SASS Wire Forum

Selling on eBay

Snakebite

I've been selling on eBay for over 20 yrs. I'm sure not a big seller, just odds and ends, but during all that time I've maintained a 100% rating. 99% of the those that have bought from me have used the Paypal option. The funds just went into a Paypal account and I reused them when I bought anything on the internet from any place that accepted Paypay. I keep a Low Limit Credit Card on file with them to cover any cost overrun.  Ebay has always pulled monies due them for listings out of that Paypal account and Paypal did the same. I had no bank account attached to Paypal.  It's been a very good arraignment.  So last week I tried to list something on eBay and they will no longer allow you to sell without giving them direct access to your Bank account! They must be allowed to directly deposit and withdraw money for YOUR account or you can no longer sell on ebay. I suppose that big sellers will just open a separate Bank account to use on ebay, but IMO this will kill most of those that just sell occasionally. 

Snakebite

I wonder if they have had a falling out with PayPal?

A couple of years ago I bought something off EBay using PayPal and my Discover card was attached to my PayPal account. Somehow I was double charged so I reported a dispute. Long story real short is PayPal froze my account to investigate for ELEVEN MONTHS!:blink:

Discover would not remove the charge as they said it was viable. :angry:

I fought with them for six months then closed my account. 
All this fuss over a $40 over charge. 
it was $40 well spent. I will not deal with either business now. 

My gal buys and sells things on Ebay. She told me about a month ago that Ebay and PayPal had parted ways. I don't have an account with either so it didn't affect me in any way.

Some details below;

https://www.salehoo.com/blog/ebay-breaks-it-off-with-paypal

I will not deal with PayPal because of the many incidents that have been reported like this one.  I try not to deal with Ebay, either, but have bought a few, a very few, items from them.

Now, for no apparent reason, Amazon is giving me fits and my email keeps dropping me.

Where do I go next?

I have a high feedback rating on eBay.. but no longer sell there.
They have jacked up the fees SO high, I walked away from it.
Very seldom do I have to resort to eBay when I can't find it elsewhere.

The unscrupulous sellers offer a low price.. and high shipping charges... which are not refundable under eBay rules.

I've had a few shyster deals, where the seller was a fraud.
eBay did indeed go into HIS bank account and refunded my money.

I don't let ANYBODY have access to my checking account.
Netflix and Comcast bill my VISA card.
I push monthly medical premiums out to the provider, so I don't miss one and have our medical cancelled without notice.

Never had a thought about buying or selling on eBay and I refuse to use PayPal for anything. My life is just fine without either!;)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Somehow I was double charged so I reported a dispute. Long story real short is PayPal froze my account...

Had the same exact thing happen to me over a 5 dollar shipping label. Told both Co's to pound sand. Never will do business with them ever again. 

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

I've been selling on eBay for over 20 yrs. I'm sure not a big seller, just odds and ends, but during all that time I've maintained a 100% rating. 99% of the those that have bought from me have used the Paypal option. The funds just went into a Paypal account and I reused them when I bought anything on the internet from any place that accepted Paypay. I keep a Low Limit Credit Card on file with them to cover any cost overrun.  Ebay has always pulled monies due them for listings out of that Paypal account and Paypal did the same. I had no bank account attached to Paypal.  It's been a very good arraignment.  So last week I tried to list something on eBay and they will no longer allow you to sell without giving them direct access to your Bank account! They must be allowed to directly deposit and withdraw money for YOUR account or you can no longer sell on ebay. I suppose that big sellers will just open a separate Bank account to use on ebay, but IMO this will kill most of those that just sell occasionally. 

Snakebite

Set up another account with your bank just for eBay.  You get to keep using eBay and eBay only has access to a minor account.  The only downside is that you will have to check more often to prevent over runs since the account will no be linked to a credit card.

I've been a long time seller on eBay; not anymore. They can go pound sand with their direct bank account requirement. I had PayPal problems a long time ago. Have had excellent service from them for the last five years or so. They squared away a scam from China over a Morini airgun front sight in a very prompt manner. Use it a lot.

While EBay has many flaws and policies I don’t agree with it is still a fairly simple method of buying and selling from the convenience of home. I have had very few problems in the years I have used it.

I don't sell a lot stuff, but it was a good place to get rid of "Stuff" that I didn't use. I've been amazed at times... like my $10 Straight Razor that sold for $250! And my old Radio tubes that fetched enough to buy something big! I don't get too involved, and I don't beat my chest and say I'll never do business with them or Paypal again... I will do what is best for ME! If I'm looking for something and find on ebay for the price I want to pay, BANG, I'll buy it. No more than I sell, its not worth the effort to open a special account just for them. O-Well.

Snakebite

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

While EBay has many flaws and policies I don’t agree with it is still a fairly simple method of buying and selling from the convenience of home. I have had very few problems in the years I have used it.

I can appreciate that Bob, but if you give them access to your account just so you can sell that extra set of Holsters/Belt or Loading press,  two very important things can happen. First, they can remove funds from your account on their own. You can NOT stop them if you disagree with the charges. Second and even more important, if they are hacked, the hacker now has your account number and access. Don't think for a moment that they are not vulnerable to being hacked... the US Gov't can seem to keep the hacker out, I doubt that eBay can. I dealt with this early on with Paypal, but after removing all access to My Bank account, and using a special restricted limit Credit Card for ALL transactions, I've had no problems. Bottom line... I'll still buy off of ebay if they have what I want at the price I am willing to pay, But I won't sell if I am forced to give them access to my bank account.

Howdy,

I buy off ebay usually good deals.

Ive been thinking about selling.....probably not now.

An extra bank account ?????? Maybe????

Best

CR

thinkin about it.....

I was once an e-bay-a-holic. Then, they connected with paypal. Before that, I always used U.S. Postal money orders, to purchase items. I never sold on e-bay, I just bought stuff. Anyway, all of a sudden, you could not purchase anything on e-bay, unless you purchased it using Paypal. I looked into Paypal, and they wanted my personal bank account numbers! Yeah, right. No way Jose. Not happening. So I went from looking at e-bay every night, and buying stuff, to quitting cold turkey. Not too long ago, I heard e-bay, and paypal, had split the blanket. I checked, and sure enough, I could buy stuff on there, without having to exclusively use paypal. Since then, I have only bought four small items. 

I think I may have a paypal account, I can't remember, but I never, and won't ever, use it, and they danged sure will never get my personal banking numbers. They have zero business knowing that. They can kiss my grits. E-bay shot themselves in the foot, where I am concerned. 

Just another bone-head management decision, by bone-head managers...a la "new coke".

I lived a long time before e-bay, and paypal, came along. I can live without them from here on in, until I go under.

After reading these things on the Wire here, I dang sure won't do any selling on e-bay. No use in helping pay off those bone-headed managers' Rolls Royce payments.  

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

8 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I can appreciate that Bob, but if you give them access to your account just so you can sell that extra set of Holsters/Belt or Loading press,  two very important things can happen. First, they can remove funds from your account on their own. You can NOT stop them if you disagree with the charges. Second and even more important, if they are hacked, the hacker now has your account number and access. Don't think for a moment that they are not vulnerable to being hacked... the US Gov't can seem to keep the hacker out, I doubt that eBay can. I dealt with this early on with Paypal, but after removing all access to My Bank account, and using a special restricted limit Credit Card for ALL transactions, I've had no problems. Bottom line... I'll still buy off of ebay if they have what I want at the price I am willing to pay, But I won't sell if I am forced to give them access to my bank account.

Every system in the US is vulnerable hacking unfortunately. My buying is all via credit card. When I am divested of my militaria collection I doubt I will be selling anything further on Ebay.

Archived