SASS Wire Forum

Looking for input

Make do

Been asked to write the stages for the monthly match in July - Club is older (don't move well) it will be hot so we want the stages to go fast, we have only one bay (narrow) and don't really want to do much plate moving. These are a couple of stages I was thinking of. 

stages.pdf

Missing the "Bonus" does incur a miss...it's just a 3 second miss assuming that at least one person does hit the "Bonus".

Bonuses are horrible!

Make it a standard target and be done with it.

Loading two before the "Beep" eliminates a "Skill"...loading the shotgun. Why pre-load two??

Phantom

Bonus targets are not bonuses.

They are penalty targets for every one who misses once some one hits it.

The only thing bonus targets so is make keeping score harder by having to remember to subtract in stead of add numbers.

Scoring programs usually do not have the built in programing to handle minus targets.

When I wrote matches that used a single bay for more than one stage, I put more targets out there so I could choose targets for one stage not using all targets and then writing a stage to use the targets not used in the first stage along with some that were.

Shoot two stages without having to move a single target until the match is over.

You could actually shoot several stages by writing them using different order of targets and leave some targets as NO shoot targets.

I found I didn't like writing stages then having to place targets to fit the instructions.

I found if I placed the targets first then wrote the stage while standing and looking a the targets, the stage shooting would flow easier.

I had the advantage of setting targets the day before the match.

Going home and typing out the hand written instructions from the range.

Moving targets during the match to make a different scenario took too long and the shooters got to not like it.

I used Bonus targets is some matches.

But because I do not like Bonus targets to determine the out come of a match I make special bonus targets. My targets where 16" circles with a 3" hole in the middle.

I welded a steel plate on a hinge behind the hole.

The stage instruction would have this target in a pistol of rifle target sequence.

If you hit the target any where including the plate in the center you where scored a normal hit.

But those shooters who hit the swinging plate they got a mark on the score sheet showing the Bonus hit.

The Bonus hit did nothing to your score but after the match before the scores where read, you would get a raffle ticket for each Bonus hit.

If your club has a raffle after the shoot for what every, you got extra ticket(s) for that raffle for hitting the Bonus target.

One way to distinguish targets for multiple stages on one Bay (and avoid mid-match re- set up) is to use color.  But if you do, be aware of color blindness.  I recommend use of  black and white, and in particular, avoid red or green.  

To one in twelve American males (and 0.5% of females) red and sometimes also green look the same as dark grey.   Statistically, that's means  1+ male per posse cannot distinguish.  And there are intermediate levels of each kind of color blindness, so additional folks will be affected marginally.  Also, for older shooters with  advancing cataracts, all color vision often becomes attenuated.  So just be aware. 

Due to range circumstances external to our club, earlier this year, I had to squeeze 4 stages simultaneously into one Bay.  I used plate color, color pattern, plate shape, and left v. right of shooting position to differentiate.   It worked out OK and folks said they enjoyed the " mental" stages.  Amazingly, there were no 'Ps' on those stages, and stage times ran about normal.  But it took me a week, and half a dozen trips to the range to work out the stages.   Fortunately I live just 8 miles away. 

Best of luck with your project!

We had a bonus rifle target ONE time. Get 5 seconds removed from stage time on a hit. No penalty for a miss.  You could chose not to shoot it. The target was a maple leaf about the extreme size of a small diner plate set at 50 yards.  Oh the stress!  You'd think we were going to have to call in professional mental health expert to get the posse back to some comfort level.  But,  the first shooter shot it and hit.  Everyone on the the posse paused to watch.  Much congregations on the hit. 

Every shooter tried and every shooter hit the bonus.  Much rejoicing and bragging.   But, boy, they never wanted to do that again!

Just my personal preference, but I don't like to see shotgun targets clustered the way they are on your diagrams.  Space them out enough so that any blackpowder competitors can swing to the next target and get out of the smoke cloud to fire their next shot.  You don't have to hit every knockdown on each scenario.  You can shoot two or three of the four, shooter's choice, to allow some variety.

Color of the targets is a valid concern, especially if the targets are going to be in the shade, or if you are shooting into the sun.  There is a reason most states require hunters to wear orange; it's very visible under any light conditions.  Orange targets are wonderful and do not have to be repainted often.

I'm not a big fan of differing sweeps for Rifle and Pistols.

Especially in the hotter summer months - where our brain cells are cooking as fast as we can shoot.

The overwhelming thing I see with newer stage writers (and I am not making assumptions - just generalizing) is the urge to over complicate things.

Simpler is usually better.

I write a lot of stages and then go back to them after I have finished and ask myself. "What could I remove without harming the stage?"

This exercise gives me an opportunity to remove unneeded directions or extra tasks that may not add anything to the stage.

This doesn't mean stand and deliver and nothing but dumps to keep it "simple" - but that any action you place into a stage, you have to justify (to yourself) as having enough reason to exist that you will leave it in.

Here is an example from the Eldorado Cowboys match upcoming in August.

2021 August Eldorado.pdf

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I'm not a big fan of differing sweeps for Rifle and Pistols.

Especially in the hotter summer months - where our brain cells are cooking as fast as we can shoot.

The overwhelming thing I see with newer stage writers (and I am not making assumptions - just generalizing) is the urge to over complicate things.

Simpler is usually better.

I write a lot of stages and then go back to them after I have finished and ask myself. "What could I remove without harming the stage?"

This exercise gives me an opportunity to remove unneeded directions or extra tasks that may not add anything to the stage.

This doesn't mean stand and deliver and nothing but dumps to keep it "simple" - but that any action you place into a stage, you have to justify (to yourself) as having enough reason to exist that you will leave it in.

Here is an example from the Eldorado Cowboys match upcoming in August.

2021 August Eldorado.pdfUnavailable

Interesting........ Since the August stages have not been written let alone approved yet!

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Interesting........ Since the August stages have not been written let alone approved yet!

You may want to speak with your Vice President as he is the one that requested them. 

But I have no issue if you dont want them. 

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Like the average person here on the Wire care whether they are "Approved"...

Thanks for sharing Creeker!

Phantom

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Wow!

Lesson #1: How to chill interest in club member participation.   

(Stages look great, Creeker!). 

18 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Someone send me a copy of the file that I can open.

I sent the file to Quickly a few weeks ago.

I am sorry that he did not inform you that he requested me to write stages.

Since I don't wish to interfere with your system of stage writings and approvals - please disregard the stages.

I apologize to the WIRE for misrepresenting the stages as Eldorado approved. 

Archived