SASS Wire Forum

And you thought the Edsel was bad!

In the handicapped adaptive market, we began working with electronic joy sticks and the like nearly thirty years ago!!  I was involved in the the construction and refinement of a van that included many features that weren’t even available in the video game market at the time!! It was delivered to a pair of quadriplegic twins and was successfully integrated into their transportation fleet!

Today, with electric power steering and electric assisted power brakes, these features are even more readily available for those that need them!!

edit: the Edsel was actually a pretty good car. It wasn’t pretty, but the concept of an economically priced full sized automobile was years ahead of its time!! (It was really just a low priced Ford)

I though you were gonna talk about the Yugo!

30 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Blackwater 53393 Do the OEMs help the adaptive conversion companies or do the companies still have to reverse engineer the software? 

I’ve been out of the industry for several years. I went to work for a major entertainment transportation company the summer of ‘95.  Mark Watson, my former employer and current band mate, stayed in adaptive services until a couple of years ago.  From what I have heard from him, a few things HAVE improved, but for the most part, auto manufacturers have left adaptations to the aftermarket.

One of the biggest roadblocks to mainstreaming handicap adaptive accommodation is that most people with handicaps have greatly varied but very specific needs!  There are so many levels of disability and ability that what works great for one individual will fall short for another.

We often spent hours making fine adjustments to, and often extensive modifications to even the simplest equipment. 

There are also many layers of both government and insurance industry regulations and numerous inspectors involved.

It’s almost as big as the custom/hotrod/racing aftermarket!

Archived