SASS Wire Forum

Geronimo Trail - Gila Rangers

Creeker, SASS #43022

Just printed out the applications and waivers. 

Booked our lodging.

And informed my beautiful girls; Painted Lady and Desert Scorpion that we are headed to Silver City New Mexico.

The Gila Rangers and the New Mexico State Championship - Geronimo Trail.

So tell me about the match

(do I need to find my sites?  Or can I leave them at home?) 

And what about the area - what should we see, do and visit while we are not shooting?

The range is up in the Mimbres River valley on a wooded ranch away from the everyday distractions of these modern times. 
The main match itself is not a long range event, but plenty of scenarios set a “normal”reasonable distances. There are some stages that have down range movement, plate racks, shooting out of a full size cabin, a stage coach, swinger targets, and of course that darned Wile Coyote runner that comes out of the gold mine.!

We will also have plenty of long range events, lollipop shoots, golf ball shoot launcher and grouse in the woods shotgun! 
Yes you do cross the Mimbres River to access the range, but currently it is dry. The River crossing is graded and maintained year round, and especially during GT. Most years it’s nothing more than a slight trickle, let’s hope it remains that.

ERS Canby is incorrect on his assessment of long range as it’s being moved to the Meadows up past the main range. Nice relatively flat shooting this year, unlike past decades!
The Cliff Dwellings are on schedule to be reopened , but fire season and Federal COVID restrictions may influence that.
 There are also the Faywood Hotsprings about 30-35 minutes away. We have plenty of free dry camping on a 1st come basis.

The stages are written by some World, National and State champs and being finalized this coming week.

The 2021 Match Director is …. Captain Clark:)

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

When is the State Match?

Phantom

September 10, 11, 12 

1 minute ago, Captain Clark said:

The range is up in the Mimbres River valley on a wooded ranch away from the everyday distractions of these modern times. 
The main match itself is not a long range event, but plenty of scenarios set a “normal”reasonable distances. There are some stages that have down range movement, plate racks, shooting out of a full size cabin, a stage coach, swinger targets, and of course that darned Wile Coyote runner that comes out of the gold mine.!

We will also have plenty of long range events, lollipop shoots, golf ball shoot launcher and grouse in the woods shotgun! 
Yes you do cross the Mimbres River to access the range, but currently it is dry. The River crossing is graded and maintained year round, and especially during GT. Most years it’s nothing more than a slight trickle, let’s hope it remains that.

ERS Canby is incorrect on his assessment of long range as it’s being moved to the Meadows up past the main range. Nice relatively flat shooting this year, unlike past decades!
The Cliff Dwellings are on schedule to be reopened , but fire season and Federal COVID restrictions may influence that.
 There are also the Faywood Hotsprings about 30-35 minutes away. We have plenty of free dry camping on a 1st come basis.

The stages are written by some World, National and State champs and being finalized this coming week.

September 10, 11, 12 

Sounds like fun...but dang it! That's the same time as our State match.

:(

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Sounds like fun...but dang it! That's the same time as our State match.

:(

It’s not fair for us both!:lol:

36 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I must have posted misinformation and am removing my post.

No worries my friend! Anybody that hasn’t been to Fowler City in the last couple years is going to be surprised at the replaced ranges and updates  to existing stages! Last year alone we built  a new saloon, the Alamo,and the railroad is finally making it into town! 
Take a look at the Gila Rangers FB page for some of the recent improvements. ;)

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

The main match itself is not a long range event, but plenty of scenarios set a “normal”reasonable distances.

Not to be too pedantic, but "normal" reasonable distances can mean a lot of things to different people.

Thank you for the response.

28 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Not to be too pedantic, but "normal" reasonable distances can mean a lot of things to different people.

Thank you for the response.

I see your point.

Pistols and rifle will be within the SASS recommended ranges, perhaps some a bit closer but nothing further out.

Although I really enjoy Bordertown, we won’t try to emulate their target distances either ;)

2 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

I see your point.

Pistols and rifle will be within the SASS recommended ranges, perhaps some a bit closer but nothing further out.

Although I really enjoy Bordertown, we won’t try to emulate their target distances either ;)

Thank you. 

Its a 600 mile drive from Las Vegas and knowing what the match will be makes decisions easier.  Thank you.

Archived