SASS Wire Forum

Your pet 44-40 load using 200 gr. bullet

Jeb Stuart #65654

A slightly compressed load of fg blackpowder.

Main match ammo: 1.6cc of Olde Eynsford FFg (~25gr) topped with heaping 0.5cc of grits.

Long distance: 2.2cc of Olde Eynsford FFg (~35gr).

200gr BP-lubed bullet for each.

Smokeless: 6.0gr Trailboss

21 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

4.5-5.0 gr TiteGroup

5.0-5.5 gr Trail Boss

6.0 gr Unique

My experience is somewhat the same. I use a LEE 429-200-RF and a Lyman 427666, I prefer the LEE and will use it again when my new mold gets made. 

5.5 gr of Trail Boss will get you a shade over 700 fps in a 4 5/8" barrel, without any accuracy issues, as will 5 gr of Red Dot (new). If you have the older stuff, go up to 5.5 gr. I use a Rem 2 1/2 LP primer for both those. 

I found that the sweet spot for Unique was up a bit higher, around 9.5 gr. Reducing the charge didn't help and somewhere around 7 gr started to give erratic results and poor accuracy in a rifle. 

TiteGroup didn't work out for me, had issues with powder position that I may have been able to shake with a primer change, but switching to Red Dot gave me better results. 

I wouldn't have even bothered with Trail Boss, but I'm making myself a 310 tong tool bunkhouse kit and wanted to limit the powder types. so far I've got a working load for the 45 Colt, 44-40 WCF and 38 Spl. I must admit, somedays I'd cheerfully toss that 310 stuff in the trash, then the next day it all comes together and it works great. I got so frustrated that I considered buying a Harrell or a Sinclair press and giving up on the nutcrackers.

I digress, my bad, just love the 44-40, it's a winner IMHO.

BB

^^^^^great load right there. Been loading it for 10+ years.

2 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Do you mean the 4.0 Reddot load?

Thanks

Yes, Reddot.

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

4.5-5.0 gr TiteGroup

5.0-5.5 gr Trail Boss

6.0 gr Unique

THIS!

I use 18 gr of FFFg Goex compressed then Crean of wheat filler, a felt lube wad, and either 200gr or 240 gr black powder lubed bullets.  I use bullets from Springfield Slim SASS #24733.  Anything shorter than 7 1/2" barrel will sting your hand if you use a full case of FFFg that's why I use the filler.  For my rifles I use full case load compressed 1/8"-1/4".   If out wondering the woods I carry rifle rounds in my pistol.

5.5 Bullseye worked for me. 

On 6/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, John Boy said:

Jeb,  pick one, they all are from manufacturer’s loading data ….

http://stevespages.com/429p_1_200.html

what powder do you have?

I have all of the powders recommended in this thread plus others.

Dave,

Have used 6 gr. of Unique for many years with great success! Might work for you as well.....

Randy

1 minute ago, Bugler said:

Dave,

Have used 6 gr. of Unique for many years with great success! Might work for you as well.....

Randy

Thanks.  Will we be seeing you at the Montana state shoot in a few weeks?

Not this year, I have a badly injured leg.....was moving my new gun safe in I fell backward snapping all three tendons from the top of the femur, while my left foot was snagged under the axle of the cart.

The surgeon was able to surgically re-attach all three without any cadaver tissue.........all of my summer events are put on hold while I recover.

Randy

On 6/27/2021 at 5:39 AM, Bugler said:

Not this year, I have a badly injured leg.....was moving my new gun safe in I fell backward snapping all three tendons from the top of the femur, while my left foot was snagged under the axle of the cart.

The surgeon was able to surgically re-attach all three without any cadaver tissue.........all of my summer events are put on hold while I recover.

Randy

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly.

Jeb  

Archived