SASS Wire Forum

Go West

I may have to pull a book out of my shelves and reread the story. I saw a movie about it years ago that had some resemblance of the events, but the title evades me. Someday the wife and I will need to visit the area.

I visited the area, as a kid, with my parents, many years ago.

You've reminded me to add it to my bucket list now that I know more about it as opposed to the Hollyweird treatment of the tragedy.

Every time I think of the Little Bighorn, (I have been to the site), I think of a cartoon, my Mom had on her bulletin board.

it was a scene of Custer, and some soldiers behind him, all on horseback, and he sees the Sioux coming around a bend, and he makes a remark about Sitting Bull's headpiece. He says: "what a stupid looking hat". The title of the cartoon was: "Custer's Last Snide Remark". 

Visiting the battle site, is an experience, and if anyone has the chance to go, they should.

One can read about it, and see movies, and documentaries, about it, and see pictures of the site, but nothing beats the experience of being there, and seeing it in person.

I guess that is true of most things. 

Well, except combat, and hell. I had rather read about those two things, and see movies, and documentaries, about them, than experience combat again, or hell ever. 

It is an amazing story, that will be studied, and thought about, until Gabe blows his horn.

W.K. 

I'm a Custerphile.  I have studied the Little Big Horn (LBH) for the past 70 years.  Been to LBH approx 15 times over the years.  I have 2 1/2 shelves of books, notes, essays, maps, articles etc on the subject.

About 10 years ago, I gave an impromptu guided tour of the Reno/Benteen upper defensive position aka Reno Hill, when the self-guided tour pamphlets ran out.  That was before the current pictographs were in place that replaced the pamphlets.  Going back again, probably for the last time on June 25, 2022

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I'm a Custerphile.  I have studied the Little Big Horn (LBH) for the past 70 years.  Been to LBH approx 15 times over the years.  I have 2 1/2 shelves of books, notes, essays, maps, articles etc on the subject.

About 10 years ago, I gave an impromptu guided tour of the Reno/Benteen upper defensive position aka Reno Hill, when the self-guided tour pamphlets ran out.  That was before the current pictographs were in place that replaced the pamphlets.  Going back again, probably for the last time on June 25, 2022

Since you seem to have very good background...It was said the battle lasted no longer than a hungry man can finish a meal...Which seems to be less than an hour or far less the an hour...Just some thoughts on it....

Texas Lizard

There were 2 board of inquiries, that saying is from the 1st inquiry. Reno and Benteen had Indians testifying that battle was so short that Reno and Benteen moving to Custer wouldn't have helped. The 2nd board and recent archeology studies says Custer tried to cross the river at 3 points NOT one and that the battle lasted for approx 3hours.Indians later testified that the troopers had expended their ammunition and the last to die were swinging their weapons in defense,. and that they had fought bravely.

Great Grandson of Sitting Bull.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-3NIrXW92s

11 hours ago, Go West said:

I may have to pull a book out of my shelves and reread the story. I saw a movie about it years ago that had some resemblance of the events, but the title evades me. Someday the wife and I will need to visit the area.

Was it "Son of the Morning Star" ?

I participated as a mounted 7th cavalryman in 2006 which was the 130th anniversary at the Little Big Horn on an adventure sponsored by Ellsworth Kincaid.

Well organized trip that included horse training in Lander, WY by Kevin Mcniven (sp) and ended at the battlefield.

We did a two day ride to the battlefield through the Crow's Nest.  Way different perspective coming in on horseback.

Our troop participated in the reenactment on the battlefield area since we were riding for the Crow Indians.

It was arranged for several of us to go to memorial service with pistols' and horses and we left sweeping across in front of Last Stand Hill.

June 26, 1970

4BBE0999-9205-453F-A75A-E37FF4627E1B.jpeg

Archived