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They have them in other countries.

I am sure.  I've just never met one in my non-travels. 

Second thoughts:  I guess with Uberti, Fiocci, Beretta, Cz, and many more out there, I should have known???

Archived