SASS Wire Forum

Aint no Cadillac for the winner

Creeker, SASS #43022

I was pricing out an out of state shoot for myself, Desert Scorpion and Painted Lady.

A shoot distant enough to require air flight (ok, maybe not require; but far enough that I am not driving).

BEST deal on airfare with two checked bags each (clothes and guns) was round trip of $1674.00 for the three of us.

BEST price for a "decent" Hotel for the length of the event was $400.00.

And we have to have rental car for to and fro - so add another $400.00

Application to the shoot - myself $120 - Painted Lady $90 - Scorpion $120.  So $330.00 there.

Uber to and from the airport here (or leave my car in short term parking) another $60 - $80.

Gas, food, stupidity for the three of us $400.00.

Figure around $3500 for the three of us to do an event IF we are frugal and budget conscious

(which my latest trip to Montana and Wyoming proves we am not - but that's another story).

So just for fun - I visited EBAY Motors and looked at the prices of Cadillacs.

For that price - I could (I wouldn't but still, I could) purchase a

1995 Eldorado, 1997 Deville, 1941 Fleetwood Project, 1984 Eldorado (have a soft spot for that - my parents owned one and let me use it on dates), 1951 Series 2 project and so on and so on.

So the next time - someone dismisses your input with "Well, no one is winning a Cadillac over it"  remember that a Cadillac can be had for less than many spend on their event. 

I figured it out one time a wile ago that if you do a 5 stage match and your hit times are around 1 minute each then for the 4 to 5 hours that you are there you are only shooting for about 5 minutes.  But then there is the fun factor of being with your fellow cowboys.

12 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I figured it out one time a wile ago that if you do a 5 stage match and your hit times are around 1 minute each then for the 4 to 5 hours that you are there you are only shooting for about 5 minutes.  But then there is the fun factor of being with your fellow cowboys.

With all due respect - As much as I "love" my fellow cowboy shooters - I come to a match to compete.

I am one that does not think the social aspect of our game is the primary selling point.

23 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It's been a rubric since before I started.  Though at a match once, we did give away a Cadillac.  Granted it was a Hot Wheels car, but still.

We did the same thing at Eldorado a few years back. 

Cadillac and a Hummer H2 if memory serves.  Still had that new die cast smell :D

5 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

With all due respect - As much as I "love" my fellow cowboy shooters - I come to a match to compete.

I am one that does not think the social aspect of our game is the primary selling point.

God...god...Lord...lord...gawd...I'm going to get in trouble for this.

I'm in total agreement with you. Some folks try and portray CAS as one big cumbaya experience. Go to a match and you'll have cliques...groups...normal human interactions that you see everywhere. Little anecdotes that folks try to extrapolate to the whole...but it doesn't.

The Wire is an interesting example. Many do whatever they can to try and maintain that Cowboy Action Shooters are "above it all"...they'll argue tooth and nail that you are wrong to compare CAS to other games/sports/endeavors/etc,etc...CAS is in a league of it's own.

Well...it's not. 

So if I want to join a Social Group...I'll do that. But CAS is SHOOTING and it's a COMPETITION.  I remember one National Champion saying during one of his...perhaps Pot Induced moments...that he takes some joy in seeing his competitors fail. And THIS person is LOVED by many Cowboy Action Shooters...they bought his facade...

Therefore...I hang with a subgroup of CAS that I like...that I enjoy being around. Are there a lot of them? Yep!! But far from being the majority of them.

Phantom (Mr. Rude and Condescending)

We all pick and choose how we spend that hard earned dollar.

I suppose I and the hubby are oddballs to certain folks.

We go to shoot and socialize and promote our sport...because we enjoy it.

We do not travel to clubs that are 'in your face' targets...or that offer nothing but the shooting...

We DO want the social aspect.

I don't feel we are alone in this.

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We all pick and choose how we spend that hard earned dollar.

I suppose I and the hubby are oddballs to certain folks.

We go to shoot and socialize and promote our sport...because we enjoy it.

We do not travel to clubs that are 'in your face' targets...or that offer nothing but the shooting...

We DO want the social aspect.

I don't feel we are alone in this.

Do you socialize with everyone?

Most folks socialize with those that they have a "Fit" with...no different than any other sport or activity that I've been associated with.

Phantom (sometimes rude...most of the time condescending)

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

God...god...Lord...lord...gawd...I'm going to get in trouble for this.

I'm in total agreement with you. Some folks try and portray CAS as one big cumbaya experience. Go to a match and you'll have cliques...groups...normal human interactions that you see everywhere. Little anecdotes that folks try to extrapolate to the whole...but it doesn't.

The Wire is an interesting example. Many do whatever they can to try and maintain that Cowboy Action Shooters are "above it all"...they'll argue tooth and nail that you are wrong to compare CAS to other games/sports/endeavors/etc,etc...CAS is in a league of it's own.

Well...it's not. 

So if I want to join a Social Group...I'll do that. But CAS is SHOOTING and it's a COMPETITION.  I remember one National Champion saying during one of his...perhaps Pot Induced moments...that he takes some joy in seeing his competitors fail. And THIS person is LOVED by many Cowboy Action Shooters...they bought his facade...

Therefore...I hang with a subgroup of CAS that I like...that I enjoy being around. Are there a lot of them? Yep!! But far from being the majority of them.

Phantom (Mr. Rude and Condescending)

Mr. Rude and Condescending Phantom...read my post, and know that I love ya anyway!:wub:

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Mr. Rude and Condescending Phantom...read my post, and know that I love ya anyway!:wub:

Well...perhaps that's because we actually know each other. 

People make assumptions about folks JUST by their SM presence. It's the "IN" thing to do don'tcha know. :P

21 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Did you bring your guns and ammo and such with you on the plane? 

I took my Ruger LCP carry gun in a small locked case for the Montana/ Wyoming trip.  No issues.

My former employer used to send me around to different markets to troubleshoot. 

I would have them send me early so that I could shoot a match on the weekend.

So I have traveled with cowboy guns/ ammo/ gear on airlines plenty of times as well.   Arizona, Washington, Texas, among others.

Never had any significant challenges (other than overweight bag charges). 

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...perhaps that's because we actually know each other. 

People make assumptions about folks JUST by their SM presence. It's the "IN" thing to do don'tcha know. :P

Oh boy...do I ever!!!

You know, funny thing...

In the words of Tbone...

"This just happened" as we were walking back to the swap yesterday...Bailey Creek (whom I have never met) gets this huge smile and says "I know you! From the Wire"

Now we hugged, chatted and socialized...and as I walked away I tell Shanley "he must have seen my name tag"

Shanley looks over at me, grins and says "you don't have it on":wub:

Welcome to my world.

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Most folks socialize with those that they have a "Fit" with...no different than any other sport or activity that I've been associated with.

You know we will sit, chat and laugh with anyone who wants us (sometimes even those who don't)

If I ever leave anyone feeling dejected, someone best let me know...it is never my intent.

Oh boy...do I ever!!!

You know, funny thing...

In the words of Tbone...

"This just happened" as we were walking back to the swap yesterday...Bailey Creek (whom I have never met) gets this huge smile and says "I know you! From the Wire"

Now we hugged, chatted and socialized...and as I walked away I tell Shanley "he must have seen my name tag"

Shanley looks over at me, grins and says "you don't have it on":wub:

Welcome to my world.

Well look at your avatar girl!!!! How could someone NOT recognize you :P

You know we will sit, chat and laugh with anyone who wants us (sometimes even those who don't)

If I ever leave anyone feeling dejected, someone best let me know...it is never my intent.

Nope - yer one of those folks that are just plain NICE to everyone...god I hate you...

:P

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well look at your avatar girl!!!! How could someone NOT recognize you :P

I guess the fuller face and wrinkles can't change the 'young girl' inside!

Smooches buddy. Have a great match at HOW.

It is on our list, when the man finally gets to retire. 

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Nope - yer one of those folks that are just plain NICE to everyone...god I hate you...

:P

:D:wub::rolleyes::)

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Exactly.

I have folks I enjoy being around at matches and folks that I would not be disappointed if I never laid eyes on them ever again.

And I seek out the folks I enjoy and I dismiss the folks I don't.

Just like every other thing I have ever done.

I bought, built and sold Corvettes (and other classics) with my Dad when i was younger. 

Some of the car folks - I really enjoyed - some sucked. 

I played football and wrestled - some of my team mates were fantastic people - some were scum.

Cowboy is no different - grouping a bunch of folks with a somewhat common interest does not equate common values, ethics or compatibility.

So I focus on the thing I know I enjoy; which is the competition and I let the "friendships" develop on the basis of the person; not on some perceived commonality (and I do have some actual friends in cowboy)  

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It’s not a cheap ‘hobby’ but it is a fun one.  

EOT with the Paradise Valley Regulators was a once in a lifetime chance for us. It costs about a fifth of what it would cost to participate in Phoenix.

Then go to Oklahoma for the Nationals...it'll probably be a more enjoyable match.

;)

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It’s not a cheap ‘hobby’ but it is a fun one.  

EOT with the Paradise Valley Regulators was a once in a lifetime chance for us. It costs about a fifth of what it would cost to participate in Phoenix.

I still hope you can venture to Phx.

I offer whatever help and advise I can give to help you cut corners...

Just let me know!

I’m going to respectfully disagree with a few. I started in 2011 and have shot four matches a month pretty regularly since then. I’ve shot in GA, FL, SC, AL, KY, TN, TX, and now IN. I’ve met three shooters I actively disliked, one of whom doesn’t shoot anymore. That’s it. The rest I either enjoyed shooting with or felt neutral about.

To be fair there might well be more than three who felt differently about me.^_^

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Then go to Oklahoma for the Nationals...it'll probably be a more enjoyable match.

;)

We will! Probably in 2022. I can make that drive in one long day.

I started in 2012. I generally shoot 3x per month. Made my first Regional last year. I’ve met some fine folks in this game. Do I like all of them? Of course not. But, I will say the % is higher than the people I met playing golf, youth sports with my son, even church. I’ve bought and sold guns & gear in the sasswire. I’ve never been burned. We’ve all heard “come for the shooting, stay for the people “  that’s Kinda my feelings on the subject. 

when I go to a match, be it a monthly, or state, regional, or come next fall, National championship, my goal is to shoot as well as I can. Have all my guns and ammo work as intended, have fun. If I manage to win a buckle that’s icing on the cake. I treasure the friends I have made in this game. They certainly mean more to me than a top 10 finish. 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I started in 2012. I generally shoot 3x per month. Made my first Regional last year. I’ve met some fine folks in this game. Do I like all of them? Of course not. But, I will say the % is higher than the people I met playing golf, youth sports with my son, even church. I’ve bought and sold guns & gear in the sasswire. I’ve never been burned. We’ve all heard “come for the shooting, stay for the people “  that’s Kinda my feelings on the subject. 

when I go to a match, be it a monthly, or state, regional, or come next fall, National championship, my goal is to shoot as well as I can. Have all my guns and ammo work as intended, have fun. If I manage to win a buckle that’s icing on the cake. I treasure the friends I have made in this game. They certainly mean more to me than a top 10 finish. 

I can't argue your experience...that would be silly. And I don't doubt your words either.

Here's my experience:

Competed at a high amateur level in Golf, raced motocross at a local level and raced Jetski's at a National level. I've experienced the same kind of thing in all these that you say you've experienced in SASS. I've never been "burned" by anyone in any of these sports...had competitors help me in all sorts of situations...even when a National Title was on the line!  Oh my - how can that be?! Well...because there are good folks in all areas and I would wager a decent amount that the percentages of good people in these sports/games are about the same across the board.

We keep trying like hell to make folks think that SASS/CAS is somehow unique in the "Good People" department...great, if it makes folks feel better about being part of this organization...fine.

By the way, I'm friends with the person that coined that phrase. He's a good guy.

Phantom

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I remember one National Champion saying during one of his...perhaps Pot Induced moments...that he takes some joy in seeing his competitors fail.

"Its not only that I must win, you too must fail." Paraphrasing one of the bad guys in the old Superman movies.

Archived