SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Sport Pistol Powder Reloading information for 38 Special for Cowboy Action Shooting

Oklahoma Dee

Howdy,  Heard some  good things about Sport Pistol, such as cleaner burning, maybe a perceived lower recoil and a few other items.

So...Not interested in any OTHER POWDERS  >>>>> Please ....create your own thread.  Thank you

I am interested in facts concerning the Alliant Sport Pistol Powder, for your pistols and any chronograph information, Please include your data findings such as

Amount of powder of Sport Pistol, average velocity, barrel length, bullet weight, using the 38 Special brass.

Many thanks

I have not seen any one that is selling any Alliant powder.  Have your seen it for sale anywhere?

I bought some online and like the powder.  It is fine grained and meters well.  It burns at a low temperature and leaves little soot.  Last weekend I shot a match with Sport Pistol for my revolver rounds and Unique in my rifle rounds.  After a stage the rifle barrel was hot and the revolver barrels barely warm.  I am loading 3.8 grains under a 125 grain coated bullet, Fed 100 primers in assorted 38 Special cases.  I have no chrono data.  I wish Alliant would develop loading data for more cartridges.  I would like to use Sport Pistol in my wife's .32s.

It is great powder.  I’ve been using it for over a year now.  38 spl  105 grain Missouri Bullet with 3.4 grains, chrono average 653 FPS.  This is with a 4.625 barrel ruger vaquero.     Average power factor 68.  

Same powder charge with 130 grain bullet going down a 20” rifle barrel, 793 average.   I found it to be very consistent and not temperature sensitive.  My cases were getting some blowback on them so I’ve increased to 3.45 grains and it seems to be a bit cleaner on the casings.  

OAL on the 130 rounds is 1.48.  At 1.47”, average velocity was 810.  SD was 25 if you want to get really technical. 

Great information, Two Shoots!  Gives me some leewayand starting point.  :FlagAm:

OAL on the 105’s is 1.35 or so.  I crimp those in the groove.  On the rifle rounds, I crimp outside the groove because my Marlin likes the longer OAL.  

Archived