SASS Wire Forum

Tips for DRY CAMPING at a match...

If you don't want folks parked right up beside ya...DON'T DRY CAMP

If you don't like dogs...DON'T DRY CAMP

If you don't like generators...DON'T DRY CAMP 

If you go to bed an hour after supper, and folks visiting and laughin' keep you awake...DON'T DRY CAMP

Most ranges do the best they can to allow us shooters to camp on range.

Space is limited, especially for big matches, so sardine parking is the deal.

With aging shooters (and some youngin's thrown in) a CPAP is needed and gennies are run over night.

Many shooters have dogs...they can bark, at squirrells, birds, passerbys...it is what dogs do. If dogs are an issue...DON'T DRY CAMP

If you don't like strangers coming into your site sayin' "Howdy" (folks want to meet other folks)...DON'T DRY CAMP

the list can go on and on folks, really it can.

The important thing is, follow the Golden Rule in the Bible...you know, the one Grandma taught you...

"Treat others as you would have them treat you"

So Tip: If any of the above bother you, and you can't live with a bit of noise for 3 days or a week....GO TO AN RV PARK.

Enjoy your matches folks...and if YOU can't, then adjust YOUR situation.

16246239890167432793673332827204.jpg

That goes both ways and courtesy is just as important and needs to be shown to every one. Why should it be me that has to put up with your noisy Harbor Freight generator or your barking dog and rowdy party. After all me camping quietly has no effect on you can you say the same?

If someone wants peace, quiet, harmony, and things to be easy, and smooth, and for everyone to tiptoe around, then one might want to not dry camp in a setting of an event. The loudest one I ever attended was a NASCAR event. That makes a SASS event sound like a convent, of 80 year old nuns, at midnight. 

Noise of all kinds, in all hours, lights, commotion, animals barking, or babies crying, or someone snoring, and such, just goes with the territory, when dry camping. At the mountain men rendezvous, you dry camp, if you are really into it, in a teepee. That is even more vulnerable than a camper trailer.  

Other than your casket, I can't think of too many places one can find peace, quiet, harmony, most all of the time.

Two things my late Ma told me numerous times...1. "if ya can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"....and 2. "there will come a time in your life when you will wish for, and long for, what you, right now, consider bad situations. You may be confined to a bed, and forgotten, and cruddy situations will be much preferred over the one you would be in, in that instance". 

I am a geezer now, so I am at an age where I prefer to "dry camp" in a La Quinta. :D   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Bought an RV (pull behind) to do just this. First trip was to the Mississippi state and we dry camped on the range. The other campers were great. Kids, dogs, visits... it all quieted down by 9pm. The Race track less than a mile away on Saturday night, not so much. Oh, and the busy railroad only a couple hundred yards away LOL. Still was a good trip. Looking forward to Black Gold!

So, what is a “Wet Camp”? Is there such a thing? What is meant by “Dry Camp”? 
I am asking a serious question. I have always camped in a tent, never an RV. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dry mean you supply needed power and water

Wet means full hookup and drainage. 

OLG 

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

At my age, "Camping" is done at Hilton Inn and Suites.  When I were a lad, ALL my camping equipment had to fit on a Motorcycle.

With sidecar for extra room or trailer???  You at least needed the rubber mat to sleep on...Rocks keep up all night....

Texas Lizard

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Dry mean you supply needed power and water

Wet means full hookup and drainage. 

OLG 

Okay, now I understand. Thank you. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi TL

Two Man (Person) mountain tent, Mummy Bag, White Gas stove, Blow-up Air Mattress (half length), change of clothes, Rain Suit.

Add a bar of soap...Just in case you find a creek bed to wash up in...Or garden hose at the range....Just use it at night...

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Ranger Dan said:

Bought an RV (pull behind) to do just this. First trip was to the Mississippi state and we dry camped on the range. The other campers were great. Kids, dogs, visits... it all quieted down by 9pm. The Race track less than a mile away on Saturday night, not so much. Oh, and the busy railroad only a couple hundred yards away LOL. Still was a good trip. Looking forward to Black Gold!

Tell Black Gold crew I say "Hi"

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Let me tell ya...we are WET in dry camp here at EOT!

We dry camped a lot when I was in the military. 

A foxhole, hastily dug, or just laying on something in the jungle.

When it rained, the foxhole filled up with water, so I guess that might qualify as a sort of wet camp.

I slept so much, fully clothed, that after I got off active duty, I could not sleep in a bed, or in pj's. 

I had to sleep on a pallet, on the floor, fully dressed.

I think back, and all that was compensated for less than 70 cents an hour, in wages. 

We returned home to insults, and being spit on. 

Boy howdy, am I glad the veterans are not received home like that anymore. Warms my heart to see their receptions now.

So...dry camp and wet camp have a different connotation to me, than to you young-un's, at EOT.

Long before SASS, it was muzzleloading, and mountain man rendezvous, at various times of the year, at various locations. Those events still go on, and are fun too. I heard it in the '60's at rendezvous... "Leman, and Hawken...rifles that made the west safe for Sharps, and Winchester, and Colt". 

But it's all good. It's an experience, that can be fun, and so much so, that we want to do it again, year in and year out...(but without getting shot at, in a steaming, humid jungle...obviously). 

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Let me tell ya...we are WET in dry camp here at EOT!

Sorry for laughing. Couldn't help it. I got soaked at Wartrace last year.  Cap guns and rain are not the best combination.

8 hours ago, Chantry said:

That's why I stay in hotels!   :P

Comfort Inn!!;)

I have no problem with loud noises. I simply remove my hearing aids and go to sleep.

^_^

You know, God gives us gifts, even though we don't deserve them, or earn them. 

The Bible says "God is love", so I reckon that is why He does that for us, even though we are not perfect, and we fail Him every day. 

You are our gift, Miss Sue. 

We do not deserve you.

Thank you God.

W.K. 

4 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

You know, God gives us gifts, even though we don't deserve them, or earn them. 

The Bible says "God is love", so I reckon that is why He does that for us, even though we are not perfect, and we fail Him every day. 

You are our gift, Miss Sue. 

We do not deserve you.

Thank you God.

W.K. 

Awwww...brother, I am going to make a trip to Waxahachie one day soon, and treat you to lunch!!! Got to meet you!!!

I have to remind myself of God's instructions...somedays it takes me a bit to remember:wub:

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Awwww...brother, I am going to make a trip to Waxahachie one day soon, and treat you to lunch!!! Got to meet you!!!

I have to remind myself of God's instructions...somedays it takes me a bit to remember:wub:

You just be yourself, and don't change. Keep making a positive difference, with your posts. As Louis L'Amour once said, in one of his novels...and I paraphrase: "my shadow is small, before the sun of your presence".

I just finished a dry camp at the Quigley shoot. I was there from Thursday until Monday. I used a canvas lean-to and a bed roll. I've been doing this since I started shooting  the Quigley in 1998. In spite of the fact that "Quigleyville" becomes the 4th largest town in the county, the camp isn't overly noisy or obnoxious.

5 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I just finished a dry camp at the Quigley shoot. I was there from Thursday until Monday. I used a canvas lean-to and a bed roll. I've been doing this since I started shooting  the Quigley in 1998. In spite of the fact that "Quigleyville" becomes the 4th largest town in the county, the camp isn't overly noisy or obnoxious.

I am just too darn old and fat to tent anymore!!!:ph34r:

Archived