SASS Wire Forum

Hornady One Shot case lube?

Shooting Bull

I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the world of lubed cases.  I wet tumble with a car wash/wax mix that does leave some wax lubricant on the case walls but I feel more would be better in this case.  I've heard good things about Hornady One Shot.  What are some of the most effective (easiest) ways to apply it effectively?  Also, do you have other suggestions beside One Shot?  If so, how do you use them?

Thanks

I use it.  I have a plastic tub like thing that will hold just enough for a decent load for the case feeder on my dillon.  I lay all the cases down in a single layer and give them a spritz, then shake the tub around.  I do this after I just dumped the last batch into the case feeder so they have a little time for any excess lube to evaporate or whatever.

Make sure you shake it up well, and after spraying give it a few minutes to dry. When I was using it I would just set up a few loading blocks of brass at a time and spray them all. 3 light coats each from a different direction. Now I just use about 2 ounces of lanolin in a large bottle of 90% isopropyl and put the brass in a gallon ziploc bag give a few sprays and roll the bag around. 

I have been using One Shot for years.  Especially after some new Starline brass got stuck in a carbide die and ripped the rim off.  One Shot really helps with all dies including carbide dies especially on new large caliber brass like .45 Colt.  After I run a batch of brass through the tumbler and media separator I dump several hundred rounds into a plastic container.  This one is one of the generic Costco models that come in a five pack.  It is about 11" x 16".  Brass does not need to be in a single layer as the lube will migrate and transfer itself to the die.  Give the brass about a one to two second spritz.  Then shake the box from side-to-side two or three times.  This will make about half of the case mouths face UP.  (Second photo.)  Give the brass another one or two second spritz.  This will coat some of the case mouths.  Shake the box and let it set about five minutes.  Dump it into the case feeder and you are ready to go.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

I use the strainer that I separate media from brass. Put in a bunch of brass (about 600) give it a 2 or 3 second spritz, shake it up and put a handful or two of brass into the case feeder. about every eight or nine handfuls repeat until out of brass. With carbide dies you don’t need every case lubed just enough to keep things smooth. 
regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have been using One Shot for years.  Especially after some new Starline brass got stuck in a carbide die and ripped the rim off.  One Shot really helps with all dies including carbide dies especially on new large caliber brass like .45 Colt.  After I run a batch of brass through the tumbler and media separator I dump several hundred rounds into a plastic container.  This one is one of the generic Costco models that come in a five pack.  It is about 11" x 16".  Brass does not need to be in a single layer as the lube will migrate and transfer itself to the die.  Give the brass about a one to two second spritz.  Then shake the box from side-to-side two or three times.  This will make about half of the case mouths face UP.  (Second photo.)  Give the brass another one or two second spritz.  This will coat some of the case mouths.  Shake the box and let it set about five minutes.  Dump it into the case feeder and you are ready to go.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

This was the rough plan I had come up with. Thanks for validating it.

I usually tumble and separate my cases when I get home from a match. After they're separated from the media, I lay them out on a towel, give them a spray of One-shot and then shake them back and forth in the towel. I give them another quick spray and shake again, wait ten minutes, load them into a plastic bullet box to make sure I didn't get an odd shell and they're ready to go into the case feeder.

31 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the world of lubed cases.  I wet tumble with a car wash/wax mix that does leave some wax lubricant on the case walls but I feel more would be better in this case.  I've heard good things about Hornady One Shot.  What are some of the most effective (easiest) ways to apply it effectively?  Also, do you have other suggestions beside One Shot?  If so, how do you use them?

Thanks

You do understand that this lubricant is for resizing the case only? And that it should be removed PRIOR to reloading.

2 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

You do understand that this lubricant is for resizing the case only? And that it should be removed PRIOR to reloading.

No, I did NOT know that. Hmmmmm, off to formulate Plan B. :(

That's baloney.  One shot dries dry.  It does not have to be removed.  If you spray on a super heavy coat for sizing rifle cases in a steel die it is recommended you wipe off any excess.  For cowboy loads there is no excess as you use One Shot sparingly.

DSC_0003.jpeg

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's baloney.  One shot dries dry.  It does not have to be removed.

I was typing this as you replied. With traditional case lubes, yes, it's true. It's not needed with One-Shot.

I love One Shot! I spread the cases over an old sheet and spray, lets say north to south.

Wait about 15 minutes, depending on heat and humidity, and spray east to west.

They glide through the dies.

I even sprayed it on a sticky window sash and it works great.

I put a bunch of cases in a 1 gal zip lock back. Spray in some One Shot. Work the bag around a bit and then dump them into the hopper of my 650. It just doesn't need to be all over the case... or even on all of the cases. It will do the job just fine. Give em a couple minutes before you start cranking um out. Makes a huge difference.

Great product!!

It's also a great shotshell lube.  After loading, and the night before a match, I re-crimp all of the rounds, lay them out in a tray and lightly spray them.  At the match,  after every third stage, I clean the chambers and forcing cones of my Dbl with a tornado brush, then push a cleaning patch from each chamber on  out through the muzzel, using the tornado brush like a "barb".   (The handle of my cleaning rod will pass on through the barrel, avoiding pulling the dirty tornado brush back through)

Then each chamber gets a 1/2 sec spray of One Shot Case Lube.  

I dont recall ever having a stuck case using that method.   One shot is a great product, IMO. 

Some research suggests you can make similar product by mixing 91% alcohol 50/50 with liquid lanolin. As an alternative use Red Heet, gas line anti-freeze. Use a chemical resistant spray bottle (Farm Supply Store). Shake well before use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LANOLIN-OIL-USP-GRADE-PHARMACEUTICAL-SKIN-HAIR-LIPS-MOISTURIZING-100-PURE-4-OZ/663275231?athcpid=663275231&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=bd53bb2e-007-17a50e89ba257e&athancid=null&athena=true

I use One Shot on pistol cases quiet often even though I use carbide dies.  Just a quick spritz of One Shot makes the resize operation a lot smoother and easy.  No, I do not remove it before loading or shooting.

Blackfoot

I use it on all my pistol brass. You have to be sure to shake the can well each and every time you use it.  If you don't the contents separate and all the lube gets used up before the can is empty.

With pistol brass and carbide dies this is not too much of a problem. With straight wall rifle brass you can end up with a case stuck in your die. BTDT so now I only use it on pistol brass.

I have used it on 44 WCF. Because the dies are not carbide, I take extra care to ensure every case gets some lube in it. I do this by spreading them out flat on a cookie sheet. Then I spray all the cases with an even coat and allow them to dry while I fill my primer tubes. The load like any other case. I do however, I pay close attention to the force needed to push cases into the die and if it even starts to get stiff I put a little Imperial Sizing Die Wax on the next case.

IMHO OneShot is not sufficient lube for bottle neck rifle brass. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax on all my bottle neck and straight wall rifle brass

I tried it a number of years back. Didn't work for me, and I still got brass stuck in the dies. Now that being said I was loading 30 Carbine at the time, which is a challanging tapered cartridge to resize anyway. I went back to RCBS case lube and a pad, and just did the extra wipe off after reloading. It probably would be fine for most straight walled cowboy rounds, but personally I don't trust it on tapered or bottleneck cartridges.

I spritz the contents of the case feeder and let the action mix it up. It will cycle longer if the tube is relatively empty. I repeat after adding more cases.

2 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I tried it a number of years back. Didn't work for me, and I still got brass stuck in the dies. Now that being said I was loading 30 Carbine at the time, which is a challanging tapered cartridge to resize anyway. I went back to RCBS case lube and a pad, and just did the extra wipe off after reloading. It probably would be fine for most straight walled cowboy rounds, but personally I don't trust it on tapered or bottleneck cartridges.

I just finished a session of loading .30 carbine last night. It worked great for me.

4 hours ago, Go West said:

I spritz the contents of the case feeder and let the action mix it up. It will cycle longer if the tube is relatively empty. I repeat after adding more cases.

I did that some time ago.  The buildup in the case feeder tray became impossible to remove and I ended up replacing the tray, which was not a warranty thing.  

Archived