SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 66 lever spring screw removal

Moonshine 20515

Hello the fire !

I know this horse has been beat to death, but I can't find the discussion.

So, I am trying to remove the lever springs on subject rifle. One came out easy the other on will not budge. I have it soaking in Kroil, but no luck so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks you for your time,

MS

Those springs are normally "jammed" because the back of the spring is not fit to the frame causing it to "cock."  Your best bet is to drift the spring sideways out of the action to take the tension off.  

Before you re-install the springs, be sure to re-Shape the rear of the spring boss (both) to fit the arch of the frame. 

While the lever is out, get a hammer and punch, and tap on the end of the spring where the spring rides over the lever, (from left side of the gun towards the right side of the gun) so the the end of the spring drops into the slot where the lever passes through.  Should be able to break it loose then.

Only one spring is the lever spring,  the other is the lifter arm spring.    As mentioned, take off the side plates, then gently pry the tips of springs out away from the lever and lifter arm.   That may relieve pressure on the spring that is being a pain.  If that does not loosen up the "gorilla torqued" Uberti screw, the next step I use is to find a perfect fit Brownell's magnatip bit for the screw, and a hand impact wrench that fits the tip.

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=manual+impact+driver&qid=1624755838&sr=8-2

Kroil the head of the screw for a couple hours, then chuck the action into a solid, PADDED vise.  Set the impact driver tip into the screw slot and strike the end of impact driver firmly ONCE, while watching the bit.  With the driver set to LOOSEN direction (CCW).     The bit should rotate a few degrees, loosening the head of the screw which puts the pressure on the head to resist rotation with just a screwdriver.    Have not lost a single screw in Uberti guns by taking them out the first time with an impact driver like this.

good luck, GJ

After you get this all apart, PLEASE do yourself a favor and replace the flat leaf  lifter and lever springs with torsion bar, piano wire springs.   Like the Whisper springs made by the Smith Shop, and now by several gun parts suppliers.   These wire springs will be SO much kinder to the internal parts, and also will lighten and smooth the lever racking motion.

good luck, GJ

Thanks for the info.  Plan is to replace stock springs with Slix Springs.

Also have one of those impact drivers.  The screw I can't remove was buggered up by a previous owner. so this is part of the problem.

MS

A buggered screw may just have to be drilled out.  If you haven't done this yourself before and don't have a good drill press for stability and accuracy of the hole placement, it's time to find a gunsmith to go from here.     Not even an impact tool will work if the slot has been badly enough wallowed out.

good luck, GJ

This is what finally worked for me, allowing it to soak for a couple of days...Make sure you have replacement screws in the event you break one or two.  Place lube on both ends of the screws and keep adding as it soaks in.  You might also consider a good smith in the event they are too tight.  It will be $$ well spent.

Blaster 4 oz. Trial Size Aerosol PB Penetrating Catalyst

If the threaded tip of the buggered screw (inside of the action, not on the head end) has enough of a protrusion through the existing spring base, you may be able to find a "lump" to catch with the tip of a punch to get the screw to rotate to loosen it.  Even if you have to file off a little of the screw tip to give you a vertical surface to catch hold of with the punch.

Same kind of punch impact surface can exist on the head end of the screw, but if the "buggery" occurred while trying to loosen the screw head, the damage probably wiped off the metal surface where a punch would be able to bite into the head.

An EDM (electrical discharge machining) tool can peck away at the head of the screw until it disintegrates, but not every smith or machine shop has one in the back room.

good luck, GJ

SUCCESS!!!    

Now to install new Slix Springs, new screws and some other work and I should have a fine running 66.

Thanks again.

MS

1 hour ago, Moonshine 20515 said:

SUCCESS!!!    

OK, now you are just teasing us.  Let us know what worked to get that screw out on a Sunday....

good luck, GJ

Removed lever and that releaved pressure on spring. Screw was then loose and came out without a fight. 

Thanks much for all the help. 

MS

I am always amazed at the knowledge and expertise of our fellow shooters and their willingness to help out a pard.

Thank you all, as I am learning bunches just by reading.

Archived