SASS Wire Forum

Discworld fans

Utah Bob #35998

Ya know that Cheerios commercial with the curvy lady in the red dress. First thing that came into my mind when I saw her was ...

Lady Sybil Ramkin. Am I crazy? :unsure: ;)

0D4A95D1-959D-496E-B603-51322EB41DEA.jpeg

I don't know.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Cherios commercial and I have the TV on most of the day even though I am not watching it a lot of the time.  Keeps the dog happy.

P.S. Who is Lady Sybil Ramkin?

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I don't know.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Cherios commercial and I have the TV on most of the day even though I am not watching it a lot of the time.  Keeps the dog happy.

P.S. Who is Lady Sybil Ramkin?

You have to read the book. ;)

3 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I resemble that remark!

downloadfile-1.thumb.jpg.01fba4737f74aa3c259982626a9a8e2f.jpg

Just an artist’s conception. Not one that I completely agree with.  :P

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You have to read the book. ;)

I always figure if the book is any they will make it into a movie.  Then I'll go watch it.

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I always figure if the book is any they will make it into a movie.  Then I'll go watch it.

It’s not just a book, it’s a 40 book series. And they have tried to make one book into a tv series, “The Watch” which premiered this year. It was not great. Mainly because like many books, it’s really difficult to translate the spirit of the story to a film. The Discworld book series is wild, wacky, SyFy, fantasy, satirical and brilliantly written. 

It’s sorta like if Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) wrote Game of Thrones.

With a little Monty Python thrown in. :lol:

I believe there's been more than one discworld screen adaptation. 

Having only seen The Watch, I got more of a cheery vibe from that photo.  But I didn't realize Lady Ramkin was supposed to be big and strong too.  They definitely went another direction in the series. 

Here's a list of all of the series or movies inspired by Pratchett's works.  I know Hogfather is set in discworld and Good Omens is not.  Not sure about the rest, but I bet most were set in discworld. 

First introduction to Discworld was via audio books.  The first 4 or 5 were AWESOME. In addition to a good story line the voices of the characters helped bring everything to life. 

The icing on the cake however was the voice for Death.  Is was a big booming voice made by putting the microphone inside a large container.

44 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Intriguing.   I may have to check that out.

Angus

They’re cheap on Kindle at Amazon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

One of the great characters! :lol:

Archived