SASS Wire Forum

Crazy prices on Ruger Old Army

Manchester

Specifically the 5.5 SS fixed sight.  I don't foresee Ruger doing another run of them and I have wanted one for awhile.  Do I need to just bite the bullet and pay the current prices.  Or will this too pass?

I don’t know what the current prices are, but I paid $1000 each in 2017. 

I've been looking for a pair of percussion cylinders for this pair. But not having any luck.  They look unfired but have conversion cylinders only.  Box, papers,  tool and original cylinders lost in change of ownership. 

1652524319_RugerOldArmyDec2020.thumb.jpg.e869d5dd2e854dbde13d6e0f9bfe84ef.jpg

4 minutes ago, Manchester said:

Yeah,  I've been talking to the company that made them for the past 6 months and they are so swamped with other work they haven't had time to make another run of cylinders.  

I lusted for years over wanting a pair of Ruger Old Army's, but my pockets weren't quite deep enough. 

Settled for a pair of Remington 1858 New Model Army replicas and have been very happy with them.

image.png.eaa49ec57df61bb949477db5b0aa9e3d.png

If your pockets are deep enough, and you find a pair of Ruger Old Army's, go ahead and bite the bullet, their high price will not pass!

Like most guns and supplies right now, keep an eye on things until prices settle.  Most, I believe, will drop back to 10-20% higher then before The Panic of 2020.

But, ROAs are special - just because they are out of production and Ruger has not seemed interested in making a new run.  For them, it may be that a high panic price may just stick for a long time.  But in either case, don't believe the prices will rise higher than they are now.  Patience MAY save you couple hundred dollars a piece.   The model you have your eyes on are the most desired model for cowboy action, BTW.

You just want ONE?   Never any interest in SASS?  You really want a pair, in case you are attacked by seven bears...      :lol:

good luck, GJ

I never understood why they was so cheap in the first place .

They are definitely the best Cap Guns ever built .

I used to buy them unfired like new for 150.00 and over the years I probably had 70 or 80 of them .

They definitely are worth 600.

But the price everything demands today is Ridiculous !

One of our favorite toy stores had a warn blue with 7.5 barrel and adjustable sights for less than $500 for at least 6 months.  A month or so back I thought I should consider buying it but luckily, it was gone.  

I have a pair 7 1/2"  worked on and brass frames put on by a gunsmith that shot under the name of Skull. They were his personal use guns.  I gave right at $1000 per gun.  I shot them about 5 years then Arther got my hands and had to shoot lower recoil guns.  Today it would take more than $2000 to buy them.  I still shot them at home but can't do 50-60 rounds.  They have Iron Wood grips and the Ruger grips.  I do love the way they shot.  

I've seen the 5 1/2 SS with fixed sights go for $2,750 on Gun Broker.

Then, once you get them race-ready by slicking-them-up, with lowered hammers, lighten the springs, put in new Slick nipples, and maybe add some engraving, you will have the Lamborghini of Cowboy Guns ......and the price keeps climbing.

These may not be for everyone, except everyone on the Dark side, , and I acknowledge that I have an interest in their value rising.

IMG_20200518_194119.jpg

I'll say this again and get howled down.  I see no reason the Ruger Old Army can't be cloned. 

There is nothing I see that can't be produced by Pietta or Uberti or China even some small machine shop.  

Someone needs to talk with Taylor's and or Cimerron there at EOT.  

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'll say this again and get howled down.  I see no reason the Ruger Old Army can't be cloned. 

There is nothing I see that can't be produced by Pietta or Uberti or China even some small machine shop.  

Someone needs to talk with Taylor's and or Cimerron there at EOT.  

What makes you think there is a Market for them?

CAS demand is miniscule.

Phantom

4 hours ago, Manchester said:

RW Grip Frames is apparently doing a bunch of different ROA hammers.  

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/OLD-ARMY_c_32.html

Looked interesting but they have no hammers or photos of hammers but want your money up front.

21 hours ago, Manchester said:

Specifically the 5.5 SS fixed sight.  I don't foresee Ruger doing another run of them and I have wanted one for awhile.  Do I need to just bite the bullet and pay the current prices.  Or will this too pass?

Lipsey had a special run of ROAs in 2017.  $1200 each.  So, if the price of a new gun is that high, and they sold out...  I wouldn't expect the secondary market prices to come down.  They were selling at approx. 2K a pair before the"panic buying", they'll sell for that much after the dust settles.

36 minutes ago, Manchester said:

Was watching one on GB it’s already at $1600.  Pass

I watched one go for over $3,000.  It was new in the box 5.5 bright polished stainless. Fixed sights. There was a second one with consecutive serial number that successful bidder had first option to buy at the same price.  $6,000+ for pair. 

I feel sorry for shooters wanting in on the ROA fun.  I thought I was late to the game when I was paying $700 for a blued 5 1/2”.  I would really have to think hard about buying a pair now, let alone having a b/u set.  I’m with T Square, if I was looking at selling a pair of my ROAs it would be around the $2500 price range.  Not a gouge, just thinking of replacement costs.

There was a set at the Williams (Arizona) gun show today. They had $1100 on each one.

I have two pair; 7.5” SS and refinished/antiqued originally blued 5.5”, all fixed sights and still being used in matches, even though I haven’t been able to shoot duelist style for nearly a year.  (arthritis)  I admit I have been tempted to sell a pair and cash in on the appreciation, but I can’t decide which pair to sell because they are all fun to shoot!

Probably my heirs will have to deal with all four guns. 

16 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think the ROA is just ugly.  Now the Colt's Navy, that is a thing of beauty.  :D

Ya'll don't have to worry about me.  I won't be pushing the price of a ROAs up.

Angus

I love my Confederate 44 51 Navy's. Best buy I ever made. Most national point and shoot handguns I own. 

59993d38e5350_Pietta51navy44sAug2017.jpg.a71a1a428913545bd2e4f1fc3e68004f.jpg

24 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have two pair; 7.5” SS and refinished/antiqued originally blued 5.5”, all fixed sights and still being used in matches, even though I haven’t been able to shoot duelist style for nearly a year.  (arthritis)  I admit I have been tempted to sell a pair and cash in on the appreciation, but I can’t decide which pair to sell because they are all fun to shoot!

Probably my heirs will have to deal with all four guns. 

Ahem. Don’t forget your “brother” up here in KC! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

I feel sorry for shooters wanting in on the ROA fun.  I thought I was late to the game when I was paying $700 for a blued 5 1/2”.  I would really have to think hard about buying a pair now, let alone having a b/u set.  I’m with T Square, if I was looking at selling a pair of my ROAs it would be around the $2500 price range.  Not a gouge, just thinking of replacement costs.

Logic...

Uhhh...why would you be concerning yourself with Replacement Cost if you're selling...unless you're in the gun selling biz?

Just curious...

Phantom

After much angst and deliberation, I'm going to sell one (1) pair of 5 1/2 SS ROA's over the Fourth of July Weekend.

I'm feeling "saddened" to have collected so many, and it seems that we can grow the Frontiersmen category - if we add to the supply (like the monetary policy in the USA).  I'm going to sell them as a pair, and I'll let them go for for $2k each.  Those whom bought at $700 will enjoy the bump. Those who bought at $2795, you can consider this a Sale. (LOL). Watch the Wire on Friday July 2nd at 6:00 PM.  I'll provide pictures and a description of condition.  DM me if you want a 7 1/2 or any Blued-model.  I'm not going to GunBroker.  I consider myself a Cowboy not a Vendor.

Deal of the day?

I was given an ROA cylinder yesterday from an estate.  It is Stainless. If you would like it I want the cost to ship it to you and it's your's. PM me with your address and I will send it off this week with the cost of shipping invoice. Pay me when you get it.

1 is better than none, is my thinking.

Ike

54 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Deal of the day?

I was given an ROA cylinder yesterday from an estate.  It is Stainless. If you would like it I want the cost to ship it to you and it's your's. PM me with your address and I will send it off this week with the cost of shipping invoice. Pay me when you get it.

Ike

I'll take it!

P.M Sent.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Deal of the day?

Ike

Ike, I'm curious where the estate was?

A month ago I got a stainless Ruger Old Army from an estate in Fort Worth, Texas, and its stainless cylinder was missing...  :-(

Archived