SASS Wire Forum

Got a surprise this morning from the SSA

:FlagAm: With the official "you are an old guy" day looming on 9July, I called this past Tuesday to do the Medicare sign up and Social Security.  After answering all the questions, the nice lady informed me that my first deposit would be on the second Wednesday of the month, which would be 14July.  If not deposited on 9July, I would receive two in August.  Well, I checked the bank statements this A.M. as I always do and there was a SSA deposit.  Two days ain't bad.  Now I can afford an ice-cream for Annie, myself and Riley the rescue dog. 

Now if my body didn't hurt.

Cheers,

Chas B

I found getting signed up for Social Security and Medicare and Part A through Z most stressful,  even though Sawmill Mary did all the real work. I just drove and had to show I was alive and could sign my name.  My B.S. alarm went off often.

Wow.

When I signed up - my birthday is November the 20th - they told me that I could not get any money for November because I had not been old enough the entire month. Then they told me they hold back one month so I would not get December's money until my payday in January.

You don't hit the magic number until sometime in July, and you get paid in July, and your payday is the second Wednesday (which this month will be the 14th) and you get paid on July 1st? You should not get any money for July because you are not old enough the entire month, and you should not get any money in August because you don't get the August check until September.

I think somebody screwed up, and they will catch it one day and take money away from you.

It was against the law for me to pay into SS because I was a cop.. Therefor I was not eligible.:(

5 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

It was against the law for me to pay into SS because I was a cop.. Therefor I was not eligible.:(

I also was cop and even though I paid into SS for years from other jobs I only get 40% of what I should be entitled to 

55 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wow.

When I signed up - my birthday is November the 20th - they told me that I could not get any money for November because I had not been old enough the entire month. Then they told me they hold back one month so I would not get December's money until my payday in January.

You don't hit the magic number until sometime in July, and you get paid in July, and your payday is the second Wednesday (which this month will be the 14th) and you get paid on July 1st? You should not get any money for July because you are not old enough the entire month, and you should not get any money in August because you don't get the August check until September.

I think somebody screwed up, and they will catch it one day and take money away from you.

:FlagAm: There you go again spreading joy, happiness and wonderment thru out the land.  So what if I get docked on the 14th or they withdraw today's deposit.  Money goes into a slush fund savings account.  Makes me no never mind.  

Besides, it ain't your weekend to be out in the general population so someone needs to take the keyboard away from you.

Chas B 

I wonder if their fiscal year is July 1 to June 30?

I typed that sentence then went and did a search and that led to cussing and frustration until I found a news article whining…I mean, explaining why the SSA is…Oh, never mind. 
Thrir fiscal year starts on October 1st each year. 

So, my theory is out the window. Moving on…

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I also was cop and even though I paid into SS for years from other jobs I only get 40% of what I should be entitled to 

Government considers you double dipping which disqualifies you for the 100% you would be entitled for. But, if you had worked two federal jobs that does not matter on the double dipping policy. As far as I know.

Yeah when I signed up I got a real surprise.  After they calculated the "offset" so that i was not "double dipping" I wound up getting a bill from Medicare for two grand a year.

I was surprised and gratified 4 years back when I signed up for SS that it was so smooth and the people I talked to were very helpful. And no waiting on the phone; they assigned me a person with a direct number.

I expected more obstacles with such a large bureaucracy; I was happy.

I took mine at 62  since I started working as Union Carpenter at 18 I have plenty of quarters to get nice claim 

my birthday is july 27  on August 26 the payment was in my account 

Union pension come of the last day of month . last few years we got extra $1000 in oct just in time to buy  a gun 

Who cares when it starts. When you die they take that month check back. My mother died at 9:30 pm the last day of the month and by the third of the following month it had been debited out of her account by SSA. 

Imis  (psst Chas, you really is old)

so i ask again , why did we put our retirement in government hands or our medical treatment ? you can give me all the feedback you want but responcible people plan a little and no we dont have to take care of stupid people 

10 minutes ago, watab kid said:

so i ask again , why did we put our retirement in government hands or our medical treatment ? you can give me all the feedback you want but responcible people plan a little and no we dont have to take care of stupid people 

We did it because Congress did it generations ago, and it has enjoyed overwhelming popular support ever since.

I consider myself a responsible person and I planned  not a little but a lot. And my SS check fits very nicely into that plan.

As the SS website will remind one, the system was not intended for full retirement; it was part of the 'three-legged stool.'  Like any other retirement stream of income, it plays a very important role. I'll keep mine; thanks.

yes , im not turning mine away either , i wonder a bit at it getting taxed , but then im still surprised that some of the covid funds havent been taxed , 

i did some planning and im fine but i think there are many that dont think that far ahead with the SSA promises and deductions they think they are getting covered and have no idea how little that really is in the big picture , they used to send a periodic statement that sort of let you know what to expect , i dont think they do that anymore , we shall see how it all plays out 

I took disability at 59. Filed in July and got my first check at Christmas that same year. I had been forced to retire more than two years prior and received back payment from that point.  With full disability, you receive the rate you’d get if you went the maximum retirement age. The drawback is that until you DO reach retirement age, you’re limited as to how much additional income you can receive!!

The original plan for Social Security was for it to be non-taxable, but congress changed that in the sixties, I believe, and then moved the money from a separate, protected fund into the “General Fund” so that they could “borrow” money from the fund, money that has NEVER been paid back!!

My spouse signed up for medicare, when she turned 65, but won't sign up for social(ist) security, until she turns 66, so she can get full benefits.

Anyway, it turns out they bill her for 3 months at a time, until she turns 66, and signs up for social(ist) security. After she signs up for social(ist) security, then they just deduct a one month payment from each of her social(ist) security checks.

But...that three month bill is kicking my backside....whew. :angry:  

Dealing with any level of government, is a pain. The government is run by red-tape idiots. 

Lincoln was wrong, as it turns out. This NOT a government of the people, by the people, and for the people....if it ever was. 

W.K.

Got a rude shock in January.  Made too much money or something two years ago, plus Medicare increased.  Wound up getting $154.86 LESS than the previous year! :angry:  I do get a pension from an aerospace firm I worked for.  Just enough to take my family out to dinner once a month...if we can find a restaurant that hasn't gone under due to the pandemic! :(

49 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Just enough to take my family out to dinner once a month...if we can find a restaurant that hasn't gone under due to the pandemic! :(

Better hurry.  Son bought us lunch on Father's Day at a local restaurant.   The price of steak on the menu was taped over and written in "at market price". If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Another independent steakhouse has a special of 2 8oz sirloin dinners for $24.00. Last time we were there, a big patch over $24 with $28.00. (We had the $7.00 fish sandwiche special.)

Like gold rush days. Sign says "Egg, $3.00. Guy comes out and changes the 3 to 8.

"....The government is run by red-tape idiots. ..." 

as my old employer used to say - 'there is profit in confusion'  , no wonderin who is getting the profit as i already know who is getting the confusion 

Archived