SASS Wire Forum

RELOADING THE .44 MAGNUM by Elmer

Pee Wee #15785

I have Elmer Keiths book "Hell I was there" it is a really good read.    SCJ

30 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Interesting how Keith says to not to do max loads and leave that to the factory.   I mean, wasn't he infamous for hotrodding stuff as much as he could?

From the things I have read about him and the creation of the .44 mag, yes, he was notoriously famous

in my opin about sup'n his reloads up.

..........Widder

In his books he explains that his goal was for about 1200 f/s for the Magnum. 

When he reviewed the factory loads he felt they were excessive being about 1450 f/s. 

That was a time before we had the better pressure measures.  Once we go tools to measure shorter time frames, most makers reduced bot the 357 Mag and 44 Mag loads about 100 f/s less.

That is one reason to be careful of 50 year old and older loading manuals.

23 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

In his books he explains that his goal was for about 1200 f/s for the Magnum. 

When he reviewed the factory loads he felt they were excessive being about 1450 f/s. 

That was a time before we had the better pressure measures.  Once we go tools to measure shorter time frames, most makers reduced bot the 357 Mag and 44 Mag loads about 100 f/s less.

That is one reason to be careful of 50 year old and older loading manuals.

I'm pretty sure he loaded using the case as a dipper. He blew up a few guns with his R & D.

If you shoot a few max loads using data from a good manual and 300 grain bullets you will understand why EK said not to go over recommended loads.   Just a few, it won't take many and you will probably have some left.

Blackfoot  :rolleyes:

44 Mag Hornady 240gr HPXTP Hand Load 20 yards exit wound Thompson Contender 15" barrel. 

44 mag.jpg

9 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

If you shoot a few max loads using data from a good manual and 300 grain bullets you will understand why EK said not to go over recommended loads.   Just a few, it won't take many and you will probably have some left.

Blackfoot  :rolleyes:

Oh, sure.   

I mean, heck, I fired one, just one round of factory ammo out of my Uberti SAA in the caliber.  I doubt very much that I'll ever fire anything that powerful out of it ever again.

Slim you are correct.  Heavy loads are not hard on the shooter in a rifle.  The 300 grain bullets that I am familiar with will not work in a rifle and it  is so noted on the box.

Blackfoot :blush:

I finally landed on a Bisley grip for the 44 Mag Super Blackhawk, originally 7 1/2 but bought after it had been trimmed to 6". My 41 Magnum 6 1/2" NMBH Flat Top Bisley conversion is due back any day now. I found that the Ruger Bisley concept grip truly offers a lot of relief for serious loads in a handgun. The hammer and trigger change is a bonus. I was told it might cost $350 rather than the $2000 I was quoted locally, but it actually cost $500 plus $250 for the parts kit plus $85 in shipping. It is a blued gun, so finishing the new grip frame would have been more than a stainless gun.

I have used both the 41 Mag and an earlier 44 mag flat top in SASS and found the minimum Trailboss loads to work just fine...no punishment to the shooter or particularly to the steel targets. I have been witness to a new shooter using factory semi-jackets on steel and those targets really showed it, not to mention the stunning shock wave from the gun.

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I finally landed on a Bisley grip for the 44 Mag Super Blackhawk, originally 7 1/2 but bought after it had been trimmed to 6". My 41 Magnum 6 1/2" NMBH Flat Top Bisley conversion is due back any day now. I found that the Ruger Bisley concept grip truly offers a lot of relief for serious loads in a handgun. The hammer and trigger change is a bonus. I was told it might cost $350 rather than the $2000 I was quoted locally, but it actually cost $500 plus $250 for the parts kit plus $85 in shipping. It is a blued gun, so finishing the new grip frame would have been more than a stainless gun.

I have used both the 41 Mag and an earlier 44 mag flat top in SASS and found the minimum Trailboss loads to work just fine...no punishment to the shooter or particularly to the steel targets. I have been witness to a new shooter using factory semi-jackets on steel and those targets really showed it, not to mention the stunning shock wave from the gun.

I started running Specials thru mine. Very nice shooting.

Archived