SASS Wire Forum

looking for two books

Alpo

I don't remember the title or the author of either one.

First one. Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson. Late teens. They are both bored, and they are also both broke. So they decide to go back out west and rob a bank. It was a good book, and I'd like to reread it. If I can find it. It seems like it should be Swarthout. He wrote The Shootist and bless the Beasts and the Children. Can't find any title in his bibliography that sounds like that would be what it is.

Second one. A retelling of Don Quixote, taking place in the mid-60s using an old cowboy and his faithful Indian companion. The only part that sticks into my mind is when some woman was flirting with him at a party and he got a little handsy, and she got upset. He didn't understand why she was upset. She was wearing a red dress, so she must be a hooker. Like the first one, I really enjoyed the book, and would like to reread it.

Any help on either one would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

I didn't mean their late teens. I meant the century's. Masterson died in 1921, so this had to be around '18 or '19 maybe.

Added: yessir, that is the book. How 'bout that. Swarthout. I was right :)

5 hours ago, Shane Not Sean said:

For #2, perhaps one of the books listed here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_influenced_by_Don_Quixote

Thank you sir, but none of those are it.

Found this in the library when I was either in high school or college. Which means no newer than about '75, but also probably no older than '65. Most likely published somewhere in that 10-year range.

Archived