SASS Wire Forum

Charles Daly 500 SxS, improving the action

Johnny Knight

Hi all,

Just getting started with SASS and trying to tune up the equipment a bit.  For shotgun, I've picked up a Charles Daly 500 model SxS, Miroku manufacture, 12 Ga..  The action opens just enough to clear the shells most of the time, so I am hoping to open it up a bit more for easier clearing of shells.  It appears the hammer springs are very stiff and are keeping the action from staying as open as the lugs allow.  I am hoping that someone more familiar with the gun might have a parts diagram they would be willing to share.  Any other suggestions for improving the action would also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

1 hour ago, Johnny Knight said:

Hi all,

Just getting started with SASS and trying to tune up the equipment a bit.  For shotgun, I've picked up a Charles Daly 500 model SxS, Miroku manufacture, 12 Ga..  The action opens just enough to clear the shells most of the time, so I am hoping to open it up a bit more for easier clearing of shells.  It appears the hammer springs are very stiff and are keeping the action from staying as open as the lugs allow.  I am hoping that someone more familiar with the gun might have a parts diagram they would be willing to share.  Any other suggestions for improving the action would also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

I've been shooting one for years. Great gun. Johnny Meadows did the action work on mine. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but when I've tried using Google, as well as a couple of other search engines, I don't end up with a diagram, just links claiming one.. A couple links wanted me to download some add on first, thanks, but no thanks......  So, still searching for a clean parts diagram, or better yet a cleaning and disassembly manual.   Since this is my only CAS shotgun, I'd rather not ship it off to somebody and not be able to shoot matches while it is away.

I've been busy getting started, having just picked up two rifles, a pair of vaqueros and the shotgun in the last month or so.  So haven't gotten around to backups just yet.  I could borrow a shotgun, which is what I did for my first match last month, but I'm trying to get my own guns in order so that I can practice with the weapons I'll be using.

While I don't think spare parts are available, other than firing pins from Shotgun Boogie, I would be cautious about DIY work.  That being said, maybe try contacting Doc Noper for some guidance.  He did the work on the Charles Daly I got via Duece Stevens a few years back.   

docnoper at gmail dot com.

(he also does some very highly regarded leather work if you need anything)

Thanks Cemetery.  Trying to be methodical here, hence the request for schematics.  I've been fabricating and doing metal work for decades, so not entirely new to this.  From what I'm gathering, the good gunsmiths have plenty of work lined up, with the corresponding wait times.  Plus, I'm wanting to get more familiar with my guns anyways.  I'll reach out to him to get his recommendations.

Thanks Gunner, it was a pleasure getting to meet you as well.  I've  been impressed with the hospitality and helpfulness of everyone I've met so far.  Hopefully we'll meet up at a match sometime soon.

Hey Johnny! Was indeed a pleasure to have made your acquaintance at EOT and share the “waddie” responsibilities. Sorry I didn’t get to share a parting moment before you had to leave. 
I agree with Cemetery on Doc Noper’s assistance. I know of another shooter that had his 500 slicked up by Doc and is very happy with the job done. Hope you get it “race ready” and our paths meet again sometime. 
Lightning Bill Carson. 

Hi Lightning Bill!  It was great meeting you at EOT, many hands make light work as they say.  I had a chance to chat with Doc Noper today, very nice conversation.  He gave me some pointers on working on the gun, as well as confirming the general unavailability of parts for the gun.  Doesn't sound like he is working on them as much now with the lack of ready parts.  Fortunately, the most likely thing I'll need to work on is the main spring, which is one of the parts that is available.  Now I'll just need to clear the time to work on it.  Also, ordered up the Gun Digest book on shotgun disassembly/assembly to provide more background familiarization.  So cautiously optimistic I should be able to improve the action on it.  I do find it curious that even Doc hasn't managed to track down a parts diagram for the gun, so I'll keep looking for that to add  to the library.  If/when I track one down, I'll be sure to post it to this thread.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

On 7/1/2021 at 5:04 AM, Cemetery said:

While I don't think spare parts are available, other than firing pins from Shotgun Boogie, I would be cautious about DIY work.  That being said, maybe try contacting Doc Noper for some guidance.  He did the work on the Charles Daly I got via Duece Stevens a few years back.   

docnoper at gmail dot com.

(he also does some very highly regarded leather work if you need anything)

I got one from Deuce, also.  Also worked by Doc Noper.
Did you return yours, or did he have two?
I remember him saying something about holding it for his kids, but he had two house payments going on...
I am thrilled with mine...

10 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I got one from Deuce, also.  Also worked by Doc Noper.
Did you return yours, or did he have two?
I remember him saying something about holding it for his kids, but he had two house payments going on...
I am thrilled with mine...

Johnny got it from me

I'm quite happy with the gun I got from John, just wanting to improve the action a bit.  I've already shortened it from the original 28" barrel down to about 21" (due to where the rib vents ended) and have installed a replacement bead (not that I use it much).  But, with shortening the barrel, it has just created a little more 'spring back' so the shells don't clear as easily.  Should be an entirely addressable issue, just proceeding methodically as I educate myself on shotguns.

I mostly stayed busy doing waddie duties when I wasn't pestering Lassiter and Boaz with questions about my lightning rifle.  Hopefully we'll meet up at a match before too long :)

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's the latest update on what I've learned so far as I indulge in a little home school gun smithing.  It seems the action is similar to the BSS shown above with a couple of notable differences.  First, there are no separate firing pins, rather the firing pin is incorporated into the hammer (part no. 32 above).  Second, obviously the trigger group is different, since there are two triggers, but the firing action appears to be similar in that the locking up action is still occurring between the back edge of the hammer (no 32) and the front edge of the sears (parts no 45/47).  It seems the issue with my gun is that the sears are just a hair short, or the notch cut into the back of the hammer is just a hair to deep (only talking a couple thousandths).  The result is that because the hammer is not held back as far, it is allowing the main spring tension to push the barrel back closed just a touch as shown in photo 1.  I reached that conclusion after putting in a small spacer that effectively lengthened parts no 45/47.  With that spacer inserted, the breech remained fully open and the hulls would extract cleanly.  So, so now I'm left figuring out the best way to effectively lengthen the sear or adjust the hammer notch.  If I could track down spare parts I would just experiment on the extra parts, but to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any spare parts to be had, at least as far as the hammers and sears go.  I am assuming both the hammer and the sear are some sort of higher carbon steel, so trying to proceed cautiously as I figure all this stuff out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Daly hull interference.jpg

Daly locking action1.jpg

Daly action improvement with spacers.jpg

Daly spacer action.jpg

Archived