SASS Wire Forum

Monthly Match Stage Confidentiality

Dusty Devil Dale

Whenever Creeker writes something — I read it.  He has the best insight into our game and the things that will improve it.

A couple of years ago, I was reading The Wire because I couldn’t sleep.  I came across the stages online for a shoot called “Eldorado”.  I read the stages — they intrigued me.  So I looked up where Eldorado was, and when.  To my surprise, it wasn’t until October!  Our own state shoot doesn’t put up the stages until a week in advance.  These were up months in advance.  I showed the stages to my wife (the next day) and she was excited.  So we decided to make the trip from Michigan to Nevada.  So by Creeker’s decision to post the stages he was able to coax 3 out-of-state shooters to make the long, long trip to Nevada.  We were lucky enough to shoot on a posse with Creeker, his wonderful family and many shooters from other states.  The Texas shooters were so kind, that we decided to shoot the Texas State Shoot the following year — just to get to shoot with them again.  

I don’t post much, but when CREEKER WRITES OR SPEAKS, everyone should read/listen!  He is the most knowledgeable/forward-thinking person in support of our sport.  Everyone can learn how to grow/prosper our sport from a man that truly embodies what we used to call THE COWBOY WAY.  In my opinion, the SASS organization should have a man like him on their Board.

58 minutes ago, Nevada Gambler, SASS #10225 said:

Whenever Creeker writes something — I read it.  He has the best insight into our game and the things that will improve it.

A couple of years ago, I was reading The Wire because I couldn’t sleep.  I came across the stages online for a shoot called “Eldorado”.  I read the stages — they intrigued me.  So I looked up where Eldorado was, and when.  To my surprise, it wasn’t until October!  Our own state shoot doesn’t put up the stages until a week in advance.  These were up months in advance.  I showed the stages to my wife (the next day) and she was excited.  So we decided to make the trip from Michigan to Nevada.  So by Creeker’s decision to post the stages he was able to coax 3 out-of-state shooters to make the long, long trip to Nevada.  We were lucky enough to shoot on a posse with Creeker, his wonderful family and many shooters from other states.  The Texas shooters were so kind, that we decided to shoot the Texas State Shoot the following year — just to get to shoot with them again.  

I don’t post much, but when CREEKER WRITES OR SPEAKS, everyone should read/listen!  He is the most knowledgeable/forward-thinking person in support of our sport.  Everyone can learn how to grow/prosper our sport from a man that truly embodies what we used to call THE COWBOY WAY.  In my opinion, the SASS organization should have a man like him on their Board.

I could not ask for a higher compliment than the above.  Thank you.

There are lots of folks in cowboy smarter than me. 

But I am passionate about our game and try to base everything on the precept, "Does this improve the game?"

I'm not always right - but I am unwilling to float downstream passively and hope our betterment, our growth or our advances magically appear from some one else's efforts. 

I will tell you that I don’t think there are any ones smarter.  Certainly no one that embodies what I said before.   You embody what I first found in CAS help everyone shoot, no matter there level or ability, have fun, and just shoot.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

With all due respect - IF is the largest word in the English language.

So IF you or your club don't WANT to post stages ahead of time; because its stupid or time wasting or unnecessary or unwanted - then say so.

It is your club and your decision - You don't even have to defend your choice.

But to imply the actual act of posting stages online (about 5 minutes 1 time a month) is too challenging without an influx of members and new shooters.

And the only way that influx is going to happen is IF SASS gets those new members and shooters for you?

I'm sorry - it doesn't fly.

You've never seen me attempt to navigate a computer. I've have no clue how to down load, upload, or otherwise.

What seems easy to you is very difficult for some of us that never had the opportunity to learn all the IT skills that come so easy to younger people than myself. I'm good at writing stages, building things, welding, and figuring out problematic things. What you think is a simple task is not simple for myself

I've dabbled with computers and it's very confusing, I pretty much despise anything to do with them due to my ignorance. Younger people tend to be better at technology because they were raised with computers. " If" my club had some younger shooters I could turn those tasks over to them and I'm sure they would zip thru the computer stuff as quickly as I could weld up a target.

SASS needs to fulfill their obligation of marketing and get us some new shooters. 

im not a top shooter ever - maybe a bottom one but seldom , but that makes no difference - i shoot what i see , i seldom overthink it beforehand and i enjoy it more that way , im not opposed to early posting but wont take advantage , the stage seldom looks like the drawing really - OK maybe a little but terrain and backdrop , etc all play into the actuality of any given layout , 

On 7/1/2021 at 8:14 PM, Assassin said:

You've never seen me attempt to navigate a computer. I've have no clue how to down load, upload, or otherwise.

What seems easy to you is very difficult for some of us that never had the opportunity to learn all the IT skills that come so easy to younger people than myself. I'm good at writing stages, building things, welding, and figuring out problematic things. What you think is a simple task is not simple for myself

I've dabbled with computers and it's very confusing, I pretty much despise anything to do with them due to my ignorance. Younger people tend to be better at technology because they were raised with computers. " If" my club had some younger shooters I could turn those tasks over to them and I'm sure they would zip thru the computer stuff as quickly as I could weld up a target.

SASS needs to fulfill their obligation of marketing and get us some new shooters. 

I'm rather on the other side of the fence.  I grew up with them and have worked in the industry my entire life.  But at heart, I'd rather have very little to do with them.  When I retire, I'm planning to go back to a landline and not even have a cell phone.  Internet for normal use.  No more writing code.  No more maintaining websites.  I'll be glad to be done with it.  I'd like a return to a less "electronic" age, but since that won't happen, I can do what I can with my own situation.

Archived