SASS Wire Forum

Am I the only one?

Highwall

When I was 23 I bought my very own first gun all by myself. It was a Colt Peacemaker in .22LR and .22 Mag. 

First time out with it my buddy and I set up paper targets on a tree at about 25 yds. We

would holster them then quick draw and shoot from the hip. Well I did it just enough times

to holster it and pull the trigger before I drew. I was lucky and only shot a hole in the toe of my boot!

47 years later my buddy still reminds me I have  all my toes. :huh:

2f9xxutnqlh51.jpg

13 minutes ago, Highwall said:

When I was 23 I bought my very own first gun all by myself. It was a Colt Peacemaker in .22LR and .22 Mag. 

First time out with it my buddy and I set up paper targets on a tree at about 25 yds. We

would holster them then quick draw and shoot from the hip. Well I did it just enough times

to holster it and pull the trigger before I drew. I was lucky and only shot a hole in the toe of my boot!

47 years later my buddy still reminds me I have  all my toes. :huh:

2f9xxutnqlh51.jpg

BTW my Buddy had a Browning High Power 9mm and I totally destroyed him in accuracy on paper with the .22 mag! 

revolvers rule!

My wife's Uncle's kid, 17, got shot in the upper leg one time.  He said he dropped the pistol and when he cought it it went off.  About a week later out of the hospital it came out he was doing fast draw with a leather holster no metal lining.  Thumb slipped off the hammer, finger pulling trigger, bullet hole through the leather, dad found after the hospital stay..

I was talking with another shooter at a match one time.  I had one sixgun in my holster (obviously empty off the firing line).  I had a second Colt's SA tucked in my cartridge belt, also empty.  I felt the Colt's start to slip down.  Before I could catch it, it landed in soft sand that held it so the muzzle was pointing directly up at my stomach! :o  No harm, no foul.  BUT... had the hammer been down on a loaded chamber, I'd probably been killed, which is why we should ALWAYS carry the hammer down on an empty chamber unless, of course, you are going into a firefight! (See John Wayne loading the sixth chamber just  before going down to that cabin in "True Grit".)

I always followed Wild Bill's advice have it in your hand as it is faster.   My first pistol was a breaktop Hi Standard 9 shooter with a 1000# hammer spring so fast draw was out as having the 8N along to help pull the hammer back interfered with my woods running.

I never did a quick draw.  But Sawmill Mary's brother and I would do a drill where we had a paper plate at 5 steps. We'd try to draw from the surrender position (hands shoulder height) and try to put 5 shots on the plate in 5 seconds. We could do it with some regulatory with 22s. But seldom with 45Colt.  5 shots, 5 steps, 5 seconds. 

I bought a new one, in 1976, in the 4.4 inch barrel length, with the .22 magnum extra cylinder. 

Later I found a used one, called the "buntline 22", that has a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Still my favorite .22 revolver, hundreds of rounds later. 

I never shot the new one, I bought. It is still new-in-the-box, sitting in my safe. 

Looks like both of them will be the perfect gift, someday, for my 7 year old grandson...Lord willing, and the traitors don't (try to) disarm us.

W.K.  

I was 18. Freshman at LSU. Wanted to earn a few bucks over Christmas holiday. Got a job as a Pinkerton Guard at a big downtown bank, at night. (They had people working in the check clearing dept all night). Boss asked me if I had ever shot a gun. I told him I had.  HE GAVE ME A GUN! Flap holster. Pinkerton policy was never draw your gun, it was just for show.  While I was making my rounds in deserted halls I would fold the flap back and practice my quick draw. 

im proud to say nobody robbed the bank while I was on watch! (Prouder to say I didn’t shoot myself!)  

no - probably not the only one , but a lucky one it sounds , that said - nice looking revolver , not a lot of holster wear on that one , mine shows a lot more , 

Colt .22's are great little guns.

520047206_224-34Colt.thumb.JPG.dd12b48122abb283795313794d8f083a.JPG

This was the second pistol I ever bought, long before I knew was CAS was.   Capable of great accuracy, and fun to shoot.

1354733360_225-5CBIColt.thumb.JPG.1bd9ed178b5b50728985a5c2438d6ee7.JPG

This one I bought after I'd gotten into our sport.  "California Bicentennial" version.   My original "Golden Gun"  Also a fun gun to shoot.

If Colt would build these little .22 peacemaker revolvers again, I'd buy at least two more. 

You can still find used ones, on the gun sites, but they are not cheap (but what is, nowadays?). 

Providing the quality was the same (or better) if Colt built them again, I would think they would sell like hot-cakes.

I greatly prefer my Colt .22 Peacemaker revolver over the Ruger .22 that I have owned since 1965. I have put well over 4,000 rounds though my Colt, and it is still chugging along. One Saturday, back in the 1970's, a friend of mine, and I, shot a full case of 5,000 rounds of .22's. It took most of the day, but that was such fun. 

I needed a cold shower after that shooting session, and perhaps a cigarette too!!!!! :D   

But, the Colt bean-counters, and tons of time in feasibility studies, will likely nix that idea. :blush:

Too bad....for us.

W.K.  

Archived