SASS Wire Forum

Henry Repeating Arms customer service

:ph34r:  Just got replacement Golden Boy .22 and it is GORGEOUS!  Nice wood, soft cloth sock over GLEAMING brass receiver, nice clean new oil smell..... Wahooo!

When the nice lady from Warranty division called to tell me they would replace rather than fix my ruptured GB I asked if they couldn't just re-barrel it.  She said there were cracks in the receiver, too, and they would be replacing it.  I whined that it meant another 10 day wait, $$ for FFL fees and background check.  She agreed that it was unfortunate, but that they would include a $100 gift  voucher to compensate. 

Am I a satisfied customer?  You bet!  Made in America, with service to match!

About twenty years ago I had my LGS order a standard Henry .22 for my son, the Sassparilla Kid.  It took a couple weeks to arrive, then the ten-day "cooling off" wait, but finally we were able to head to the range.  The then nine-year old Kid absolutely loved it.

But it had a problem.  It kept jamming.  Nothing I could do helped; it had a problem.

So, back to the LGS we went.  The proprietor said he'd ship it back to Henry for repair; should take two to four weeks for repair and return.

Six weeks later, no rifle.  Proprietor said he had no idea what became of it and it was out of his hands.

So, I found a phone number and called up Henry directly - and to my surprise, no other than Anthony Imperato himself answered the phone!  I explained my quandary; he said he'd check and call me right back.  And he did - told me that they had no record of having received the faulty rifle, but still apologized sincerely and said he would ship a replacement out right away.  He did, and two days later it was at the LGS.  Unfortunately, we had to repeat the 10-day thing, but it was a fine li'l "growing up" rifle for the Kid.

The man does stand behind his products!

By the way - for any who may not know, the standard Henry .22 (1997 - present) is essentially a clone of the Ithaca 72 (1973 - 1979), and later the Iver Johnson .22 (made by Erma and imported 1985 - 1990).  Main difference is the originals were steel receivers; the Henry is Zamac ( Zinc, Aluminum, Magnesium, and Copper alloy).  

Henry Standard Model

image.png.d46e3354b8f362ed2a4f9c7c459a5611.png

Ithaca Model 72

image.png.d54c8d6c0d8d8db176ffc95d073634ad.png

Iver Johnson “Wagonmaster”

image.png.3a71559d25c3f507cb9c0f5038e6bef6.png

The Kid's rifle

1402398846_SassparillasHenry.thumb.jpg.1297f2cf47245de99669729172503c3f.jpg

My Iver Johnson does not have a steel receiver.  It is built just like the standard Henry.  I have always read that Henry bought the tooling from Erma.  So it is not so much a clone as a continuation series.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0003.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

My Iver Johnson does not have a steel frame.  It is built just like the standard Henry.  I have always read that Henry bought the tooling from Erma.  So it is not so much a clone as a continuation series.

That's 'way cool, Larsen!  ^_^

Anyway, it was the original - the Ithaca - that was steel.  My god son has one ~ that's what got me interested in the "genealogy" of the li'l rifles.  :)

Now, the Kid's Henry rifle has plastic "innards" and front sight.  I've never held an original I J... does yours have plastic or metal components?  

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

How did a .22 "rupture?"

That’s what I’d like to know also!:o

The front sight is cast as part of the barrel band and is metal with a brass bead in it.  I did not remember seeing any plastic parts but I have not had it apart for a while.  It is hotter than hell and I am bored so I poped the top off the receiver.  No plastic.  Everything is metal.  Even the follower is metal and I have seen a lot of those made of plastic.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0003.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The front sight is cast as part of the barrel band and is metal with a brass bead in it.  I did not remember seeing any plastic parts but I have not had it apart for a while.  It is hotter than hell and I am bored so I popped the top off the receiver.  No plastic.  Everything is metal.  Even the follower is metal and I have seen a lot of those made of plastic.

Cool!  The carrier in the Kid's rifle is plastic; the front barrel band/sight is also plastic - with a slight list to port.  

Works, though!  :)

:ph34r:  Larsen and Rye, the problem happened with basic Winchester .22 ammunition.  Several rounds fired as usual, and then a couple seemed to need extra oomph (scientific descriptive term for applied force) with lever to extract.  Next round sounded like a squib, but target, a soda can, was hit.  No luck on extraction this time.  Drove case out with cleaning rod.  Case was split, and slightly bulged.  Not an oob incident.  Cracks seen in barrel from receiver to back of rear sight, both sides.  I didn't see the cracked receiver that was mentioned by warranty dept. , but rear of barrel at breach was cracked, so chamber must have been 'growing'.....  I was at least 2nd owner. 

Told the lady (who seemed very knowledgable, besides being pleasant) I'd never seen or even heard of such a thing on a .22.  She just said to send it in, and call tags would be emailed ASAP, and they were.

I don't know the cause, either.  Not a squib because all rounds fired that session exited barrel, as evidenced by target hits.  Ammo seemed consistent, nothing unusual there (even had the 'consistent' approximate 2-3% failure to fire rate....) .

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.........

10 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Just got replacement Golden Boy .22 and it is GORGEOUS!  Nice wood, soft cloth sock over GLEAMING brass receiver, nice clean new oil smell..... Wahooo!

When the nice lady from Warranty division called to tell me they would replace rather than fix my ruptured GB I asked if they couldn't just re-barrel it.  She said there were cracks in the receiver, too, and they would be replacing it.  I whined that it meant another 10 day wait, $$ for FFL fees and background check.  She agreed that it was unfortunate, but that they would include a $100 gift  voucher to compensate. 

Am I a satisfied customer?  You bet!  Made in America, with service to match!

Second to None ! 

Twice now I have missed out on Henry .22 lever guns at my LGS in the past couple of months. Looking forward to buying one. 
My Henry Single Shot rifle is a Beauty. 

I've seen and handled probably over 200 Henry .22 lever rifles.

In modifying all of them, I've only seen 2 that had plastic carriers, but all the other 

internals were metal.

I think they stopped the plastic carriers early on and started making the carriers

with aluminum.   Of those I have seen, all the other parts have been metal with only

a couple exceptions:  front barrel band and mag tube follower.

I agree about their service..... it is fantastic.

And, when ya call them, you actually get a live, ENGLISH SPEAKING, person to help 

you over the phone.

..........Widder

Howdy,

I encountered some win 22 ammo that did not fit into my Bearcat.

In one box about one of 20 wouldnt slide in easy.

I think ammo got a little out of spec due to making so much so fast.

If you have any problems loading win 22 set those aside DONT force

rounds into the chamber of revolver or automatic.

Contact winchester and maybe they will send you replacement or

at least be aware of problems.

And it seems like one should be able to send a rifle in for repair and

have it returned without getting a dealer and waiting...

Different states Im sure.  your local laws may vary.

See no ownership changes......

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

And it seems like one should be able to send a rifle in for repair and

have it returned without getting a dealer and waiting...

Different states Im sure.  your local laws may vary.

See no ownership changes......

Best

CR

If they just replaced the barrel, they could have shipped the gun directly back to the owner's house without going through an FFL.   They replaced the whole gun so it would be like starting all over with the background checks.  The 10 day waiting period in California is to make the streets safer and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.   I know I feel safer.... (sarcasm mode off)

I wasn't happy with their service. 

I cleaned my Golden Boy and must have gotten some solvent on the Mag tube follower. It was made of orange plastic. Anyway it would just come out and not stay in. I called to get a replacement for the 25 cent part. They told me I would have to buy the whole tube assembly. That was about 26 dollars. I bought it and started looking online for the follower. I found a place in Texas that makes one out of brass and bought 2 of them. The person on the phone at Henry spoke like it was rocket science to change it out. Other than that I like the Golden Boy.   Brass on left cheap plastic on right.

IMG_1104.thumb.JPG.6b33d5e1de42239c4e2aea445248909c.JPG

Archived