SASS Wire Forum

Mistakes

Highwall

Back in the early 70's I bought a  H&R top break 9 shot .22 LR revolver only because of the affordable low price (around $80) at the time.} Truth is I really

liked it and it was very accurate with CCI loads but because of popularity I traded it in for a Ruger Single Action SS with a .22 Mag cylinder.

Sadly even though it looked much better it never preformed as good as the ole top break. 

sportsman.jpg

Long wanted just that very pistol,  alas, never ran across one!

We've all parted with something we regret, you're not alone!

my dad bought one of those when he and Mom retired and started traveling around the country.  When he died my brother-in-law got the gun.  He deserved it.

The only other handgun my dad even owned (as far as I know) was a pre-Woodsman Colt that he wore out by the time I was  ready for a pistol.

Mistakes?

I've made a few.

But then again, too many to mention,

There are a couple of guns that I truly regret them getting away. 

1. My Dad’s S&W K-22 with a 8 3/8” barrel. My Mom thought I meant the High Standard Sentinal when she asked me what gun I wanted of Dad’s when he died.:(

2. My Colt Combat Gov’t

3. My first Glock 34

18 hours ago, Highwall said:

... H&R top break 9 shot .22 LR revolver... 

sportsman.jpg

I think I regret the loss of every gun I ever sold.  ('Cept for that HighPoint carbine, purchased during a major brain cramp as a "cheap-to-shoot truck gun".)

Dad and the uncles used to argue over who was owner of an H&R "Sportsman" .22, with all other family members being mere borrowers of said revolver. Fortunately, dad was owner by right of possesion. 

Most accurate pistol I own. No S&W or Ruger beats it as a grouse gun during Washington deer season.  The little half-moon shaped extractor-actuator was wore out when I got it, and I have shot it so much that I installed a second replacement. Parts available, and it still locks tight as a drum.

My version was built prior to the H&R Model 999, or "999 Sportsman". It is stamped only "Sportsman".  Came with plastic grips, and case hardened trigger, barrel latch, and hammer.  (IIRC, adjustable height front sight.)

I assume mine was the first version, one not mentioned in the following NRA article.

This Old Gun

Back in the 1974, I bought an H & R top break .22, model 926, blue finish, 9 shot, double-action, top-break, 4 in. barrel.

This model as windage adjustment on the back sight, and elevation adjustment on the front sight. 

I saw an article in a gun magazine, about the revolver, and I had to have one...so I had the local-yokel gun shop order one. 

Still have it, would not part with it. I see one for sale, once in a blue moon, on some of the gun sites on-line.

I paid less than $100.00 for it, if memory serves.

I even kept the box it came in. 

Not often, but...every once-in-a-while, I do the right thing.

I really regret selling my Armi Spencer carbine, in .44 wcf, my model 19-2 S & W, and my S & W model 39-2, and most of all, my pre-64 model 94 Winchester 30 wcf.  

Mistakes are always saddled with regret...for me, anyway.

The ridiculous feeding frenzy, on the gun sites, right now, prevents me from buying replacements to the ones I, stupidly, sold. 

I've never seen anything like the prices that things are going for. In today's feeding frenzy, I would never be able to afford what I have now.

My first Colt single action revolver, new in the "stagecoach box", cost me $235.00 in 1973. Now even the late 3rd generation new ones are scaring $2,500.

This hobby has become too expense for me. 

Don't get me started on primer costs! :wacko:

W.K.

The only firearm I regret having sold was a Russian SKS.  New, in Cosmoline (or whatever the Russians use as such) when I bought it.  One of the rifles in the same case still had a factory headspace gauge in the chamber.  Sold it for Christmas money one year.

Actually, this is the only firearm I ever HAVE sold. ^_^ 

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The only firearm I regret having sold was a Russian SKS.  New, in Cosmoline (or whatever the Russians uses as such) when I bought it.  One of the rifles in the same case still had a factory headspace gauge in the chamber.  Sold it for Christmas money one year.

Actually, this is the only firearm I ever HAVE sold. ^_^ 

I sold mine last year $300  and paid $79 for it in the 90s .. a few months ago I found ammo for it from the 90s tooo my local FFL  paid Good $$$ with smile on his face 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:49 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

............ yeah, ... I thought I made a mistake once ......

........ turns out I was wrong ..........   :blush:

Your not one of them two that got lost????

Texas Lizard

On 6/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, Highwall said:

Back in the early 70's I bought a  H&R top break 9 shot .22 LR revolver only because of the affordable low price (around $80) at the time.} Truth is I really

liked it and it was very accurate with CCI loads but because of popularity I traded it in for a Ruger Single Action SS with a .22 Mag cylinder.

Sadly even though it looked much better it never preformed as good as the ole top break. 

sportsman.jpg

I I bought or traded for (forget which , doesn't matter) one of those H&Rs back about 1993 or so , kept it a few years ,finally swapped it for something else.It was unfortunately one of the most inaccurate firearms I have ever owned. Tried several different .22 loads trying to fine one that would at least group in the same area code , no luck. Oh well , they can't all be winners.:ph34r:

Rex :D

On 6/27/2021 at 2:49 AM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

............ yeah, ... I thought I made a mistake once ......

........ turns out I was wrong ..........   :blush:

I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was only mistaken.

Archived