SASS Wire Forum

Shooting cap and ball in the rain

I shot my first EOT this year and really enjoyed it very much. On the third day of the shoot I was in the mid day group and was faced with four stages in the rain.

Moisture is a real problem with cap and ball ignition.

I made it through three stages with no issues but on the fourth the rain caught up to me and had three fail to fire. Got a pop of the cap but no ignition of the powder. 
looking for suggestions to improve my shooting. Would a magnum cap help?

best regards

16 minutes ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Would a magnum cap help?

best regards

Maybe.

So might covering the gun with your hat while charging your cylinders.

So might wearing a coat to cover your holstered revolvers while awaiting your turn to shoot.  Or putting a plastic sandwich bag over the holstered guns before the nipples are capped at the loading table.

Rain is the Frontiersman’s curse!

Well, one of several curses...

Check out Griff's video where he wanted to have a clean match so on the last stage he had to recap several times to complete the stage and even though his time was LONG he got his clean match. 

I have read about Civil War soldiers putting candle wax on the caps after being seated but not charged.

Bugler

Like the old saying, “keep your powder dry.”  The key is loading the guns dry and then capping them dry.  Find a roof, golf cart, umbrella, etc. to load under, most clubs are fine with charging cylinders away from the loading table.  Also be sure to use real black powder not a sub.

I shot in the same posse as Griff, he was determined to shoot a clean match and we all admired his commitment to do so.

that third day the rain was constantly falling just the amount varied.

I loaded the guns under a large umbrella taking care to keep it dry. The guns once charged were placed into holster under my rain slicker.

The caps all fired but as mentioned three failed to powder. Powder was APP fffg. Grif was using real black and as you can see on his video experienced failure to ignite the powder. I did recap the chambers that failed and they fired with the second try.

Enjoyed the shoot and would do it again just looking to improve the results in rain.

Marshal

Shot C&B in the rain for the first time at Wartrace last year. Loaded under an umbrella or inside the stage.  Had a couple of chambers FTF. Started paying close attention and noticed that occasionally a drop of water would fall off the brim of my hat and land on the pistol as I was loading. Took my hat off during loading and didn't have any more issues.

One thing I'll add to my kit for loading in the rain is a can of DustOff. The plastic extension tube fits into the hole in my Treso and Slix nipples. a quick blast of air clears the nipple of any moisture, oil, or other obstructions. 

I already use it at home after cleaning to displace any water after cleaning. I also give the nipples a quick blast before putting them in the case when getting everything ready for a match.

I Shot the Midday wave on Day three. The Rain was overwhelming for me and the Remingtons. I loaded cylinders in advance the night before , just not able to keep them DRY. I had several FTF on each stage.

15 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Check out Griff's video where he wanted to have a clean match so on the last stage he had to recap several times to complete the stage and even though his time was LONG he got his clean match. 

Thanks for sharing the video (I missed Griff’s post).  He brought out a good point about forgetting to keep his capper dry.  So I guess I’ll add an extra plastic bag to my rain poke for the capper.  

Switch too the Open Top Cartridge guns in the hi humidity and rain lol :lol::lol::lol:

Early on as a Frontiersman I never used a pick to ensure the vents in the nipples were open. Now, after several failures to fire, rain or dry, I run a pick through the flash holes on every chamber after recharging.  One less thing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this and thought I'd add a couple things that have helped me over the years.   Shooting in the Midwest year round has some interesting challenges when it comes to weather.  Rain and snow are part of normal weather here and short of not shooting in it I've found a couple things that work for me and others that I'm not a fan of.   First thing I found is that a zip up double pistol case is a huge life saver when it comes to keeping things dry.   Its just a flat Cordura case big enough for both pistols that zips closed.  Its not entirely water proof but it works pretty well.   After a stage I go back to my cart,  wipe off both pistols and put them in the case.   when I'm ready to charge them, I find the driest place I can find and take one gun out, "charge it" and immediately put it back in the case,  take the second pistol out and repeat.  then i put the case inside the box of my cart.  when I'm ready to go to the loading table I take the case with me,  taking one gun out at time,  I cap the chambers as quick as possible and holster.  then I do the same thing with the other.   I don't use a nipple pick or a pipe cleaner too often when its raining or snowing because I'm always afraid a drop of water could run down the pick right into the nipple.   I am also not a huge fan of plastic bags,  The plastic bags always seam to have water droplets all over the out side just waiting to get into someplace I don't want them. I prefer a leather or cloth bag that will soak up and hold the water so its not dripping.  I kind of think of this like most aspects of Frontiersman,  gather as much information from experimentation and  others then  figure out what works the best for you.   Good Luck!

Chili

I shot Winter Range (Wind R Rain) one year in the rain with capguns.  I wore a slicker to keep the rain off my guns while doing posse duties.  I built an enclosed guncart for the express purpose of being able to load in a dry area.  I capped holding the gun under the protection of my hat and slicker to keep the rain away as much as possible.  Maybe I was just lucky but I finished the match successfully with no FTFs.

I have 4 snail cappers with ~25 caps for a couple of stages and keep the other cappers in a Plano 3400 watertight box with desiccant packs.  Just one more things to keep dry.  I also try to limit how long I keep the capper in my pocket or brass bag.

I shot a Indiana State there one year that an ark went floating by.  I use a pair of Navies and have shot a lot in the rain over the years.  One year shoting there there was 2" of rain over 5 stages.  I carry my guns in U.S Issue Civil War Holster and  caps in a Indian Wars Modified Cap Pouch made by  Carrico's Leather Works.  The leather keeps both guns and caps dry.   If it is raining I place my hat over gun to load,  you do get stains inside the hat.  I use a felt lubed wad between the powder and ball. Have not had a snap from wet powder yet.

I had the pleasure of shooting the 1st wave on day 3. I took my guns back to the hotel the night before and they were nice and dry, I found a place to charge the pistols under an umbrella or tent each stage. Also covered the pistols even though they were already  under my rain coat when going to the loading table. Once they were charged I used those nice cases we had gotten to keep them dry. Long story short 12 stages and no failure to fire. Shot  clean match except for that one pesky P

Archived