SASS Wire Forum

Attention Veterans

Sedalia Dave

For those that are veterans but did not stay till retirement the VA has started a program where you can get an ID card showing your status as a veteran without having to carry around a copy of your DD-214.

Not all of us use these discounts but for those that do or wish to see the below link.

A Veteran ID Card (VIC) is a form of photo ID you can use to get discounts offered to Veterans at many restaurants, hotels, stores, and other businesses. Find out if you’re eligible for a Veteran ID Card—and how to apply.

How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

Good to know, thanks for the info!

I live in Florida and you can opt to have Veteran placed onto your drivers license. Wonder if any other states do this as well?

39 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

I live in Florida and you can opt to have Veteran placed onto your drivers license. Wonder if any other states do this as well?

NY offers the option,I have it on my drivers license and got the VA card,

Got one last year.

1 hour ago, John Ruth said:

California does. I have it on mine. 
Oregon does as well. 

1 hour ago, John Ruth said:

Iowa does as well. 

Arizona does but some places do not accept it as being valid because the state was not requiring proof at one point.

SD, Thank you for that link. I will be getting mine. 

I started to get it a couple of years ago when I got the docs to get my veteran status on my license but the VA office I was visiting couldn’t help with that so I just kind of forgot about it until now. :)

13 hours ago, John Ruth said:

Arizona does.....

BUT.....

I have found my VA card gets me all the bennies I could get from another card in my wallet.

I love the fact that my ex neighbor in California gets 10% off at various stores for serving 2 years active duty (1960-1961) and 4 years reserve(1962,63,64,65). He joined out of high school because he had nothing else going for him, learned his lifelong trade of truck driver, shot on the rifle team and now collects $125 per month disability for hearing loss.  Also got free hearing aids ($5,000), cause all of a sudden he can't  hear due to the fact they didn't use hearing protection back then.. He was stationed at Camp Pendelton in San Diego County. Just don't seem right.

2 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I love the fact that my ex neighbor in California gets 10% off at various stores for serving 2 years active duty (1960-1961) and 4 years reserve(1962,63,64,65). He joined out of high school because he had nothing else going for him, learned his lifelong trade of truck driver, shot on the rifle team and now collects $125 per month disability for hearing loss.  Also got free hearing aids ($5,000), cause all of a sudden he can't  hear due to the fact they didn't use hearing protection back then.. He was stationed at Camp Pendelton in San Diego County. Just don't seem right.

Why doesn’t it seem right?   Because he got free hearing aids or that he collects $125 / month?  

6 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Why doesn’t it seem right?   Because he got free hearing aids or that he collects $125 / month?  

Yes, why doesn’t it seem right?

In that time he could have been called up to serve in conflict. Is it his fault he has hearing loss from his active duty? Is he scamming the VA somehow?

Seriously, what doesn’t seem right about it?

7 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Like all vets, your neighbor signed a blank check to put his life on the line for for you and your freedoms. Nothing that he’s receiving seems out of line. 

7 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

What doesn't seem right about compensating our veterans for their physical losses?  I don't get anything for the knee pain I've dealt with for the last 19 years.  Does that seem right to you?

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

SD, Thank you for that link. I will be getting mine. 

I started to get it a couple of years ago when I got the docs to get my veteran status on my license but the VA office I was visiting couldn’t help with that so I just kind of forgot about it until now. :)

The system was a mess when they started. Took a year or more to straighten it out. I tried twice with no luck, then again last year and it worked fine. Did it on line.

I haven’t used it for anything, but like my pistol. I have it in case I need it. :lol:

Our Vets deserve anything that they can receive! Look at the scammers and parasites getting far more than that.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Tennessee has veterans status on their drivers license, but home depot didn’t recognize it. They kept asking me to bring in my 214. The VA card took care of it. 

That’s odd. HD’s in my area accept the Veteran status on my license without question. Perhaps a call to corporate might be in order. 

I guess I don't feel that someone who served two years in peacetime a veteran. He was taught a skill that took him through life, that should be compensation enough. His hearing loss only only became apparent a couple of years ago (at age 76) and he just recently applied for and now receives the monthly benefit.

In contrast, my father in law served 29 years in the Army Air Corps/USAF. He flew B24's in the Pacific , served at the Pentagon during Korea, then served numerous missions in Vietnam flying helicopters.  He had both knees replaced as a result of having to jump out of a burning plane he managed to land. He also had hearing loss. Those B24 engines were pretty loud.

My father served in the USMC in WW2. His brothers were US Navy and Army Air Corps. My brother served in the USAF active duty for 6 years 1965 to 1970 (Vietnam) as a jet mechanic.

The draft ended when I turned 18 so I would have gone to Vietnam  as well. I ended up doing 30 years with the Orange County CA Sheriff's Department.

43 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I guess I don't feel that someone who served two years in peacetime a veteran. He was taught a skill that took him through life, that should be compensation enough. His hearing loss only only became apparent a couple of years ago (at age 76) and he just recently applied for and now receives the monthly benefit.

In contrast, my father in law served 29 years in the Army Air Corps/USAF. He flew B24's in the Pacific , served at the Pentagon during Korea, then served numerous missions in Vietnam flying helicopters.  He had both knees replaced as a result of having to jump out of a burning plane he managed to land. He also had hearing loss. Those B24 engines were pretty loud.

My father served in the USMC in WW2. His brothers were US Navy and Army Air Corps. My brother served in the USAF active duty for 6 years 1965 to 1970 (Vietnam) as a jet mechanic.

The draft ended when I turned 18 so I would have gone to Vietnam  as well. I ended up doing 30 years with the Orange County CA Sheriff's Department.

And your point is??  Anyone who has the intestinal fortitude to be willing to sign their name on a dotted line and be willing to give their life for their country is a Veteran.  I served with a lot of people that never went to war and I don’t consider them any less of a Veteran than me.  I guess you feel that a Deputy that performs court control less of a Deputy than someone who goes out on patrol. 

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I spent 8 years in the Air Force during the cold war era. Never deployed, never saw combat, but...... I was owned by the US Government. When they said get up, I got up. When they said jump, I went into the air before asking how high. Many, many months of 12 hour duty days 6 or 7 days a week, making barely enough money to feed my kids. And if the evil red empire had attacked I would have went where ever I was told to do what ever I was ordered to do. 

So you don't consider us veterans? Well I guess with that logic sheriff's deputies aren't law officers either, just paper servers.  So until you have sworn away your freedom in order to defend your countrymen learn some respect for those who have.

Not a combat veteran perhaps but certainly a veteran.

I weary of the arguments I see between even among vets about who is more veteran than the other. The fact that the military did not send everyone into a combat zone does not detract from at all from honorable service. Being separated. From home and family for years, getting paid half of what you would be making, sacrificing weekends and holidays deserves the thanks of a nation. Military service is a contract. You swear to serve and the government swears to provide you with certain benefits. Service is service. It’s up to the military to decide where and in what capacity you serve. How many people would apply for a job where the employer said, “Just sign here. We’ll think of something for you to do. It may kill you. Or it may not.

Apparently you disagree.

You are entitled to your opinion of course. I do not share it.

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I weary of the arguments I see between even among vets about who is more veteran than the other. The fact that the military did not send everyone into a combat zone does not detract from at all from honorable service. Being separated. From home and family for years, getting paid half of what you would be making, sacrificing weekends and holidays deserves the thanks of a nation. Military service is a contract. You swear to serve and the government swears to provide you with certain benefits. Service is service. It’s up to the military to decide where and in what capacity you serve. How many people would apply for a job where the employer said, “Just sign here. We’ll think of something for you to do. It may kill you. Or it may not.

Apparently you disagree.

That is eloquent, UB. May I use it from time to time?

His hearing loss only only became apparent a couple of years ago (at age 76) and he just recently applied for and now receives the monthly benefit.

I was an Army aviation officer.  700 hours in turbine aircraft plus countless other exercises in support roles around them. 

Hearing loss is cumulative, and at age 55 I have chronic loud tinnitus and high frequency loss. Without the damage in the Army, I would not be at the stage I’m at for several more years. 

I suppose by your standards I should not be getting hearing aids. Within my group of similar-aged friends, I’ll be the only one with aids. I’m also the only veteran. Coincidence?

I'm in Arizona and VETERAN is printed on my driver's license.  I have one of the new style licenses and had to present my DD-214.  I have never had any problem with it.  Of course I look like I was on the losing side so maybe they just feel sorry for me.

2 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I spent 8 years in the Air Force during the cold war era. Never deployed, never saw combat, but...... I was owned by the US Government. When they said get up, I got up. When they said jump, I went into the air before asking how high. Many, many months of 12 hour duty days 6 or 7 days a week, making barely enough money to feed my kids. And if the evil red empire had attacked I would have went where ever I was told to do what ever I was ordered to do. 

So you don't consider us veterans? Well I guess with that logic sheriff's deputies aren't law officers either, just paper servers.  So until you have sworn away your freedom in order to defend your countrymen learn some respect for those who have.

You guys are conflating what I said. I'm talking about a specific individual I have known for 20+ years. Joined the Marines at 18 right out of high school. Peacetime He wasn't married and didn't "leave loved ones behind". Made more money than before he joined, learned a valuable skill. Not sure he sacrificed much. Although a reserve for four more years, he wasn't called back to serve in Vietnam nor did he volunteer to serve. I guess someone else got drafted in his place. As to your unwarranted comment about deputy sheriff's, maybe that's what they do where you live, not so in California.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Apparently you disagree.

Well thought out as usual. However, as I stated above, much of what you wrote does not apply in this case. It does surprisingly sound like my career. 30 years I worked weekends and holidays. Changing shifts every four months, going where and doing what they assign you to do, in some cases into very dangerous situations (L.A. 'Rodney King riots in 1992)

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

And your point is??  Anyone who has the intestinal fortitude to be willing to sign their name on a dotted line and be willing to give their life for their country is a Veteran.  I served with a lot of people that never went to war and I don’t consider them any less of a Veteran than me.  I guess you feel that a Deputy that performs court control less of a Deputy than someone who goes out on patrol. 

And I guess that you are wrong.

I was also a cop for 30 years after the military. So I can look at it from both perspectives. People assume certain similarities between the two jobs. Apples and oranges believe me.
If your problem is with this one individual that’s one thing. But your statement is that you don’t consider a peacetime serviceman a veteran, we will never agree.

4 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L  I’ll just say this it sounds like you got sour grapes because he got hearing aids and a lousy $125/month and we all know how far $125 will get you.  Try not to be envious, life is too short

And you would be wrong again on both counts. This has more to do with what's right and what's wrong. He and his wife (both retired) have a very comfortable life. I think these benefits could have been given to someone who really deserves it.

9 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was also a cop for 30 years after the military. So I can look at it from both perspectives. People assume certain similarities between the two jobs. Apples and oranges believe me.
If your problem is with this one individual that’s one thing. But your statement is that you don’t consider a peacetime serviceman a veteran, we will never agree.

I'm not looking at this from a cop's perspective and I know the difference between the two. You finally hit the nail on the head though, my "problem" (if you want to call it that) is with this one particular person. It just seems to me that he is taking advantage of a system designed to help those veterans in need, which he isn't.

2 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

And you would be wrong again on both counts. This has more to do with what's right and what's wrong. He and his wife (both retired) have a very comfortable life. I think these benefits could have been given to someone who really deserves it.

I'm not looking at this from a cop's perspective and I know the difference between the two. You finally hit the nail on the head though, my "problem" (if you want to call it that) is with this one particular person. It just seems to me that he is taking advantage of a system designed to help those veterans in need, which he isn't.

The system is not set up simply to help needy veterans. That’s an incorrect assumption. I receive a social security check each month. It’s not because I am needy. I paid into the system. Service members have paid into the VA system, perhaps not with money, but In many other ways. 

I guess I don't feel that someone who served two years in peacetime a veteran.

Bottom line is that your statement is your own. Fortunately, the military, the Veterans Administration, and millions of vets disagree with you.
As do I.

I don’t think I’ll be removing any peacetime GIs from the SASS Vets web site.

23 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

BLESS YOUR HEART

49 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

This has more to do with what's right and what's wrong. He and his wife (both retired) have a very comfortable life. I think these benefits could have been given to someone who really deserves it.

So a veteran receiving the veterans’ benefits that he’s earned is “wrong”. 

But somehow you’ve defined “right” and “deserves” based solely the “needs” of a person?

I shall not engage any further in this topic. The first round is on me and let’s debate something relevant. Ginger or MaryAnne?

27 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The system is not set up simply to help needy veterans. That’s an incorrect assumption. I receive a social security check each month. It’s not because I am needy. I paid into the system. Service members have paid into the VA system, perhaps not with money, but In many other ways. 

Bottom line is that your statement is your own. Fortunately, the military, the Veterans Administration, and millions of vets disagree with you.
As do I.

I don’t think I’ll be removing any peacetime GIs from the SASS Vets web site.

I didn't mean to infer only needy, only those more in need than this person. So how are benefits delivered? The guy with two years gets the very same benefits as the guy who did 8, 10, 20 years. Obviously the longer serving career vets also get a pension.

Don't get me started on Social Security.  Way too many who never paid in get benefits. And some who paid in get their benefits reduced because of other retirement income. My ss would be zero because of my Leo retirement.

And I never asked you to remove anyone from your website, that statement has wasn't necessary.

30 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

BLESS YOUR HEART

Why thank you, I'm sure it comes with the utmost of sincerety.

Archived