SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on EOT and future EOTs.

Captain Bill Burt

7 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Those hold ups were due to the need for medical assistance for a few shooters, not due to logistics FYI.

Not speaking of the medical emergency. I believe we are all aware of that situation.

Prayers the competitor is feeling much better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

You have to be kidding.  What a mess.  Just one big crowd with no guidance.

Usually the venue will have folks who release the tables a few at a time so the participants go through the food lines in an orderly fashion.

I personally left and went to a restaurant.

Hmm.
Tables were released a handful at a time.. I drew table numbers out of a jar. In fact, the caterer came and told me I could release them faster. Within 20 minutes, 612 people were back at their tables enjoying their dinner- and the caterer was offering seconds. 
Shame you left- the food was delicious and plentiful. 

Misty Moonshine

Not sure what banquet they were attending. That was the fastest and smoothest I have ever seen a group that size get fed. I even complimented the caterers on a fantastic job. 

I want to say this again.  The match was great.  All four of the Burt's had a great time and are grateful for all the hard work the PPR and SASS put into making this such a fun match. 

This is NOT a thread for bashing SASS, or EOT.  This thread is exclusively for discussing the pros and cons of rotating the World and National matches.  

If you have something negative to say about the 2021 EOT, I have two suggestions. 

1. Post it elsewhere.

2. Check your 'ticket' you must have been at a different match cause this one was as close to perfect as you're ever going to see.

23 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

You have to be kidding.  What a mess.  Just one big crowd with no guidance.

Usually the venue will have folks who release the tables a few at a time so the participants go through the food lines in an orderly fashion.

I personally left and went to a restaurant.

I guess you thought you were Moses and the crowd was the Red Sea?!?

We stood in line for all of 2 minutes and were back at our table in less than 5.  Good thing you went to a restaurant because no one wanted to hear any needless complaining anyway.  We were all too busy having a whole helluva a lot of fun.  You should try it sometime.  

I was referring to Tuesday Evenings' Fiasco.

Shooting in the 3rd Wave on Friday, I didn't get back to my room until 6:11, thus I did not have time to get back to the banquet.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:27 PM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I think that, until SASS gets a few of their other ducks in a row, they are best served by getting EOT (World) and Land Run (National) matches up and running at their new venues and concentrate on helping the Regional Match directors get their matches back to full attendance.  SASS has a lot on it's plate at the moment and adding another set of tasks to that already full plate is probably a recipe for disaster.

Keep what is working working, fix what needs to be fixed, get the marketing back on track, and get theiir own house in order.  When all of that is done, then, if it still makes sense, think about expanding.

My understanding is the idea with Ben Avery and Land Run/OKC running EOT and Nationals is that it frees up SASS from having to do it. Let clubs run matches and let Misty, Ruby, and their team focus on running/growing SASS. 

As we all know planning matches is a large time sink, so this should be a boon for many aspects of our organization/sport.

5 minutes ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

My understanding is the idea with Ben Avery and Land Run/OKC running EOT and Nationals is that it frees up SASS from having to do it. Let clubs run matches and let Misty, Ruby, and their team focus on running/growing SASS. 

As we all know planning matches is a large time sink, so this should be a boon for many aspects of our organization/sport.

There are without a doubt pluses and minuses to having others run the matches.  While it does relieve the burden on SASS of running the match, it reduces the potential revenue that hosting a large match can generate, but it does eliminate the risks associated with having a match cancelled for unanticipated events like Covid did in 2020.

Back in the day, large, well attended, matches were able to generate significant revenues for clubs that had the ability to host them.  Everything from State, to Regional, to National, to World championship matches sold out quickly and completely.  Even most Club Annual matches sold out within a few months of announcement.  Today, however, the proves to be the exception more often than the rule.

As with many things, volume is everything, and SASS Championship matches are no different.  There is a SIGNIFICANT cost associated with awards, supplying tents where necessary, food, equipment, etc and at each match there is a minimum number of shooters required to hit their respective break even point.  Once that point is crossed, then each additional shooter basically pays for their consumables (food, shooters badge, door prizes, SASS Sanction Fee, etc) and the rest goes to support the club.  If you don't get above that number, you quickly lose money as many of the expenses need to be committed to well in advance of match day.  In addition, as many SASS clubs exist as part of a larger shooting venue, if your SASS club loses money too often, then you lose the support of the host organization.  Then, when you ask for permission to shut down the rest of the venue for 4 or 6 or 8 days to host a large SASS match, it is often not met with a favorable response.

As I see it, SASS is in a transition period and there will undoubtedly be changes to the way they operate in the future as they adjust to the changes that have been, and are continuing to be, made.  I suspect that at the end of the day, having SASS move away from Hosting matches and having them focus on Marketing and Sponsoring matches will benefit the clubs that do host those matches, and hopefully SASS as well.  Time will tell, but I am certainly hoping for good things in the future.

In the mean time, I will do my personal best to attend as many larger matches as time and funds allow, and I will get my match applications as soon as humanly possible!

29 minutes ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

Really???

I think the majority of people don't give a big rip about the time and effort it takes to run a large match. They just wanna come and shoot...leave the details to the Workers and not the Shooters.

Now this is a general comment: Someone has a "Negative" about a match and he/she gets attacked! THIS happens...it's like "How DARE you say something negative!!!"

As someone that is involved in some decent sized matches, PLEASE give me your negative comments...ALL OF THEM! Can't make a shoot better without knowing these things and I am not offended by someone recognizing that I'm not perfect.

Too many times comments are kinda like the "Emperor has no clothes" syndrome.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Fox Creek Stitcher...so glad to have met you, sister! We will have that jam session someday!!!

You too, my new dear friend! I will be looking forward to it!!!

Archived