SASS Wire Forum

Smith who can install Screw in chokes?

Jeb Stuart #65654

I have a Winchester M12 that has a cut barrel, I would like to get screw in chokes installed.  Anyone know of a smith that does this work.

Thanks in advance.

Much will depend on if there is enough steel to cut the threads and safely contain the pressure.

6 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Much will depend on if there is enough steel to cut the threads and safely contain the pressure.

5 minutes ago, two dot said:

Most, if not all of the standard barrels are too thin for screw in chokes. The only ones I’ve seen are in the 3 inch guns.

Two Dot

Thanks, guess I'll just use my 97 if I need a tight choke.

4 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Thanks, guess I'll just use my 97 if I need a tight choke.

You will have to have a gunsmith check it to see if there is enough metal there to use.

It can be done this guy can do it. It will have to be a "thin wall" choke tube. Give him a call. I've had 3 put in my 97s and the barrel wall thickness is similar.   https://www.americhoke.com/

I'd call Lonnie at Run-n-Irons in Nebraska.  He can probably tell you how to measure to see if there is enough metal in the barrel to put in thin-wall chokes.  It's not a hard measurement to make.

http://www.runniron.com/index_cowboy.html

The Holy Grail kind of place to have the work done, if you want to go directly to the horse's mouth for choke tube work, would be Jess Briley Guns in Houston, TX.  They MAKE fantastic choke tubes, including their own design of thin-wall chokes.  They are fine people, too.

https://www.briley.com

It's also possible to have an adapter silver-soldered to the end of the barrel, one that takes choke tubes.   Not a compensator, just an unvented adapter (coupling)..

Both sources above could tell you more about that approach, too.

good luck, GJ

I have screw in chokes in my 97's

They were,done by 

Black Canyon Gunsmithing

In Montrose Colorado 

Keith did,an exellent job

On 6/26/2021 at 5:53 PM, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

It can be done this guy can do it. It will have to be a "thin wall" choke tube. Give him a call. I've had 3 put in my 97s and the barrel wall thickness is similar.   https://www.americhoke.com/

I’ve had him do the same work for me. If it can be done Bob can do it. Somewhere on that site he gives minimum barrel dimensions for the various gauges. 

On 6/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I have a Winchester M12 that has a cut barrel, I would like to get screw in chokes installed.  Anyone know of a smith that does this work.

Thanks in advance.

First, it will depend on how much metal is left at the muzzle.  You didn't say what length the barrel was cut to, but for the purposes of discussion, let's say 20".  There should be enough metal for chokes.

Second, I will also recommend Briley.  I just got a non SASS double back Briley and they do good work and their thin wall chokes will work in barrels that most other gunsmiths won't/can't install chokes in.  The shotgun I sent would have had less metal at the muzzle than your Model 12 before the barrel was cut.

Unless your wanting to use this shotgun for things other than SASS, I'd recommend passing on the screw chokes, as they really aren't needed for cowboy action shooting.  If your wanting to hunt, shoot clays, etc with the shortened barrel, then screw chokes may help and they do make thin wall versions that can be installed in your gun that should work.  However, I wouldn't expect original full choke performance with the screw in's and short barrel, because the original full choke barrel uses a much longer section of the barrel for the choke and the shorter barrel will also reduce overall velocity.  The screw chokes should help to tighten up your patterns, but don't really help in reaching out and touching something downrange with the shortened barrel.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

3 hours ago, Chantry said:

First, it will depend on how much metal is left at the muzzle.  You didn't say what length the barrel was cut to, but for the purposes of discussion, let's say 20".  There should be enough metal for chokes.

Second, I will also recommend Briley.  I just got a non SASS double back Briley and they do good work and their thin wall chokes will work in barrels that most other gunsmiths won't/can't install chokes in.  The shotgun I sent would have had less metal at the muzzle than your Model 12 before the barrel was cut.

Don't  know what length the barrel was originally, but it is now 24 1/2 inches

2 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

Unless your wanting to use this shotgun for things other than SASS, I'd recommend passing on the screw chokes, as they really aren't needed for cowboy action shooting.  If your wanting to hunt, shoot clays, etc with the shortened barrel, then screw chokes may help and they do make thin wall versions that can be installed in your gun that should work.  However, I wouldn't expect original full choke performance with the screw in's and short barrel, because the original full choke barrel uses a much longer section of the barrel for the choke and the shorter barrel will also reduce overall velocity.  The screw chokes should help to tighten up your patterns, but don't really help in reaching out and touching something downrange with the shortened barrel.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

Can't shoot a M12 for cowboy, I'll be using it for Wild Bunch.  I know that cylinder choke will normally work, but I have shot on some ranges that the shotgun targets were a little small and at a longer distance.  I figure the chokes will help a bit.  But as I have a 97 with chokes I don't think I'll spend the money to have them installed in the M12

Jeb, I bought a '97 from Catfish several years ago that he threaded for a screw-in choke with a reamer and guide from Brownells, and lemme tell ya, the barrel walls at the muzzle look thinner than a credit card now. I've always half expected the choke and a couple inches of barrel to go downrange with the shot someday, but it hasn't happened yet! :D

Archived