SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year 2021 Nominations

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

The Magnificent Seven are once again looking for your nominations for  Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year. In the trip up to the 40th End of Trail and at End of Trail here in Indiana I have been lucky to meet many of the Classics that have won the award in the past and many others who have adopted this class as their SASS persona. So gratifying to see so many picking up the hammered shotgun and shooting the big bores one handed dressed in working cowboy style.

So let us know who you think should be recognized as the Classic Cowboy or Cowgirl Shootist of the Year for 2021. They don’t have to be the fastest or have been shooting the longest—what we are looking for are those folks who are willin’--who ably represent and exemplify the Classic Cowboy or Classic Cowgirl category and encourage others to try it.

Post your nominations, seconds, or comments on the Wire or pm members of the Magnificent Seven (Serenity, Hot Tamale, Needmore Gunz, Tom Payne, Augustus Goodnight, and Dragon Hill Dave) through the end of August. We plan to announce the winners at Comin’ At Cha and make the awards at End of Trail in Phoenix.

Just a reminder, here are the past winners:

2010: T-Bone Dooley

2011: Lefty Henderson- Shotglass 

2012: RJ Law-Bella Spencer

2013: Big 6 Henderson- Hot Tamale 

2014: GW Ryder- Squawty Bawdy

2015: Doc Baker- Serenity

2016 Tonic Kid-Marie Laveau

2017-Chilipepper Kid-Black Hills Barb

2018- Major Art Tillery-Cayenne Kay

2019- Stirrup Trouble-Mattie Mahala West

2020-Asa Smith - Boss Shamrock

I nominate Dutch Coroner.  He's one of the hardest working cowboys I know as well as a championship shooter.  He took over as MD of the Thurmont Rangers when no one else would.  It was a great place to shoot before and it's even better now.  I will also add that no matter what club, or the size of the match, Dutch is always willing to lend a hand with set up, clean up or whatever needs done.

Second that on Dutch Coroner. Have had the pleasure of shooting with him several times. A hard working straight up honest cowboy. A fine ambassador for our category and sport. He's a dang fine and fast shooter too. His work with a hammered double is amazing.

Can I nominate Sixgun Seamus? He's a fine ambassador of this sport, goes to practically ever shoot with his lovely wife and is a great pard to posse with.

(He sometimes dresses funny though):P

I nominate Dutch Coroner, I've known him since he began shooting in SASS. He is a top notch cowboy, dedicated, hard worker and is every bit the definition of Spirit of The Game. Dutch is a friend to everyone he meets.

I nominate Dantankerous. Great guy and personifies Classic. He has been facing some challenges the last year, but still remained classic and a true cowboy. He personifies what a true cowboy is

I appreciate the nominations and the kind words. Being included in this group of nominees is a true honor. I love the sport, the friendships, the travel and the CCB category very much. 

Let's keep the votes coming for the EoT Classic Cowboy champ Dutch Coroner!

I'll support that nomination. :D

I second what @Rye Miles #13621 said about Sixgun Seamus.

I would like to nominate him as well. He is a great Cowboy, and Ambassador to this sport!!

Even though he torments me with Cowboy match photos while I sit at work.

Hot Tamale.  Excellent competitor, promotes the Classic way and cowboy action shooting in general!

My vote goes to Pony Soldier. He promotes the Classic category more than just about anyone I have seen. His Throw down in October shows how far he goes for this great category. No slights to any of the other fine classics, all would represent well.

Jax T

I would also like to nominate Six Gun Seamus . He has helped me and others new to this sport feel welcome . Its always a pleasure to posse with him . He never stops helping every shooter he meets .He is a true Classic Cowboy . 

Pony Soldier the way he is breaking the classic cowboy throwdown into three different categories is great. He is making the shoots fun and 

I know of several cowboys that are deserving of the honor, to be called the Classic Cowboy Shootist of the year. 

But over the past few years one has really stood out to me as a great promoter of the Classic Cowboy Category.  He has jumped in and helped me in every way possibly with The Classic Cowboy / Cowgirl Showdown.  Helping with awards, promotion of the event, tossing around ideas, & talking shooters into trying the classic category. He is absolutely the best promoter I have had for the Showdown!

He has also started a "spin-off" of sorts by putting together an event called the Classic Cowboy Throwdown in Oklahoma.  This event, though only in it's second year, has had tremendous success and classic shooter turnout.  I see nothing but great things happening with it in the future.

This fella will go out of his way to help you with shooting tips, gear, and even a place to crash if needed.  He loves the category and the folks in it, and it shows when he gets talking about the category. He is a great shooter and has won several state buckles and many other awards in the category.  But... he still lets me whip up on him from time to time. :lol:

He is a good friend and Pard and deserving of this award.

That is why my nomination for Classic Cowboy Shootist of the Year is:

PONY SOLDIER

PSX_20210530_173103.thumb.jpg.7188928e020c2667c64cba97a22781d5.jpg

Wow Major. Thank you very much pard. You’re a great cowboy, very good friend, and eloquent to boot. I appreciate the kind words very much “cousin.”

Nice write up, Major! You certainly are 100% correct in your synopsis of Pony Soldier. Pony is all that and more. He certainly goes the extra mile in all he does for CC. I've enjoyed being on a posse with him many times over the years. He knows CC, but he also knows RO1 and RO2, works as TO every match I've seen him in, works as spotter or brasser when needed without reservation and now is championing another form of CC competition within a CC competition that gives more CC depth and fun to an already awesome category. He's inventive, helpful, exciting and motivational. He's a very competitive shooter and getting purdy durn fast. Pony spares no expense when it comes to energy and devotion to cowboy action shooting and Classic Cowboy. He shoots a lot of matches and he never stops working during those matches. Pony Soldier is definitely deserving of this award. He's a great cowboy, a fine shooter, a darn good feller to posse with, and someone who will help out another shooter in any and every way he can. He's got a fine sense of perspective and humor that keeps a posse and a match exciting, fun. Pony Soldier is a great candidate for this award.

For clarification it is the Magnificent Seven who will vote on and choose the receipints of this award based on your nominations and information you provide (and their research) about the Classic Cowboy and Classic Cowgirl. So you really need to provide them good information about why they should choose your nominee. They are not counting up your votes to make the choice.

Archived