SASS Wire Forum

Shoulder holster

I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Single Action Second Model Revolver that I'd like to carry for costuming events.  I want something that would accurately  fit the era and isn't so heavy and bulky that it defeats its own purpose.  Also no plastic, elastic, or other modern parts will be acceptable.  I like the looks of the one on the bottom right-hand corner of page 155 of Packing Iron, but no one here wants to make one out of medium weight leather.

One guy told me he didn't make holsters for toy guns.  After a brief explanation of my opinion of his equine ancestry I left. No one else will even consider anything that isn't for some modern gee whiz gun and attached accessories.

Suggestions, if you please.

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Is that a full size revolver

It's the old # 2 frame. Smaller than a modern J. 5-shot 38 S&W.

IMG_20210625_174612112~2.jpg

2 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have a S&W "lemon squeezer). I'll check but doubt it will work.

Thanx,

JHC

If it's a 38 Smith & Wesson, it's the same size frame. The new departure has a trigger guard and the 38 SA has a hammer, but otherwise they're about the same.

IMG_20210625_220034797~2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Can't get their site to open.

Try it again...I edited the link in my first post.
(I was apparently logged in to the site when I did the first "cut & paste") :blush:

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Can't get their site to open.

When I clicked on the link it went to a blank page. I went and read my email for a while, then came back about 10 minutes later and River Junction was up. When I clicked on a specific holster, again it kind of sat there, and I went elsewhere for about 10 minutes and when I came back the page was open.

Old Pueblo Leather down here in Tucson can make you anything you want, they will need the pistol though.

Gene and Melinda, are great folks, they made all my cowboy leather and even a bunch of non-cowboy leather.

https://www.facebook.com/oldpuebloleather/

(520) 490-7199

On 6/25/2021 at 10:29 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Single Action Second Model Revolver that I'd like to carry for costuming events.  I want something that would accurately  fit the era and isn't so heavy and bulky that it defeats its own purpose.  Also no plastic, elastic, or other modern parts will be acceptable.  I like the looks of the one on the bottom right-hand corner of page 155 of Packing Iron, but no one here wants to make one out of medium weight leather.

One guy told me he didn't make holsters for toy guns.  After a brief explanation of my opinion of his equine ancestry I left. No one else will even consider anything that isn't for some modern gee whiz gun and attached accessories.

Suggestions, if you please.

Thanks.

My friend Rob, SimplyRugged.com (928) 227-0432 is in Chino Valley. He might consider making one for you.  Some of his regular designs may be suitable for adapting, check out his page and see what you think.

10 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

You might try Andrews Custom Leather. He does custom work, and made the holsters for the remake of Magnificent Seven.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

sprngbrk_a.jpg.ba306ceffc0d331ef46419b12e763462.jpg

http://www.andrewsleather.com/exotic/Promotional/Mag7/index.html

SDC_206_06.jpg.516269da786446b1e8232f5009a11497.jpg

That is exactly what I am NOT looking for.

My gun is like the bottom one in Alpo's first post except mine has a 1" longer barrel.  I'm looking for authentic 1880s concealablity.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'll give him a shot, butI was under the impression that he was into modern combat and daily carry rigs.

Rob does a lot of that. My daily carry is a defcon. Most comfortable holster I've ever used. He made a cowboy rig for my wifr Cimarron that is terrific. On his page, under holsters you'll see the different types. Some of them might look familiar, Threepersons, SD Myres and the like. The shootist and 120 along with others are vintage lines based on old western holsters. He makes a lot of holsters for people still carrying SA's.

Archived